Apple vs fig

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Helen91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen91.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Re: Apple vs fig

Post by Helen91 »

I don't think we would ever be able to answer this. But I always thought it was an Apple
eddhee_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by eddhee_ »

We can't say for sure. Overtime, people refer to it as apple. The more we try to analyse it, the more confused we will be.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

I've always grown up knowing it's an apple, although the author's suggestion that it was a fig and his reference caught me for a while 😂. I don't think it matters anyway. Not that I'd stop eating either of those, they already ruined it for us 😆
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

_Bokeh wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 12:12 I've always grown up knowing it's an apple, although the author's suggestion that it was a fig and his reference caught me for a while 😂. I don't think it matters anyway. Not that I'd stop eating either of those, they already ruined it for us 😆
I guess the author wanted his story to be different so he chose the fig. The Bible would have clearly said fig or apple if it was necessary. However, the Bible does call the tree something else. So I will stick with it being called knowledge, good and evil.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

What an interesting question. I honestly had never considered specifically what fruit they had eaten. I too have always heard that it was an apple and believed that to be true. I don’t believe that the fruit matters though, as it is just a small detail.
Primetjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primetjay.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Primetjay »

Woow! How come we've been associating Apple with the fall so this while.. just getting to know no fruit was mentioned.. but nah! I still don't think it's a Fig .. Lol!
Better an apple
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

B Creech wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 11:30 It doesn't tell us anywhere in the Bible what fruit Adam and Eve are from the tree of knowledge in the Bible. I always have heard that it was an apple. I had never heard anyone say it was a fig or any other fruit. God told them (Adam and Eve) not to eat of the "fruit." To my knowledge, the apple is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible, however, the fig tree is. In Mark 11:12-25 Jesus curses the fig tree as a sign the Jewish people don't accept him as the Messiah.

Could the fruit Adam and Eve had eaten in the garden have been a fig as the author portrays? Or was it actually an apple? Or, will we ever know for sure?
Every story I've heard since I was a kid, it was an apple. This is the first time I've heard it was a fig. It's impossible to know for sure.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

pablo10 wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 08:53
B Creech wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 11:30 It doesn't tell us anywhere in the Bible what fruit Adam and Eve are from the tree of knowledge in the Bible. I always have heard that it was an apple. I had never heard anyone say it was a fig or any other fruit. God told them (Adam and Eve) not to eat of the "fruit." To my knowledge, the apple is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible, however, the fig tree is. In Mark 11:12-25 Jesus curses the fig tree as a sign the Jewish people don't accept him as the Messiah.

Could the fruit Adam and Eve had eaten in the garden have been a fig as the author portrays? Or was it actually an apple? Or, will we ever know for sure?
Every story I've heard since I was a kid, it was an apple. This is the first time I've heard it was a fig. It's impossible to know for sure.
I think the majority of people grew up being told it was an apple. There have been some interesting comments to this though!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

This is an interesting idea, and it never occurred to me it may have been anything other than an apple! Sadly, there's no way to know for certain...
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

We don't know. We probably will never know.
Perhaps we are not meant to know, so we can focus on the point of the story.
Which is that, choices have consequences, and disobeying God, has negative consequences.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Liefvirannebelle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liefvirannebelle.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Liefvirannebelle »

Some people believe it was the pomegranate a fig is also plausable I do wonder why the apple was chosen.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Being catholic and learning the story of Adam and Eve many times- I have always learned that it was an apple. Could be a fig- but we will never know. It’s a thought provoking and deep question. Are our minds set to the apple because that’s what most of us have heard ? And does a fig have the same meaning behind it?
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Never have really given it a thought. It is just mentioned as a fruit in the scripture. The mainstream potrayal of "fruit" as apple is due to abundance and commonality all across the globe, I presume.
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

We will never know for sure until the day we get to ask God Himself what the fruit was. I would like to believe it was not any fruit that we currently know. I think the apple is often depicted as being the fruit because it is such an accessible and common fruit. We say "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Apples are placed on top of heads and arrows are shot at them. In Greek mythology, Eris throws The Apple of Discord into the crowd and causes a stir. Snow White eats a poisoned apple and falls into a deadly slumber. The apple seems to be the chief representative of all fruits :lol2:
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Fig as a fruit was more likely to be available in the Middle Eastern region. Fig also finds quite widespread application in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. Because of this historical perspective, I feel fig as a choice is more prudent than apple.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”