Overall rating and opinion of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, even the slow parts. However, the set up within the story is critical to the events later on. I was pleased that the author took as much time as he did explaining the vehicles, the technology, and the weaponry because all of this was essential. Yes, it might seem boring learning about sledges and tractors moving across the tundra, as well as electric fences and sleeping arrangements. But having a good idea about how all of these pieces fit together made the events within Zona all the more palatable. I'll agree that all of the subterfuge unfolding at the beginning was a bit unnecessary at times. For instance, stalking FSB headquarters? That was a bit over the top. But all in all, it was a good read and I'm looking forward to the next installment.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Judging by how the book starts, I would give "Zona..." three out of four stars, for the feeling of mystery and anticipation it creates in the reader.
My complaints are related to the use of Saint Petersburg instead of Sankt Petersburg (probably because of the city in the US by the same name) and to the less than precise knowledge of the Russian cuisine, e.g. "borsch'' not "sch", "vareniki" are different from "piroshki".
Marxell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Marxell »

Personally I would say the story in general is a nice one,started of really interesting then along the line it became boring and slow paced. This science fiction book if quite interesting, and the adventure was also nice. I would give it a 3 out of 4 starts
mariya1214
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariya1214.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by mariya1214 »

It was interesting and sprinkled with mystery and makes it a real page turner which makes it a must read .
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I liked the book, but I did not love it. I agree that it was a bit slow at times but there were also good points along the book. The mystery and the adventure were probably what I liked the most. I would recommend reading it but just beware of the slowness that was presented at certain portions of the book.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

It is an intriguing and interesting book. I'd give it a three out of four stars because of slow pace as I read on.
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

I gave this one three stars. I definitely enjoyed the read from start to finish, but I felt like Grant was a little too naive to be completely believable. I actually agree with what seems to be the unpopular opinion: the first few chapters were my favorite. I liked the buildup and I found them very suspenseful. It started feeling a little rushed towards the end (in my opinion).
viviannganyi
Favorite Book: Zeus defied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viviannganyi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by viviannganyi »

Dr. Grant's Uncle Randell is missing and presumed dead. Grant looks into his journals and books to get a clue of where he might be. The clues he gets lead him on an adventure where he meets Irina. They find a land in the mountains in Siberia where huge animals live. Dr. Grant and Irina meet many people on this journey and they go on a life journey that impacts their lives .
I liked the fact that the pollen made everyone horny. This made me laugh out loud. There is nothing I disliked as the author did a great job.
I recommend this book to those who love sci-fi and fantasy genre.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

Though there were some flaws in the book like the pace or the buildup of action as what everyone is mentioning, it still is a good read for those who like science fiction and adventure. I would still recommend this book!
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

When I read the review, I thought to myself, "This is definitely a must read for me". I loved the concept of the plot - adventures augur well with me. As for the sluggish build up of the plot, it can be overlooked if the plot is captivating.
Dunamis_James
Currently Reading: Naked Truth
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Dunamis_James »

The beginning was interesting I also got hooked. Towards the end made me feel like I had wanted my time reading it. I recommend this to science fiction lovers.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Looks like it is a good book. I am looking forward to read this one. Many are talking about the sluggish buildup, so I want to read it myself and find out!
ReadMeow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readmeow.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by ReadMeow »

I read the book out of curiosity after seeing it several times on this website. I thought it was entertaining but I do not think it is a particularly interesting or well-written piece. I felt the author tried too hard to make it interesting, which actually made it boring in some parts. It was different from many sci-fi novels and had a unique premise, but I have to say at time the way women were discussed in the book was weird. And why did all of them have to be pregnant? It was frankly, uncomfortable and not in an artistic, educational way like Toni Morrison did well. If I had to review it I would say a two out of four.
Wonna33
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wonna33.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B07M8QVTK1

Post by Wonna33 »

I found this book mostly entertaining. I liked the storyline but I didn't like how Grant at times seemed oblivious to what was going on around him. The second half was more fast-paced than the first, but I still consider it a solid read. I would recommend it to others.
Fem187
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fem187.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Fem187 »

I love the book. The story is gripping and it's really a good book. I love sci-fi stories and will rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”