Caining a Son

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Liefvirannebelle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liefvirannebelle.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Re: Caining a Son

Post by Liefvirannebelle »

Its true the circumstances of gis birth and the stigma around him developed traits already present. Abel wass sweet his whole life. Abel could have saved himself but no he was proud
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

MeganDJ wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 04:52 I found this book to be a truly fascinating read, but this particular passage piqued my interest:

"Cain’s foundation was the root of his inner conflict. The whole family knew the circumstances of the birth of Cain: he was the thirteenth born, borne of knowledge. Then Abel, the fourteenth child, had been conceived through faith. That everybody knew of the circumstances of Cain’s birth was not helping him. In reality, Cain’s birth had been no different from any other birth. But in the minds of men, the fact that he had been the thirteenth born made it different. Thirteen was a number that had come to mean rebellion―as it had been on Friday, the thirteenth day of creation, that Adam had eaten from the tree―and this day would be remembered forevermore as unlucky."

Do you believe the circumstances of Cain's birth is what ignited his rebellious nature, even before entering the world? Or do you think it was the fact that everyone knew of the circumstances of his birth, and therefore his nature was developed from the expectations of those around him?

Additionally, Cain also has an issue with his name and states numerous times the expectation of that name. Do you think his personality and demeanour may have been different if his name wasn't Cain?
To be honest, I didn't really agree with the author's depiction of Cain at all.
Aeesha Bashir
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aeesha.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Aeesha Bashir »

Even though I'm a firm believer in the power of names. I don't think his name had anything to do with his personality. I believe he just wanted to be distinct from his siblings and his father.
Aeesha :techie-studyinggray:
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

I didn't understand why Cain felt that way about his name. I even feel that he should have felt honoured because he was an answered prayer to his parents.
Prestige-best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prestige-best.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prestige-best »

I had a lot of challenges reading this part. There should be more explanation about this part.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

I totally did not agree with the author here. First I don't think it is scientifically possible to Cain a son. I also think that the circumstances surrounding once brith and Name has nothing to do with the person's nature or personality. We choose what we want to become and do.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I believe it was the circumstances he was brought up in where everybody believed he was born rebellious. Even how the sisters treated him was different to how they treated Abel
ankundachloe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankundachloe.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by ankundachloe »

I believe Cain chose his own path of life that was different from the rest not because of being the thirteenth born or having been given the name Cain, but rather because he wanted to be different from the rest. It was his own heart and mind that determined his choices in life.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

This was one of the places I had to disagree with the author completely while reading. I don't think the circumstances surrounding ones birth or his/her name has any effect on the persons personality or character.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

:liar:
Leen282 wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 13:48 I sincerely hope the name didn't impact his personality. He would probably also have disliked another name. I can imagine him feeling annoyed about the rest of the family talking about the circumstances of his birth. Being born as 13d child is not causing rebellion in my opinion, but being talked about all the time can get on someone's nerves.
Good point.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I believed the fact that he was informed about the circumstances of his conception and birth and the meaning of his name is what made the difference. If he did not know about it it would have made a big difference, he would not have believed that he was "different" from anybody else. I believe you are what you think and from the beginning, Cain was told he was different and he believed it with his whole heart.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

This was the only confusing aspect of this book for me. I found it difficult to understand the authors writing here.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

When the world is constantly telling someone that they are one particular thing, such as bad, then of course it's easier to fall into those stereotypes so that push made it easy for Cain to end up bad because everyone treated him as such.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

I feel like people's names has great effect on them, if Cain's name was changed, maybe it would have been a different thing.
IbrahimOtegbade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahimotegbade.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by IbrahimOtegbade »

It isn't the number or name, it is Cain's decision that leads him to his death at the end. He has a chance to repent but he is too obsessed to turn back.

I understand that names have effect on people back then, but there are a few people whose names were changed by God in the Bible. So, in the end, it's the person not the name.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”