Largest Obstacle to the expedition

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Re: Largest Obstacle to the expedition

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Sometimes alcohol keeps the notorious problem-makers more sedate, so certain situations may have escalated even further without its availability. I think their biggest hindrance came with a lack of trust and transparency. Mixing soldiers and scientists together with no clear hierarchy can also quickly lead to dissension among the ranks, specialities, and fields of study. As some members died off, a lack of leadership threw everyone into chaotic disarray. Add that to the impulsive sex romps and unpredictable animal attacks, and (most of) these poor souls were bound to lose their way.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

The alcohol caused inhibitions to be lost and was a big factor in a lot of the decisions made. In the beginning the erratic behavior of the man saying he had different information regarding Grant's family member's accident caused Grant to not push for more information and focus more on how his phone was superior.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
NellyDee29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nellydee29.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (French Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: OverDrive

Post by NellyDee29 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 03:24 During the course of the expedition the group overindulged in alcohol and this caused many problems that could have easily been avoided. While they faced many obstacles from terrible weather to wild animals, In my opinion Alcohol was the largest obstacle to the expedition.
What about you, what do you think was the largest obstacle to the expedition?
I agree too that alcohol was the main obstacle to the expedition. There were others like mistrust between them, but once they began drinking it made it difficult for them to make right decisions.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

Most of the people in the expedition were supposed to be professionals, but even before they got influenced by Zona their behavior was dubious.
Ciao :)
Massimo
shynmr
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shynmr.html
Latest Review: My Father Wakes Up Laughing by Jo Simons

Post by shynmr »

I think secrecy was far and away the biggest obstacle. Everyone was on their own expedition, in a manner of speaking, because they were hiding so much from one another. From concealing knowledge to fudging the facts on intent, there is no way to have a cohesive team without sharing everything that people need to be informed and effective at their missions.

As far as some comments on dumping the alcohol, don't you think that could have led to worse consequences? People get pretty inventive when they want something and I imagine a team of scientists and soldiers would have no problem mastering the fermentation process and making their own, potentially more dangerous, alcohol.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I agree that alcohol was a major problem. However, they didn't have trust between them and that can cause a huge problem in itself!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

shynmr wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 07:40 I think secrecy was far and away the biggest obstacle. Everyone was on their own expedition, in a manner of speaking, because they were hiding so much from one another. From concealing knowledge to fudging the facts on intent, there is no way to have a cohesive team without sharing everything that people need to be informed and effective at their missions.

As far as some comments on dumping the alcohol, don't you think that could have led to worse consequences? People get pretty inventive when they want something and I imagine a team of scientists and soldiers would have no problem mastering the fermentation process and making their own, potentially more dangerous, alcohol.
"Everyone was on their own expedition" - This is a great thought. It almost makes me want to go back and read the book with new eyes.
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

I agree that alcohol was one of the major obstacles for their expedition. However, I also think that it merely brought out their true personalities of stinginess and greed. Albeit, I still hold the opinion that if it weren't for the alcohol then things may have turned out to be different for them.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

I think there were too many secrets. Everyone who agreed to go back to Zona should have known everything that Max Volcov and Boris Ustinov knew. They seemed to be going in blind not knowing what to expect.
Angatia
Currently Reading: NADEEM'S JOURNEY
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angatia.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Angatia »

I would say, the expedition itself was full of obstacles from the beginning till the end. Alcohol is believed to be "the mother of all problems/sins" from my religious point of view and it could have been avoided.
Among the obstacles, in my opinion, the weather was the largest obstacle in this expedition.
almeidabel
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almeidabel.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by almeidabel »

I guess alcohol in excess is always a problem
Angatia
Currently Reading: NADEEM'S JOURNEY
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angatia.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Angatia »

You're right Almeidabel, excessive consumption is not only harmful to human health, but spiritual life and IQ as well.
hoosgotd
Currently Reading: Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hoosgotd.html
Latest Review: The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

Post by hoosgotd »

I viewed alcohol as more symbolic of broader issues facing the characters - desire to escape their own demons and inability to bond with/trust each other (hence wanting to dull senses or build up liquid courage). Dumping the alcohol was also losing a potential tool that could have been used later
Salina shafi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salina-shafi.html
Latest Review: The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

Post by Salina shafi »

I feel like alcohol was used to highlight human flaws. It is said that drunk words are sober thoughts
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

shynmr wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 07:40 I think secrecy was far and away the biggest obstacle. Everyone was on their own expedition, in a manner of speaking, because they were hiding so much from one another. From concealing knowledge to fudging the facts on intent, there is no way to have a cohesive team without sharing everything that people need to be informed and effective at their missions.

They could invent something truly monstrous. If they started making alcohol from these strange Zone's plants, ugly things could happen.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”