Is Sex really necessary?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Re: Is Sex really necessary?

Post by Laura Britos »

Topsey wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:19 Although I agree that sex is not necessarily important for books to include, I don’t think the inclusion here is out of place. I think it demonstrates how one can still be deterred by our more baser/natural instinct, regardless of the various tasks at hand.
I totally agree with you. Even though some people do not enjoy sexual act in books, I think it brings a sense of natural and makes characters more relatable. By showcasing something so natural, one can feel a deeper connection to certain characters.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

In my opinion, sex scenes are not any hindrance. Perhaps authors should bear in mind that some readers do not feel confortable encountering said scenes. Therefore, they could be written in a different way so people could skip those scenes and no part of the plot would be compromised or someone would not miss out on anything.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Ana Victoria2002 wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 21:30
Topsey wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:19 Although I agree that sex is not necessarily important for books to include, I don’t think the inclusion here is out of place. I think it demonstrates how one can still be deterred by our more baser/natural instinct, regardless of the various tasks at hand.
I totally agree with you. Even though some people do not enjoy sexual act in books, I think it brings a sense of natural and makes characters more relatable. By showcasing something so natural, one can feel a deeper connection to certain characters.
Yes, if the characters in a fiction are relatable the reader will feel more connected
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Ana Victoria2002 wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 21:32 In my opinion, sex scenes are not any hindrance. Perhaps authors should bear in mind that some readers do not feel confortable encountering said scenes. Therefore, they could be written in a different way so people could skip those scenes and no part of the plot would be compromised or someone would not miss out on anything.
That is a good suggestion. If they are not a direct part of the plot, then the reader should have the freedom to ignore them
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
D0rcas
Currently Reading: The Heart Goes Last
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by D0rcas »

I definitely think that sex was necessary. Sort of like a break from all the crazy stuff, like a way for the protagonist to just lose himself? It definitely parallels our universe right now, I think...
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Naturally, sex serves therapeutic purposes. Perhaps the sex was to serve as means of easing tension - for Grant -. Although Grant's taste for multiple sexual partners in such a dire situation is unusual.
Live and let live, baby.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Ana Victoria2002 wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 21:32 In my opinion, sex scenes are not any hindrance. Perhaps authors should bear in mind that some readers do not feel comfortable encountering said scenes. Therefore, they could be written in a different way so people could skip those scenes and no part of the plot would be compromised or someone would not miss out on anything.
I believe that if authors were to always bear in mind that 'some' readers do not feel comfortable encountering 'some' scenes, there might never be any complete book. Everyone couldn't possibly feel the same way about a book, there would be a varied opinion, and this would not always be the author's fault.
However, like you pointed out, readers may choose to skip the part of a book that displeases them or choose not to read the book in the first place.
Live and let live, baby.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

spencermack wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 20:40
Sushan wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 10:37 Despite all the dangers and the exhaustion from the expedition, Grant, the protagonist, finds time for sexual encounters.

Has the author depicted the true human nature? Or is this inclusion just to attract the readers who are fond of sexually explicit content? Is sexual content really necessary for fiction?
I would fall along with the idea that it is meant to drive up excitement for the reader. Too bad, it wasn't needed in the narrative.
I agree with you on the view that the author honestly intended to the excitement and 'rush' in the book. Unfortunately, things got out of hand.
Live and let live, baby.
do20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do20.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by do20 »

I think that depicting the author's private life such as having sex with many women was necessary. After all, Grant had a human nature which is made of failures, mistakes as well as successes like any other person.
BookLoverMC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovermc.html
Latest Review: Better than Harvard by Steve Araba

Post by BookLoverMC »

For me, sex scenes in novels are all about how they're done. Too vulgar and it's unreadable, not explicit enough and it's boring. There needs to be a good balance of emotion and sexual content.
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

I don't think those scenes were necessary for the plot and story, but I think they added to Grant's character and showed more of who he is.
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

In as much as I'm not a fan of sexual contents usually found in fiction books, I think this one portrayed in this book is one of the ways to define the character of Grant.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Miks_solon wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 10:47 I'd say it was the latter. Sex is undeniably the reality of a human being. However, that subject is irrelevant especially that the context of the book doesn't revolve around romantic drama.
I agree one hundred percent. It was totally irrelevant in that specific context.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
idoreyen90
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by idoreyen90 »

Well, I think these sex inclusion are sometimes necessary to sort of distract the reader a bit. But having said that , I think it should be reduced to the barest minimum.
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

Ruling out the sex as irrelevant in the book is just defying our human nature. Just because Grant was on an expedition to find his uncle doesn't mean he shuts the natural instinct to have sex. To me, Fred's addition of a sex in the book is pretty normal. No man is an island.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”