Apple vs fig

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Apple vs fig

Post by Brenda Creech »

It doesn't tell us anywhere in the Bible what fruit Adam and Eve are from the tree of knowledge in the Bible. I always have heard that it was an apple. I had never heard anyone say it was a fig or any other fruit. God told them (Adam and Eve) not to eat of the "fruit." To my knowledge, the apple is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible, however, the fig tree is. In Mark 11:12-25 Jesus curses the fig tree as a sign the Jewish people don't accept him as the Messiah.

Could the fruit Adam and Eve had eaten in the garden have been a fig as the author portrays? Or was it actually an apple? Or, will we ever know for sure?
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

We will never know for sure. It has never been referenced anywhere in the Bible. I think Apple became the common reference since maybe it was a common or loved fruit since the ancient days. Otherwise, we will never know
Amesthenerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amesthenerd.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by Amesthenerd »

I was always told it was an apple, except the time I was told that the actual real sin was that Eve slept with Satan and that’s where Cain came from. Otherwise it was always an apple. Maybe that’s why apples are so delicious?
Julyet_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julyet-chris.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Julyet_Chris »

I’ve never thought about this but it actually makes sense now one does, The particular fruit was not mentioned and honestly it doesn’t really matter to me.The apple was generally accepted just like most things we accept without questioning.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Gudamercy wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 15:22 We will never know for sure. It has never been referenced anywhere in the Bible. I think Apple became the common reference since maybe it was a common or loved fruit since the ancient days. Otherwise, we will never know
You're absolutely right, we will never know for sure! I just found it interesting that after thinking it was an apple all of my life, why the author chose a fig. Just a fun discussion to see what others have believed down through the year.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Amesthenerd wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 16:41 I was always told it was an apple, except the time I was told that the actual real sin was that Eve slept with Satan and that’s where Cain came from. Otherwise it was always an apple. Maybe that’s why apples are so delicious?
That may be why apples are so delicious! I bet the majority of people who answer this question will say they grew up believing it was an apple. Oh my, to be told Eve slept with Satan must have been a shock!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Julyet_Chris wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 16:41 I’ve never thought about this but it actually makes sense now one does, The particular fruit was not mentioned and honestly it doesn’t really matter to me.The apple was generally accepted just like most things we accept without questioning.
I think the majority of people grew up saying it was an apple. You're right, it doesn't really matter. I just thought it would be a fun discussion seeing what others thought. Also, the Author using a fig, and Jesus Cursing the fig tree, kind of made my eyebrows raise in thought!
B. Creech
Amesthenerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amesthenerd.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by Amesthenerd »

B Creech wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 18:12
Amesthenerd wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 16:41 I was always told it was an apple, except the time I was told that the actual real sin was that Eve slept with Satan and that’s where Cain came from. Otherwise it was always an apple. Maybe that’s why apples are so delicious?
That may be why apples are so delicious! I bet the majority of people who answer this question will say they grew up believing it was an apple. Oh my, to be told Eve slept with Satan must have been a shock!
Am I the only one who was told this? I was maybe 10 or 12, and it was a discussion between and my mom and her friend that they had in the car where I was also present. My mom attends what I describe as ultra-conservative (not quite Amish/Mennonite/Plain) but pretty close to it. I was like what. I think I might’ve read the passage once in an old KJV bible but I’ve NEVER heard it again.
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

A fig does seem more historically accurate. I believe people have used an apple to replace the "fruit" term simply because it is the first thing people come to mind. It is commonly consumed by people today, therefore it is easier to imagine rather than a fig.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I doubt that it would be a fig because the Bible does tell us that the fruit was "pleasing to the eye." A fig is sweet, but it is not pretty!! I believe most people think it could have been an apple since they are pleasing and appetizing to look at. Either way, we can only guess which fruit they ate since this is one area where the Scriptures are silent.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Amesthenerd wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 18:43
B Creech wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 18:12
Am I the only one who was told this? I was maybe 10 or 12, and it was a discussion between and my mom and her friend that they had in the car where I was also present. My mom attends what I describe as ultra-conservative (not quite Amish/Mennonite/Plain) but pretty close to it. I was like what. I think I might’ve read the passage once in an old KJV bible but I’ve NEVER heard it again.
That's interesting. I have never heard it, and have never read it anywhere. Maybe some others have and will mention it!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Xenolyph wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 21:36 A fig does seem more historically accurate. I believe people have used an apple to replace the "fruit" term simply because it is the first thing people come to mind. It is commonly consumed by people today, therefore it is easier to imagine rather than a fig.
I agree that the apple is usually the first thing that comes to mind when fruit is mentioned. I was curious why the author chose a fig over an apple in his story about Adam and Eve. The fig tree was spoken of in the Old Testament as well as in the New Testament when Jesus cursed it. I just thought it was an interesting choice by the author.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

kdstrack wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 22:51 I doubt that it would be a fig because the Bible does tell us that the fruit was "pleasing to the eye." A fig is sweet, but it is not pretty!! I believe most people think it could have been an apple since they are pleasing and appetizing to look at. Either way, we can only guess which fruit they ate since this is one area where the Scriptures are silent.
That is so true, the fig is not pretty! It is a delicious fruit, but if it was side by side with an apple I would choose the apple due to the appearance of the fig! :lol: :lol:
B. Creech
Arwa_here
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arwa-here.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arwa_here »

fig being not visually pleasing is a good theory. However, apple is the the most common fruit people refer to when talking about eve. I've also heard that it was a grain of wheat Eve ate, not a fruit. I guess we won't know the complete truth about it.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

B Creech wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 02:04
kdstrack wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 22:51 I doubt that it would be a fig because the Bible does tell us that the fruit was "pleasing to the eye." A fig is sweet, but it is not pretty!! I believe most people think it could have been an apple since they are pleasing and appetizing to look at. Either way, we can only guess which fruit they ate since this is one area where the Scriptures are silent.
That is so true, the fig is not pretty! It is a delicious fruit, but if it was side by side with an apple I would choose the apple due to the appearance of the fig! :lol: :lol:
This was the first time that I had heard the fig suggested as the forbidden fruit!

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”