Apple vs fig

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Re: Apple vs fig

Post by Essywa »

JM Reviews wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 09:21
kdstrack wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 22:51 I doubt that it would be a fig because the Bible does tell us that the fruit was "pleasing to the eye." A fig is sweet, but it is not pretty!! I believe most people think it could have been an apple since they are pleasing and appetizing to look at. Either way, we can only guess which fruit they ate since this is one area where the Scriptures are silent.
According to this book, the serpent took one fruit, squeezed it until it's juices were flowing. I haven't seen an apple with such amount of juices.
With this kind of description am also doubting if it's an apple.
Essywa
Currently Reading:

Post by Essywa »

monicamu wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 23:29 I don't think it really matters, as it's symbolic. However, I think it's more likely to be a fig as that's more consistent with the climate and the fact that they covered themselves with fig leaves.
Now this one makes sense.
Essywa
Currently Reading:

Post by Essywa »

tieman55 wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 19:34
B Creech wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 11:30 It doesn't tell us anywhere in the Bible what fruit Adam and Eve are from the tree of knowledge in the Bible. I always have heard that it was an apple. I had never heard anyone say it was a fig or any other fruit. God told them (Adam and Eve) not to eat of the "fruit." To my knowledge, the apple is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible, however, the fig tree is. In Mark 11:12-25 Jesus curses the fig tree as a sign the Jewish people don't accept him as the Messiah.

Could the fruit Adam and Eve had eaten in the garden have been a fig as the author portrays? Or was it actually an apple? Or, will we ever know for sure?
Below are my thoughts.

Apple v Fig

I believe a Fig is a much better fit than an apple, for many reasons, some are below.

1. Adam and Eve used "Fig" leaves in an attempt to cover themselves. So they were close to a fig tree.

2. They "sewed" the Fig leaves to themselves: sewed could be translated to stick or stuck and fig juice is very sticky, apple’s have very little juice produced from normal eating.

3. Eve “saw” that the fruit was good for food and pleasing to the eye. The only way you can "see" if a fruit is good for food is to watch it being eaten. A juicy soft fig, or a hard apple: which one is easier to see that “it is good for food” when it is being eaten?

4. The fig tree is a major theme in the Bible and especially in the times of Jesus. It makes sense that there is a good reason why the Fig tree plays such a significant role in the bible, my good reason is that it was the fruit on the tree of knowledge.

5. Israel and the Jews are closely associated with and or connected with the law. Israel and the fig tree are again close to synonyms. The law and the fig tree are connected in that way and others.
Do not eat from the tree in the midst of the garden was the first law.

My conclusion: A fig is far more likely than an apple.
Great observation I do agree with you.
Essywa
Currently Reading:

Post by Essywa »

B Creech wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 18:15
Alicer wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 10:19 The authors perspective of the fruit being a fig is feasible based on the fact that a fig tree is actually mentioned in the Bible. I believe the myth of an apple came from somewhere too based on this, I will agree that it is difficult to determine the actual fruit.
Yes, a fig tree is mentioned in both the Old and New Testament. And when it is mentioned it is always in a negative way - as being cursed or being barren of fruit. Whether or not any of that relates back to the Garden of Eden or not we will never know!
Absolutely correct I do agree.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Divergent fire wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 13:04 Even though, nowhere in the Bible, it's mentioned that this 'fruit" is an apple, from childhood itself, in many stories that I have listened and read by myself, an apple was always used to depict this.
"fruit". This made some kind of concept inside me, about the
"fruit" is an apple. Even during our childhood stage plays of Bible stories, we used apple as the fruit. All these kind of memories make me image, the fruit as an apple.
I understand where you are coming from! The fruit being an apple has been what I was taught from a very young age! I guess that's why it stuck out to me in the book where it was mentioned as a fig! I believe the general consensus from most of us is the fruit was an apple. :)
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Alexandros92 wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 07:16 I think it is not really that important. We are talking metaphorically anyway.
That's true! It was just fun to see what everyone had been taught throughout their lives. :D
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

tanner87cbs wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 08:59 This is just like the controversy over Jonah and the whale. The bible says 'a big fish'. The bible never explicitly states the type of fish or any further details. Just another snare to catch ourselves up in to distract us from the real point of the story.
Exactly! It shows just how impressionable we are when we're children! We grow up being told Adam and Eve ate an apple, and Jonah was swallowed by a whale and we carry that concept throughout our life, even if just in the back of our minds! :D
B. Creech
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

B Creech wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 11:30 It doesn't tell us anywhere in the Bible what fruit Adam and Eve are from the tree of knowledge in the Bible. I always have heard that it was an apple. I had never heard anyone say it was a fig or any other fruit. God told them (Adam and Eve) not to eat of the "fruit." To my knowledge, the apple is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible, however, the fig tree is. In Mark 11:12-25 Jesus curses the fig tree as a sign the Jewish people don't accept him as the Messiah.

Could the fruit Adam and Eve had eaten in the garden have been a fig as the author portrays? Or was it actually an apple? Or, will we ever know for sure?
I was thinking of this thread today when I visited the new Bible Museum in Washington, D.C. Never thought of this, but it could have been a pomegranate. They had the first fruit fruit portrayed as a ripe, beautiful pomegranate....
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 17:55

I was thinking of this thread today when I visited the new Bible Museum in Washington, D.C. Never thought of this, but it could have been a pomegranate. They had the first fruit fruit portrayed as a ripe, beautiful pomegranate....
Someone else had mentioned that somewhere in this thread. I had never thought of it either, but it is possible! This turned into an interesting thread with all the different comments! I like the idea of a pomegranate!
B. Creech
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

I think there is no direct reference but i always heard it as an apple as it is the more common one. However in some more old or professional bibles it is referenced to as a fig.
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Post by Leecedar »

Creech, as you said, all we know is that it was a fruit. Based on the fact that it grows on a tree, I believe we can pretty much rule out melons, but that's about it.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Leecedar wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 10:31

Creech, as you said, all we know is that it was a fruit. Based on the fact that it grows on a tree, I believe we can pretty much rule out melons, but that's about it.
LOL, you're right! Melons would not be an option, but any fruit that grows on a tree is fair game! :lol: :lol:
B. Creech
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

No matter the opinion of men, the Bible did not mention the type of fruit and we should leave it at that.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Although, everyone is led to blow e it was an apple that they ate, how is it possible that we know for sure ? It’s an interesting thought. However, I have never heard about a fig
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Guda LM wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 15:22 We will never know for sure. It has never been referenced anywhere in the Bible. I think Apple became the common reference since maybe it was a common or loved fruit since the ancient days. Otherwise, we will never know
I agree with you. I don't think we'll ever know what fruit that fruit is. We can only make assumptions and we can only believe what we want to believe in. We will never be certain unless God Himself tells us what the fruit s.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”