Do you think the motive for killing Abel was portrayed in the correct way?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
BB Ombayo
Currently Reading: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb-ombayo.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Re: Do you think the motive for killing Abel was portrayed in the correct way?

Post by BB Ombayo »

ArriettyClock wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 07:29 As the Book of Genesis doesn't actually specify a reason for Cain killing Abel, do you think that the motives in this novel were portrayed in the correct way? Should there have been more specified motives in this book, or do you think it would have been best to leave absolutely no motive?
The Bible does tell the reason for Abel's murder by Cain, jealousy. God accepted Abel's offering and rejected that which was offered by Cain. This is motive enough, I mean even today, people kill one another mostly due to jealousy
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Purges of the Soul by Cathy S Birn

Post by BookBoyP »

The Bible says that Abel was killed due to jealousy. So, I don't think this book portrayed it accurately. Plus, it's just fiction.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Surely, it was well portrayed. The motive was instigated by jealousy and actualized in a bid to gain everything that Abel was promised by God.
tieman55
Favorite Author: Michael Tieman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 167631

Post by tieman55 »

ArriettyClock wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 07:29 As the Book of Genesis doesn't actually specify a reason for Cain killing Abel, do you think that the motives in this novel were portrayed in the correct way? Should there have been more specified motives in this book, or do you think it would have been best to leave absolutely no motive?
The way Killing Abel sees the conflict between Cain and Abel using the available biblical text.

The Bible gives us the occupations of the brothers and I see three other clues to what happens between the brother.

Cain was a farmer.
Abel was a rancher.

And the three clues are:

1. it was about the sacrifice.
2. It was about Cain's offering at the sacrifice.
3. And there is one clue that has literally never been notice before my book Killing Abel . . . The bible says Cain brought "fruit of the soil" to the offering and that is the key to discovering the motive!

No where in the bible past or forward does fruit come from or of the soil. It comes from a tree, a branch, a vine, a market, a person . . . but it does not come from the soil. In fact fruit that touches the soil is consider spoiled in the bible. No where in the bible is there any problem with grains or fruits as an offering as long as they are clean.

In Killing Abel, Cain is going through the motions of offering a sacrifice while never actually bringing anything but worthless "fruit of the soil" (spoiled fruit). soiled has always equaled spoiled, just add the p.

Abel trades with his brother often, and slowly Cain starts taking advantage of his brother. Abel then grows tired of getting the raw end of the deal, finally Abel cuts his brother off from a good acceptable lamb in exchange for soiled fruit . . . and Cain is not happy, as Adam and or God are not pleased with the soiled fruit that Cain shows up with at the sacrifice.

Cain confronts his brother in a field. Cain, "Why didn't you help me at the sacrifice today? Are you not your brothers keeper?" Abel, "Brother I have helped you time and again with a spotless lamb when I shouldn't have, what I meant for good, has turned you to use me and more importunately not honor God or father, just as father warned me it would" Cain, "Father? You have been talking to father about me?" . . . and it went downhill from there . . .

"fruit of the soil" is the clue that no one has ever linked to Cain Killing Abel.
Sheetal_22564
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheetal-22564.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sheetal_22564 »

It was specified that it was due to jealousy but I don't think the reason was actually justified for the heinous act Cain committed.
- Sheetal
Becccccca+98
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becccccca-98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Becccccca+98 »

Nerea wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 08:47 It does specify. Cain killed Abel because he was jealous of him. Why? Because God accepted Abel's sacrifices, but rejected Cain's sacrifices.(Ref: Gen 4:3-8) "His rejection of Cain’s sacrifice resulted in the wrong disposition being made clearly manifest by Cain. “The works of the flesh” now began to be openly produced by Cain: “enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger.”

As for the book's motives, I won't comment on that.
I thought as much, but I wasn't too sure I couldn't really remember it. Thanks for cleaning that up for me! :)
Becccccca+98
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becccccca-98.html

Post by Becccccca+98 »

Well, even though the bible specifically states the reason why Cain killed Abel; maybe the way it's written in the bible didn't coincide with the author's portrayal of them? All things considered, the book is still a work of fiction so I guess the author can tweak things around to make his story work.
ambuya_33
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ambuya_33 »

i think the motive was potrayed very well in the sense that prior to the actual killing cain had showed clearly that he was jelousy of his brother for his offering had been acceptable to God. Even today we find some people who become Jelousy if someone even in church become to close to the pastor some even try to destroy or denigrate the person over such issues. :no-spoil:
Ballbender
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ballbender.html
Latest Review: Mother of Peace by Carol Klavon

Post by Ballbender »

Yes I think the stories are portrayed well. This book links up to the stories from the Old Testament. The book is well structured and exciting. It shows deceit, jealousy and love of God. It’s definitely a nice book to read.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

My understanding is that Cain was jealous of Abel. But the author did not describe too much on it. It was a short readout of this book. I would not compare this book to the Bible. It is a novel, so I am expecting the imagination of the author.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

It was evident that jealousy that made Cain to kill Abel. Moreover,Abel suddenly stopped helping Cain in sacrifice, which could have triggered sudden outburst of anger.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
LiLj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilj.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by LiLj »

I don’t think the book portrayed it at all in the right way, the Bible says that Cain was jealous of Abel.
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

The reason for Cain killing Abel was outlined as jealousy and I think the author did a good job portraying the motives clearly in the book.
- The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. —Dr. Seuss
MichaelCarsonReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaelcarsonreads.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MichaelCarsonReads »

I think that the motive was presented in the right way. It was surprising and exciting.
Duncann679
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duncann679.html

Post by Duncann679 »

The Bible specifies that Cain killed his brother out of jealousy.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”