Is God Open?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Nicholas Christian
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-christian.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Re: Is God Open?

Post by Nicholas Christian »

This is indeed a hot topic. Questioning God's actions and motives is a taboo to many right-wing Christians and you have shown a lot of courage in taking the bull by the horns.

Well, according to what I know about God, He is a just God. He loves his creation and has therefore given them free will to even doubt His goodness. Therefore, I believe He is open, because of His benevolent gift of free will. He would have prevented Cain from killing Abel, but that would have been in violation of His policy of allowing human beings to do as they want. This aspect of his character is a double-edged sword because, sometimes, one man's meat is another man's poison. In this case, Cain's exercising of his free will led to Abel's untimely demise.
Adeniyi+samson-
Favorite Book: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeniyi-samson.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Adeniyi+samson- »

He does whatever he wants to do at the time he wants to do it.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

I truly believe that God is open, God is approachable, and God has a sense of humor. It seems as though many people put Him on such a high pedestal that it limits their relationship with Him. Just like any parent, I believe God wants a relationship with us.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I think just the idea of answering that God can't limit himself limits God. I totally agree with the general view of God as being anything and everything. Religious Christians tend to see God as a King on a Throne, some even may think of God as a punisher or a rewarder and that's it. But, in my humble opinion, if we humans took time to think of this version of God, we will come to the conclusion that that is just not possible. It contradicts with everything in Christian true beliefs. Yet, some people choose to believe that way and not probe more or play with their thoughts.
God is open. God is everything.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

God is never limited by us. He allows our instincts to meet our destiny. "Is God Open?" - Yes he is. That is why He gave us the choice of choosing right or wrong.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

I think God chooses to limit himself, and in doing so providing free will
Astrid H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrid-h.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Astrid H »

tieman55 wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 11:57 Killing Abel has an Open view of God. Maybe you should as well, just think about it . . .

Can God decide to limit Himself?

If your answer is no, then you and you alone are limiting God.

Does God have the creative abilities and or powers to create beings who are, to some degree, unpredictable?

If your answer is yes, then you must consider whether or not God did just that.

When God decided to become a loving parent of a free will being, He and He alone limited Himself to their free will. WOW, that was one big decision! Becoming a parent always is.

Many readers of Killing Abel object to my open portrayal of God. God’s nature in Killing Abel is, admittedly, much different than much of Christian thought. Most Christians, whether they know it or not, have a Calvinist/ classic Greek view of God. I do not. Greek classical theism believes that God is immutable. I do not. Becoming a parent is a change, and the Son humbling Himself to become a man . . . WOW that is one giant change!
I believe you are right in that God may be more “human” than we think. You can even deduce this from the Bible. God making himself vulnerable is part of being a loving parent. God is not an impersonal always solemn deity. But doesn’t a God that repents and makes itself more vulnerable to us, wishes to have a relationship and even shares his sovereignty makes him more lovable?
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

So many questions! I had to read this post multiple times before formulating a response. I believe God is limitless. I also believe he creates beings with free will, not beings who are unpredictable. He knows how our story could go, but gives us the free will to make choices. He is all knowing.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

Yes God is open, this is shown by the free will He gave to man. God can not be limited by man, He is all powerful and mighty.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

God has the power to decide anything and do anything.

However, God does not need to limit Himself.

What would be the purpose of that?

No, I don't believe God limits himself.

We humans are limited, yes, the creator of humans is not.

I for one, would in no way ever want to be subservient to a diety that is limited.

Why would I?
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
tieman55
Favorite Author: Michael Tieman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 167631

Post by tieman55 »

Ldpuff wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 20:08 So many questions! I had to read this post multiple times before formulating a response. I believe God is limitless. I also believe he creates beings with free will, not beings who are unpredictable. He knows how our story could go, but gives us the free will to make choices. He is all knowing.
If God wanted to, could He choose to forget something?

If you say no then God is not all powerful, if you say yes then you must concede that there may be something He might choose to for get.

Maybe He chooses to forgive and forget forgiven sin?
tieman55
Currently Reading:

Post by tieman55 »

zainherb wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 09:43 God has the power to decide anything and do anything.

However, God does not need to limit Himself.

What would be the purpose of that?

No, I don't believe God limits himself.

We humans are limited, yes, the creator of humans is not.

I for one, would in no way ever want to be subservient to a diety that is limited.

Why would I?
God is and was limited by His love.
He decided to have a Son, He then and there limited Himself out of the love and respect He has for His children.
All loving fathers are limited by love and by the acts of their children, we just are.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

God is never limited, we only limit ourselves by trying to limit Him, and in so doing missing out on all the wonderful experiences we could have with him.
His gift of free will is proof of how open God is, He doesn't hold us back, rather He gives us the opportunity to choose and live with our choices.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

tieman55 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 09:22
Ldpuff wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 20:08 So many questions! I had to read this post multiple times before formulating a response. I believe God is limitless. I also believe he creates beings with free will, not beings who are unpredictable. He knows how our story could go, but gives us the free will to make choices. He is all knowing.
If God wanted to, could He choose to forget something?

If you say no then God is not all powerful, if you say yes then you must concede that there may be something He might choose to for get.

Maybe He chooses to forgive and forget forgiven sin?
I do not think it is about forgetting, I think the focus is to be on forgiving. He does not forget our sins, but they are forgiven. I am sure there are things he is not pleased with us for as we have free will and ultimately choose our paths, but I do not think he can/would forget.
tieman55
Currently Reading:

Post by tieman55 »

[/quote]

I do not think it is about forgetting, I think the focus is to be on forgiving. He does not forget our sins, but they are forgiven. I am sure there are things he is not pleased with us for as we have free will and ultimately choose our paths, but I do not think he can/would forget.
[/quote]

By saying "he" meaning God, can't forget, you are placing a limit on God. You can say that God may choose to not forget, that would not limit God. So, God could choose not to forget something, agreed. But why if your forgiven would God need/want to remember something that He has chosen to forgive?

Also, you have to deal with Psalm 103:12
As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.
That Psalm seems like another way of sayin He has forgotten your forgiven sin.

In addition, in male/female relationships, when one member of the "team" brings up a past "forgiven" trespass, the other person is generally not pleased as forgiven to most means forgotten.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”