Abuse/overemphasis of the grace of God by the Author?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Claude Belemu
Currently Reading: The Goal
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claude-belemu.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Abuse/overemphasis of the grace of God by the Author?

Post by Claude Belemu »

Did anyone feel the author may have overemphasized the grace of God to the detriment of a Christian's duty to 'carry their own cross' and 'die to self' as we are commanded to do? Or was it a balanced and spirit-filled/approved view that did not seek to abuse this grace as a few may be accustomed to doing. Thanks
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

I support the fact that the book revolves around the same topic that it is titles i.e "God:s Grace". Always remember that grace is a gift and we can never get enough of it.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Lydia Matson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Odyssey
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-matson.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Lydia Matson »

I did not get that impression when reading the book, but now that I think about it I can see how it might come across that way. I think it is trying to emphasize that without Jesus, we are dead in our sin, and therefore need to rely on God's grace to be saved.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

The author might have over-emphasized on the topic of grace that it tips the balance. One should never forget that God is a complex entity unlike humans and that one aspect of Him should not rule out all others.
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

This makes me think to the Gospel I heard in church this Sunday. It speaks about 'fearing God' which the priest explained to be the recognition and awe that God is great. I think this would mean both recognizing God's grace and forgiveness but also being aware of his almighty power. Hence the fear is twofold, and the book should not overemphasize either in my opinion.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I think of grace as an experience that humble you to the extent that you want to be like Jesus including carrying one's cross. So I don't think grace can be overemphasized because it can't dissuade someone from observing what scripture commands.
Chiagbanwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiagbanwe.html

Post by Chiagbanwe »

The mystery of grace is deeper than we can imagine. Enough of it may not be discovered in just a book. I believe the author was writing about grace in the best way that he experienced and felt.
S Chifunda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-chifunda.html
Latest Review: The Margin of Error by Beverly Grasley

Post by S Chifunda »

I would not like to consider what the author did as over-emphasis. Everyone has a different story to tell and therefore grace is interpreted differently by individuals.
Uncle_Praise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uncle-praise.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uncle_Praise »

I would totally not consider the author as overemphasizing God's grace in the book. I see this from a different angle, and I respect the verse in the bible that says: Shall we continue to sin that grace may abound?
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

I don't think so! Grace is an unmerited favor given to humans by God by his only son dying on the cross for our sins. It is in fact, the bedrock of Christianity! So, despite the fact that we must carry our cross and go through temptations, that God's grace is there for us all through Christ Jesus. I don't see any abuse by the author.
Pendrick reckon
Favorite Book: Pekari
Currently Reading: Heartaches 2
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by Pendrick reckon »

Good reviews. This book have a powerful words and it means some things for me. I think we all know that we're in the God protection but most of the people doesn't know. Wonderful. Congratulations to author and BOTD
Tochukwu Godson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tochukwu-godson.html

Post by Tochukwu Godson »

I don't seem to believe that the author overemphasized the place of grace in the life of a believer; I only think that it the duty of the spirit-filled believer to find a balance between the two seemingly conflicting truths.
Ben97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben97.html

Post by Ben97 »

Chiagbanwe wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 13:19 The mystery of grace is deeper than we can imagine. Enough of it may not be discovered in just a book. I believe the author was writing about grace in the best way that he experienced and felt.
I would agree with you. I think the topic of grace cannot be exhausted in one read, hence, the author just discussed all information that he could manage in this book.
NellyDee29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nellydee29.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (French Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: OverDrive

Post by NellyDee29 »

I don't agree that the author overemphasised the grace of God in a believer's life. This is because we all know that without the grace of God, many of us would have been lost. So the author was trying to show us how God's favour is upon us.
morijin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morijin.html

Post by morijin »

At first, I did not get that impression when reading the book, but now that I think about it I can see how it might come across that way. I think it is trying to emphasize that without Jesus, we are dead in our sin, and therefore need to rely on God's grace to be saved.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”