Do you like Gillam‘s writing style at the beginning of the book "House of Eire" ?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Do you like Gillam‘s writing style at the beginning of the book "House of Eire" ?

Post by Liz Alice »

The beginning was a bit confusing. I was quite tempted to give up. But now I'm really glad I didn't.
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Mrunalpatki »

I think we should follow the series through to get a good hang of all the author's books.
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

At first, it looked like I was missing something, but then I also realised that understanding a writers style from the beginning is quite a hard but to crack. I believe this book is no exception.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I felt that it dragged a little at the beginning, and it was a little confusing in its jump between characters and POVs. I was 28% into the book before I really got into the story, but I liked the way we got to know Hillary and her family before jumping into the more interesting pieces of the plot.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Princepetr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princepetr.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Princepetr »

It was very difficult at the beginning, but as time goes on, I'm able to get his in full. I was never bored reading it. The writer try’s to capture the readers mind .
Reviewer1969
Currently Reading: Avatar: The Last Airbender-North and South
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer1969.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Reviewer1969 »

I'm wondering if someone who has read the previous book in this series could reply to my comment. Was there a startling difference in how she began this book compared to the other? Should all readers begin with the first book in the series before reading this one to gain a better understanding? I feel I still enjoyed the book regardless but I can't help but to feel I may have missed some integral meaning.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

We're on this one together. I even though of leaving the book. But through patience and endurance, I finally started enjoying it.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Melisa Jane »

KCWolf wrote: 06 May 2020, 11:20 I felt that it dragged a little at the beginning, and it was a little confusing in its jump between characters and POVs. I was 28% into the book before I really got into the story, but I liked the way we got to know Hillary and her family before jumping into the more interesting pieces of the plot.
I agree with you... Maybe the author should consider improving the pace of the first pages so that readers may not be put off.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Mrunalpatki wrote: 04 May 2020, 00:17 I think we should follow the series through to get a good hang of all the author's books.
Honestly, I didn't even realize this is a series ( maybe because I haven't read it's reviews). If that's the case, then starting the series from book one will surely do the trick.

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Liz Alice wrote: 03 May 2020, 23:52 The beginning was a bit confusing. I was quite tempted to give up. But now I'm really glad I didn't.
The same thought crossed my mind... I hope the author is taking note of it.

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 13:41
Princepetr10 wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 06:49 At the beginning of the book , i had difficulties in understanding . The first few pages seemed heavy for me . As I struggled reading , I began to enjoy it and got the Rhythm of the book . The writer used this pattern and tools to capture the readers .
I think I fully understood the book after finished it. I had trouble at the beginning too. I credit it due to the fact that this is a series after all, so maybe I missed out on not reading previous books.
So this isn't a standalone after all?

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Raycheal+2020 wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 15:06 The style of the author was new to me. I felt confused at first. I had to start go over to the beginning twice. But I loved the slowed paced way she told the story.
Funny that I didn't like the slow pace, especially at the beginning of the book, but readers are different and looks like our preference is contrasting.

~ Scott Hughes
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

Interesting how different readers had a different perception of which part was the slowest. Possibly for the beginning the perception was due to a feeling of dragging.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Joshuaomollo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshuaomollo.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Joshuaomollo »

It took a lot of patience for me to read past those first pages of the book. It got better towards the end though
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

It's pathetic to hear that you people have difficulty grasping the book's idea from the first pages of the book.
Though I've not been opportuned to read. Nevertheless, its not a book that interest me most

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”