Is there misogyny in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
ardalgarcia
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardalgarcia.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Re: Is there misogyny in the book?

Post by ardalgarcia »

Mstrtim wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 13:20 If not misogyny, there is considerable sexual stereotyping given to the women. The author exploits Eve's vanity and the vanity of her daughter Eva. The obsession with personal appearance is over the top as Eve struts around in new clothes. Consider, also, that Eva creates the first "handbag" that contains a sewing kit and comb. Why is this even necessary to include in the story?
Yeah I didn't like this bit either: seemed very unnecessary. I found the women far less well developed in the book than the men. Maybe this is right for the times but I personally thought it was annoying.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

The book aside, sometimes, I think that the bible (old testament) promoted misogyny and patriarchy.
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

All Abrahamic religions contain ideas that today's people would find misogynistic. We should not forget that the Bible is a text written in an ancient desert. I quote the words I heard in an interview about Saudi Arabia a few weeks ago:

"In a desert, everything is always extreme. Either it is day or night. Either very cold or very hot. That gives the illusion that the world is divided into two. Either you are with me or not. Either you are good or evil. Either light or darkness"

To further elaborate on this idea of absolute division, desert people tend to distinguish between male and female in ways that other tribes do not. The Piraha tribe of the Amazon for example, according to the book "do not sleep, there are snakes", does not have such extreme divisions, and males wear at times female clothing.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

Of course there is misogyny in this book. Every organized religion in the world contains at least some degree of misogyny, and some a great deal. That's why we call it "the patriarchy."
_priyamvada_
Favorite Book: the book theif
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyamvada.html
Latest Review: Pivotal Moments by Susanne Birgersdotter
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by _priyamvada_ »

There isn't any misogyny in the book but there is inequality
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

The book only referenced from what is written in the bible. No, the book isn't misogynist. Perhaps the original one.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I think that even in the Bible from which the author’s book derives, there is indeed a bit of misogyny since Eve was a meted a much greater punishment than Adam. Some may say that it was well deserved since she was the one who first gave into temptation but I think that the punishment was far greater than her wrongdoing. So it is expected that the book will have a slight element of misogyny as well.
MissJill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by MissJill »

Misogyny in Biblical books-- not necessarily directly biblical books, but books dealing with the themes and stories prevalent in the Bible-- is always an interesting topic. We have the idea of balancing our understanding that the text on which "Killing Abel" was based on often treated their female characters much more harshly than their male counterparts, with our more modern context of what misogyny is.

Saying that, "Killing Abel" definitely showcased that Adam and Eve were punished "justly" for their crimes, but maybe Eve's punishment (having her freewill taken away) seemed harsher because of the way we, ladies, still struggle with the perception of having less of a vocal choice in real life than men.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

Looking from a feminist's point of view, one would say that there's some sort of prejudice against the female race. This is due to the submissive role that Eve plays towards Adam. However, I think God willed for every partner in marriage to submit to each other.
Tjbarn86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjbarn86.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by Tjbarn86 »

FaithMO19 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 09:41 I don't think there's misogyny in the book. We shouldn't consider the gravity of their punishments because both of them perpetrated the act, and they both got punished for it.
Seems to me like you're low-key just disregarding the gravity of Eve's punishment weighing more than Adam's. I personally think she was punished right, since she incorporated Adam into the act of the fall after she'd been tricked by the serpent based on the original story .
LiLj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilj.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by LiLj »

I don't think that there is misogyny, God knows all so all of his punishments he knew were going to be fair and just.
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

When I look back at the story of creation, I think they were both punished severely. Adam was doomed to till the earth and slave away until he died and returned to that same earth. Both man and woman was fated to struggle.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

moowshiri wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 14:36 Looking from a feminist's point of view, one would say that there's some sort of prejudice against the female race. This is due to the submissive role that Eve plays towards Adam. However, I think God willed for every partner in marriage to submit to each other.
Yes I agree that in marriage every partner needs to submit to the other. That's what makes it a marriage. In the modern world, one cannot expect to dominate over their wife/husband in their partnership. It is not a parent-child relationship. You cannot have a successful relationship if you do not know how to relate.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Both Adam and Eve were punished. However, if you read the original story while both are punished only the Woman (Eve) gets the promise of the Saviour coming through her. God is just! He rewarded her for putting the blame where it belonged on the serpent.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Awesomeliker wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 13:40 Eve's punishment was quite brutal in my opinion. I'm not saying Adam's wasn't but Eve had to give up her free will. What's your opinion?
I don't think there's misogyny in the book. The author is just writing the story from the point of view of the bible.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”