Was sending Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden a blessing or a curse?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Hibashaikh1509
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Re: Was sending Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden a blessing or a curse?

Post by Hibashaikh1509 »

I believe the spending down of Adam and Eve is both a boon and a bane. According to the viewpoint of Adam and Eve, the grief of not baring a child is devastating. It is also a boon to mankind for obvious reasons. It is believed that they were the first parents, so humanity was a gift of the curse.
Heathereads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heathereads.html
Latest Review: Her Eyes Underwater by Romona Simon

Post by Heathereads »

By its very origin, the expulsion of Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden was a curse. However, the Garden of Eden would not have lasted forever, even if Eve had not eaten the forbidden fruit. Humankind is sinful and would have been punished as soon as the next person committed a similar act to that of Eve’s.
jerimiahsebastian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerimiahsebastian.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by jerimiahsebastian »

In my opinion though, the question isn't just one that could be potentially answered from a human mind like mine but I think its a blessing and not a curse because God ways are different from human ways and his thoughts for humans aren't the same as God. So I take the incident as a Blessing
Chikom
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chikom »

Leen282 wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 11:40 I didn't read it as a curse. To me, it's a consequence of their actions. Since there's no comparison to what their life would have been had they been allowed to stay, it's hard to say if in the end it's more a curse or more a blessing.
I agree with you. Choices have consequences!
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Alexandros92 wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 06:56 Sending them out of the Garden is neither. It is just the natural outcome of their choice. Since the fruit basically symbolizes the lack of trust toward nature and God and thus the awaking of the Ego and the need for knowledge, it is only natural that human beings found themselves to be isolated. It is not a curse and not a blessing.

If humans trusted God and let go of their Ego, the gates of Eden would reopen in the afterlife. It is a choice, nobody is punishing us.
What an interesting perspective!
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html

Post by Imstaci-1 »

Alexandros92 wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 06:56 Sending them out of the Garden is neither. It is just the natural outcome of their choice. Since the fruit basically symbolizes the lack of trust toward nature and God and thus the awaking of the Ego and the need for knowledge, it is only natural that human beings found themselves to be isolated. It is not a curse and not a blessing.

If humans trusted God and let go of their Ego, the gates of Eden would reopen in the afterlife. It is a choice, nobody is punishing us.
I have to agree with this one. Eating the tree of life meant we now have the ability to know and the difference between wrong and right. It is a choice. Thanks for sharing.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html

Post by Imstaci-1 »

If only we could forever have the innocence of a child.....
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

It was a blessing because after committing sin, they realised how perfect everything was and how they were shielded from the harshness of life.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

Wyzdomania_Gskillz wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 10:50
JM Reviews wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 04:38 Just after Adam and Eve had eaten from the tree of knowledge, God drove them away from the Garden. The author of this book seems to justify every curse that God put on Adam. At some point, Adam seems grateful for the curses. What really captured my attention was the justification of the fact that God sent them away from Eden. Do you think the main purpose was to protect them from Lucifer? Do you believe that eating from the tree of life would have worsened the situation?
I don't think I could have put it any better.
First of all, God didn't put any curse what so ever on man. He only cursed the ground because of man and then increased the pains of childbearing for the woman. He didn't even introduce the pains at that time, He only increased it.....meaning the woman was already meant to experience some pain during childbirth, but probably not much.

Secondly, sending the man and woman away from the garden was for their good and that of mankind to come. That was the singular act that ensured they could be redeemed again. Because if they had gone ahead to eat from the tree of life after the fall (which I suppose they were already eating from before the fall, seeing as the tree of knowledge of good and evil was the only forbidden one), they would have lived perpetually in that fallen state with no possibility of redemption....
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
Keotiee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Keotiee »

I won't call it a curse because Adam and eve were disobedient that was their punishment and it shaped out their character
Clancy193
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy193.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Clancy193 »

Personally I don't see God sending Adam and Eve out of eden as a curse. It's a blessing in my opinion and I solely agree with others comment, saying the ways of man and God aren't the same. There was some reason behind it. The plan of God for our loves as human is always of good intent. So I think of it as a blessing.
Katielvs2read
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katielvs2read.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Katielvs2read »

Do you think humanity would still be here if they hadn't been driven from the garden? If they never got into trouble then they never would have left the "utopia." They wouldn't have needed anything or anyone else to complete their lives. They never would have felt shame or loss or incomplete. Apparently we have the serpent to thank for those negative feelings.
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Lhammamy »

It was definitely a punishment but not a curse. We always believe that whatever God chooses for us is a bless. Even when we suffer because of it, it is a blessing. Anyway, a blessing or a suffer we were created to live our lives on earth not in the heaven so... sending Adam and Eve to earth was the destined conscience of their disobedience.
kparikh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kparikh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by kparikh »

Technically it was just punishment. He asked them to not eat anything from the Garden of Eden and they did. Simple as that. Really it is us that decide whether it was a punishment or a curse... would you rather be living in a world where we walked around aimlessly?
_tiyaah
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by _tiyaah »

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, so I see it neither as a blessing or a curse its more like dealing with consequences

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”