The First Murder

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

The First Murder

Post by slj3988 »

There is much debate amongst the religious community over the birth of murder as a sin. My question is if the devil hadn't tricked or persuaded mankind to commit such sins, would humanity have gone a different way?

It is argued by some that we are all born with original sin. We are all capable of such monstrosity. Given that we have free will, can we fairly blame evil on an entity outside ourselves?
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

Yes i believe so. According to me, I think it was God's plan so that mankind would be descended onto the earth to fulfill God's will.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

That is a very good question. Unfortunately, we'll never know the answer.

And what comes to your second question, I suppose Eve and Adam were not born with original sin, but they used their freedom of choice and as a result, everyone who's come after them is born with original sin. But even with this original sin we still have the freedom to choose what we do and what we don't do... That's what I've reasoned about this difficult topic so far.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Usuma Khan
Currently Reading: Hands Across The Sea
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Usuma Khan »

The doctrine of original sin means that each human being is born into the world with an inherently selfish nature, and has to learn to love others and to love God. Original sin is a uniquely Christian doctrine. Neither Judaism nor Islam has a doctrine of original sin; in these religions, sin is personal and freely chosen. Each person is therefore responsible only for his or her own sin.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

Yes I agree...each person is responsible for their own sins. The devil merely wispers and encourages people to do bad, but people can choose to ignore that and do good. So we may have influences - religious doctrines ask us to do good and the devil asks is to do bad; but human beings are responsible for themselves and what they do...otherwise it would not be right to punish sinners id they did not choose to win right?
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

Definitely humanity could have gone a different way, because God didn't create humans to be dominated by evil. And he also didn't create them to be slaves or robots programed to worship him; rather, he gave them the free will chose good or bad. They chose evil, and here we're today.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 09:49 That is a very good question. Unfortunately, we'll never know the answer.

And what comes to your second question, I suppose Eve and Adam were not born with original sin, but they used their freedom of choice and as a result, everyone who's come after them is born with original sin. But even with this original sin we still have the freedom to choose what we do and what we don't do... That's what I've reasoned about this difficult topic so far.
Perfectly explained. :tiphat:
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

I think God gave us freewill for a purpose. He expects us to do the right thing. I believe humanity would have gone a different way because we will be focused on obeying our Creator and enjoying His fellowship.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I believe if Adam and Eve had never sinned humanity would have definitely gone a different way. Jesus would not have had to come to earth and die for our sins, because I don't believe we would have sinned! I believe the reason we are born with sinful tendencies is because of Adam and Eve sinning. That is just my personal opinion. We do have free will and it is our decision to make. I still tell my children, "Every day when you get up you have one of two choices to make - you can do what is right, or you can do what is wrong. If you choose to take the wrong path, don't blame God for the potholes!"
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 09:49 That is a very good question. Unfortunately, we'll never know the answer.

I agree with you! That is how I see it too.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reubeney
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reubeney.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by Reubeney »

I also think we are born with original sin due to the fall of Adam and Eve in the garden which made the whole human generation sinful. But thanks for the gift of His son who redeems anyone who makes a choice to believe in Him. So I believe it all goes back to the issue of using our own free will to make a decision to believe or not. To do the right or not.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

The book of Genesis shows that Adam and Eve were created innocent and free of sin. God interacted (fellowshiped) with them directly so at the time mankind had a good relationship with God. It was until they were tricked out of their innocence that sin was birthed into mankind’s nature.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

The choice that Adam and Eve made, simply means that every person born after can choose good or evil. Those choices are personal and each person is held responsible. The devil simply encourages evil or presents it as the other choice and he is also held responsible for his part.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

We are all prone to commit sin but we don't necessarily have to. We live in a world where we have been made aware of the influence of both God and Satan on us. God, as someone who always wants our good, has exposed Satan to us and warned us of the consequences of following him (in other words, of disobeying God). It's up to us to choose. Known only too well today, Jesus is man's friend and Savior who saves us from Satan's traps and helps us in our battle against the deceiver. So it ultimately depends on us to refrain from or succumb to evil.
The highest purpose of art is to inspire. What else can you do? What else can you do for anyone but inspire them? -Bob Dylan
Marshal mutai
Currently Reading: The Sojourners
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marshal-mutai.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Marshal mutai »

My take is that God allows us to be tempted within our means. He doesn't subject us to temptations we cannot overcome. He's testing our faith and trust in Him. He allows the evil one to play a role

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”