Is Grant a good protagonist

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
BookLoverMC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovermc.html
Latest Review: Better than Harvard by Steve Araba

Re: Is Grant a good protagonist

Post by BookLoverMC »

For me, Grant was a bit of a shallow character. But the bizarre situation he was placed in made him slightly more excitable.
joenduga12
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joenduga12.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by joenduga12 »

yapashley wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 08:19 I think we've somehow given our main protagonists a standard. We accept them flawed but we want them to accept their flaws and show character development. This is what everyone wishes not only any character of a book to be but we, individuals, as well.
Yes. This is quite unfortunate. We tend to think that our favorite character be perfect, even though we know that even on real life it can't be possible.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I feel Grant has shown a lot of potential throughout the story. The story largely focused on him. His flaws made him weak. But still he fits the bill of being likable.
joenduga12
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joenduga12.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by joenduga12 »

To me, he possibly is. It may not be clear or up to our expectations, but that is how the author painted him.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 12:25 I think that the protagonist of the story does not have to be an exceptionally good person to be the main character in a book. I believe that his character flaws are important to the plot.
I totally agree with you. Making a character likable is not wrong but sometimes creating characters that are simply themselves makes the entire plot a little more relatable. Even heroes can sometimes be characters that are not like by everybody or showcase some sort of flaws in their personality, this adds depth to the character and the plot.
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

diana lowery wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:48 He is a "good" protagonist in that he is what drives the story; however, he is a weak character who gets even weaker as the story progresses.
This is the honest truth. We don't need to like the character of the protagonist for him to drive the story.
Grand_bookie
Currently Reading: Water Born
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grand-bookie.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Grand_bookie »

In my opinion, Grant is a good person with flaws. His personality intrigued me till the end. He is a good protagonist, I'd say.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Grant is an average person with merits and flaws. He found himself in a situation that's really out of normal together with other people who sometimes caused problems. I can't blame him for the bad that happened during his journey.
Ciao :)
Massimo
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 12:25 I think that the protagonist of the story does not have to be an exceptionally good person to be the main character in a book. I believe that his character flaws are important to the plot.
I totally agree with you, His character was truly very strong at the beginning but as the plot unfolded we see his flaws and him being the main character this flaws are hard to ignore. I think the authour allowedus to see the flaws of the protagonist so that we can totally identify with him. It is human to have flaws. It enables the author an opportunity to make the story as relatable as possible. Therefore i agree that the protagonist of the tory does not have to be exceptionally good so as to be a fit main character
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:

Post by JeanyJean »

Leen282 wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:17 I think he's a good protagonist. He's human, with good sides and flaws like any person.
This is exactly my point. The fact that he has flaws makes himhuman just like any other human being.
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:

Post by JeanyJean »

diana lowery wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:48 He is a "good" protagonist in that he is what drives the story; however, he is a weak character who gets even weaker as the story progresses.
wooow, i really like this point. He plays his role as the protagonist to the fullest in that he drives the plot of the story to the very end. Isnt that what is important? As for his character, to err is to man so he is just being human.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

His strength plus his many weaknesses makes him a very good protagonist.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I think his flaws make the story more believable. The obvious clues which he didn't notice made me more engaged in the story emotionally. It really worked out well.

So, he's a good protagonist
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

The greatest undoing of Grant was his sexual escapades. This is what may make him not to attain the status of a top-notch protagonist.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I'm only on the fourth chapter so it's probably too soon to make a decision, but even at this early stage I feel his attempting to jump into a relationship with Irina, a woman he just met, seems impulsive and unwise.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”