Seamus

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Seamus

Post by kdstrack »

I found it interesting that the author decided to let Seamus survive while Sarah was killed! I wonder if the author wants to give him a chance to have more of a backbone in the future and 'redeem' himself. In this book, he shifted between good/bad guy. It would be interesting if, in a future book, he decided to honor the memory of Bridget and help Hillary find her mother.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I don't think Seamus was evil at the core, but he had gotten too far in and his actions were all destructive because he was trying to save his own skin. I would be surprised to see him again.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 11:06 I don't think Seamus was evil at the core, but he had gotten too far in and his actions were all destructive because he was trying to save his own skin. I would be surprised to see him again.
I think that too. He was very grey and believable character. What with all the bad choices he made and went too far as you said.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

Personally, I didn't like Seamus. He had several opportunities to do the right thing, but each time he chooses the reverse. I think he received more than a second chance to show his good side. But his unbalanced behavior made the story a bit more intriguing.
Sonasteve
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Sonasteve »

To me Seamus is a pretender. He pretended that he is in love with Hillary but with a hidden agenda driven with greed for money. There is no probability that his good side will prevail and i think he will survive in the next volume of the series because he play an important role in the novel
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

InStoree wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 05:11 Personally, I didn't like Seamus. He had several opportunities to do the right thing, but each time he chooses the reverse. I think he received more than a second chance to show his good side. But his unbalanced behavior made the story a bit more intriguing.
I agree with you. I also didn't like him. I could even wonder why he was so reluctant to redeem himself.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
hmorgan90
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmorgan90.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by hmorgan90 »

aacodreanu wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 14:37 What is Seamus' role in the development of the story? Is there any hope for him to survive and show up in the last volume of the series?
Will the good side of him prevail?
I had issues with him. You could see that he was a good guy and that he should have been a good guy. Somehow he ended up doing some shady things. Did not care for him as a character. I hope he comes back in a redemption arch.
May we show increased kindness toward one another. ~Thomas S. Monson
:animals-frog:
alliekaye00
Currently Reading: All the Missing Girls
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by alliekaye00 »

I wasn't a huge fan either. I didn't enjoy his personality and the way that he choose to defy the better decisions that could have been made.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

While he did act like as good foil, I didn’t particularly like him as a character. He always seemed to think of the most complicated, unnecessary ideas.
alicia_fountain
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8717">The Brothers Karamazov</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-fountain.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by alicia_fountain »

I've read a lot of opinions about Seamus, including in other forums. It seems like he was an odd character and his actions were not necessarily what a normal human might make. I.e. he was straight-up acting weird. I think the author would do well to not have him in the next book.
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by jhunt »

I wanted to Seamus make good decisions in the end to redeem himself, but ultimately he was just too far gone on the dark side.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

IchbineinBerliner wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 15:36 I agree that Seamus was a foil for Hillary, among others. I don't think he will show up in the next book. He was weak-willed and pretty boring.

There is always room for anyone to change, but that doesn't make change easy or likely.
I agree that he was boring. What I got from his ending is that everyone is redeemable but the person has to actually take steps towards redemption. Seamus chose not to do that, sadly.
kelvingat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvingat.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by kelvingat »

His good side will not prevail and according to me he will survive in the next series of this novel because he has an important part to play.
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomascshearman1976.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ThomasCShearman1976 »

I quite liked the balance the character Seamus brought to the story. I do think the author missed a trick in not developing him a bit more. He was making some pretty big decisions about life and death and it would have been interesting to have seen a bit more of that play out in actions.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

InStoree wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 05:11 Personally, I didn't like Seamus. He had several opportunities to do the right thing, but each time he chooses the reverse. I think he received more than a second chance to show his good side. But his unbalanced behavior made the story a bit more intriguing.
Would like to echo. I do not like Seamus either. But it might be necessary to make the reading more interesting.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”