Is the Bible incomplete?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
himawari333
Currently Reading: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Bookshelf Size: 1291

Re: Is the Bible incomplete?

Post by himawari333 »

It depends on what belief you subscribe to, I suppose. The Jewish Torah and the Christian Bible actually referred from the same accounts when they were being written. It just so happened that the Torah had a few more accounts the Bible decided to leave out as their church thought that those four or five accounts were not in line with the message Jesus Christ preached in the New Testament. Aside from that, there are probably about hundreds of other historical accounts from the same time periods that were discussed in both religious texts. These weren't included as they were said not to be anointed by Yahweh or the Christian God. It's important to remember that canonical history is written by larger institutions that have a particular view on the events that transpired. But when you ask a variety of people, each person will always have a different perspective or a different take based on what they themselves experienced or learned about.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 10:06 The author gives additional descriptions, which are not found in the original Bible, to the story from creating Adam and Eve, up to the worldwide flood. Most of who has studied the Bible must have had his/her own thoughts regarding these lacking parts. Does this mean that the Bible is incomplete? On the other hand, is it righteous to add after-notes to a religious book like the Bible?
The book is fiction. The author uses the Bible as a backbone for an imaginative story. In my opinion, the Bible is complete, since it's meant to be as it is.
Nidhi_391005
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidhi-391005.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Nidhi_391005 »

Officialboluwatife wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:04 Seeing the book is presented as fiction, I see no reason for the comparison. As Christians, I don't think our mind should be after the completeness of the bible. Rather it should be about the significance of the bible we have at hand in our life.
I think the Bible is complete. This book is a work of fiction so there is no comparison. I also agree that we should give more important to the significance of the Bible rather than its completeness.
Nidhi_391005
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidhi-391005.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Nidhi_391005 »

Officialboluwatife wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:04 Seeing the book is presented as fiction, I see no reason for the comparison. As Christians, I don't think our mind should be after the completeness of the bible. Rather it should be about the significance of the bible we have at hand in our life.
I think the Bible is complete. This book is a work of fiction so there is no comparison. I agree that we should give importance to the significance of Bible rather than its completeness.
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Post by Leecedar »

B Creech wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 02:25 Revelation 22:18-19 (NIV) says (paraphrasing) not to add anything to, or take anything away from God's Word.
One thing, My fair lady Creech. It also says in several places in Deuteronomy that you shall not add to nor take away from God's Word and His Commandments. So for the sole purpose of argument, wouldn't that make the entire New Testament a violation of God's Word, since it was written after the Old Testament was completed?

Lee
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Leecedar wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 16:20
B Creech wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 02:25 Revelation 22:18-19 (NIV) says (paraphrasing) not to add anything to, or take anything away from God's Word.
One thing, My fair lady Creech. It also says in several places in Deuteronomy that you shall not add to nor take away from God's Word and His Commandments. So for the sole purpose of argument, wouldn't that make the entire New Testament a violation of God's Word, since it was written after the Old Testament was completed?

Lee
That's an excellent question, Lee. I don't believe the New Testament is a violation of God's Word because in the Old Testament they were under the law of the land. Christ had not arrived yet. In the New Testament, since Jesus had come and is the ruler of the world as Christians we live under grace. We no longer have to live under Old Testament laws such as never entering the temple and having a Priest take our prayers before God. After the crucifixion and the veil of the temple was torn from top to bottom we are now allowed to approach God ourselves. The laws changed due to Jesus fulfilling His reason for coming to earth. That doesn't mean we don't have to obey regular laws, I am just talking about the difference in the laws for Christians in the Old Testament vs the New Testament. So I don't believe the New Testament is a violation, I believe it is also the inspired word of God just like the Old Testament. Sometimes I have difficulty explaining my thoughts clearly, so I hope I made sense! :D :)
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyrus-michino.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Cyrus Michino »

From my basic understanding of the Bible from my religious studies, the Bible was written by people inspired by the HolyGhost. I can't really share an input when it comes to things concerning God.
Veraok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veraok.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Veraok »

The Bible is a very complete book that doesn't need addition or subtraction. Since the story is a fictional one, I don't think it should contradict the Holy book.
Nicholas Christian
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-christian.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Nicholas Christian »

I believe all that is necessary for us to know is included in the Bible. There is no need to fill in unnecessary details, because it would make the reading tedious and obscure the intended messages found in the Holy Book.
Havilaobito
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Havilaobito »

I strongly believe that the bible is complete. It is perfectly complete as God wants it to be. Looking at the book of revelation, it is a sin to add or subtract from the bible. If you take your time to read through the bible you will come to discover that the bible is complete, down from the creation of man, to the flood up to the book of revelation. It is unreligious to add to the bible
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I believe the Bible is complete since its inspired by God, and God is perfect and doesn't make mistakes. So, I think k it's wrong of the author to make up stories that isn't from the Bible.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

This has been a question asked for years now. Considering that the Bible has been translated into several languages and revised severally, I am tempted to believe that the Bible is not complete
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I don't think the Bible is incomplete, and I don't find it ok to add religious notes to the Bible.
Seadorf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seadorf.html
Latest Review: The ultimate love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Seadorf »

The Bible has been around for centuries now and has been transcribed, translated and compiled from various sources. It's definitely possible that the contents of the Bible is not in its purest form
Swamp witch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swamp-witch.html
Latest Review: Evolution's Edge by J.K. Pascall , Aaron E. Davis

Post by Swamp witch »

Ummmmmmm do you guys not know how the Bible was put together? Look up Constantine and the Bible. It answers all your questions and leaves with twice as any more.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”