Caining a Son

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Caining a Son

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Maybe he would have been a different character if the circumstances were different. Even today we see how peer pressure and the environmental facts influence one's character development
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
charlenecraig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crcraig.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra by A Ali Hasan Ali

Post by charlenecraig »

God gave mankind free will at the time Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden. Cain had the same free will to choose his path. He may have let others influence him but again, it was his choice. Much as we have the same choices today. We can let others influence us or choose to follow God's will.
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

I wouldn't say it had anything to do with the number 13, but I think that was God's plan and I don't think it should be questioned since it's a story from the Bible and not something someone just came up with.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Kelyn wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 16:18 It's not whether or not he believed the number of his birth was unlucky. Everyone around him, including his family, believed it and therefore treated him differently...and probably not in a kind way. I believe babies are born as blank slates. Both nature and nurture affect how they develop. In that environment what child wouldn't grow up resentful of being singled out and 'spat on' (figuratively) because of something he had no control over?
I like the point above. Cain most definitely had free will. However, how we are nurtured has a great impact on how we perceive ourselves and the world around us.
peace starts with a smile...
rwalkup
Currently Reading: The Copper Gauntlet
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwalkup.html
Latest Review: E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by rwalkup »

There wasn't really a huge society yet or any particular factors to pressure Cain. He was the first person to commit murder so it's not like there was some sort of person who was influencing him to murder his brother.
taejin jin
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taejin-jin.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by taejin jin »

I think it was the fact that everyone knew of the circumstances of his birth, and therefore he grew up with these expectations of wrongdoing. However, it was still his choice to become the way he was.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 13:54
wendilou49 wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 11:44 I don't believe his name or the fact that he was born as the "unlucky" number of children in his family. I believe that Cain chose to follow his own will rather than listen to God's voice. It's the same today, I can have 3 or 4 children and raise them all the same...and yet one may chose to rebel while another chooses to follow God's word. Believing in circumstances is like believing in old wives' tales. The number 13 is no more unlucky than any other.
Well said! I could not agree more. However, what I never understood is why one chooses to rebel and the another one doesn't... :eusa-think: but I do believe number 13 is not the reason.
Obviously, it was Cain's decision to rebel and this had nothing to do with the name or the number 13.
Nicolene75
Favorite Book: Redeeming Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolene75.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nicolene75 »

I have to say when I read that passage in the book I thought to myself oh that's opening a can of worms! In my humble opinion (and yes, I could be mistaken): I'm not gonna take it as accurate, I mean this is, after all, a book of fiction ...?

I am a reader, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Xenolyph wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 15:03 Back then, numbers played a huge role in life. It wasn't so much a superstition but an emphasis placed on them by God himself. Although we can disagree with Cain's treatment today due to research and scientific analysis, I believe Cain's treatment was supported by numbers. I can understand why others acted the way they did base on the numbers surrounded Cain's birth.
This makes a lot of sense. The people of those times and even the Jews till now, name children based on the circumstances of their birth.
Live and let live, baby.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Being born on the 13th a 'dark' day is perhaps a pointer so an observer can see a tortured soul. People always talking about him simply exposed what was hidden on the inside of him. Someone else can be treated in the same manner Cain was treated and react differently. It was Cain's choice to fester evil on the inside.
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-rita30.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

I think it's the fact that others knew the circumstances surrounding Cain's birth and thus already had expectations for him that helped fuel his rebellious spirit. Plus his name didn't help matters. These only made him feel worse affected his self esteem a great deal.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I found this passage to be very interesting as well. I also didn't realize this was where the stigma of Friday the 13th came from! I definitely think his attitude/actions were a result of the way others treated him. You always see that children are affected by their environment and circumstances. No one is born inherently bad or inherently good in my opinion. Cain is not different.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
keiyoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keiyoshi.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by keiyoshi »

While the superstitions and expectations about him probably affected his view of himself, let us remember that we don't have to be who we're born to be and what diverts us from our planned path is our choices. Maybe that's where Cain's life is rooted upon.
Marvin85
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marvin85.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Marvin85 »

I think the misdeed of Cain was not inspired by the fate that befell his name and other external factors, these are only coincidental in nature. The sin of Cain was a result of his own choice to rebel against God.
Haywhyre7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haywhyre7.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Haywhyre7 »

It just might be a factor actually as the number thing may have made a victim to a certain bad vibe around the house that was unused on his brother

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”