History and Mystery

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Re: History and Mystery

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

VictorKE wrote: 24 Apr 2020, 00:06 Very true.Though,I have never been to Ireland,but the detailed description made by the author brought a clear picture of the place.
Nor have I, although I have read a great deal about it and its mythology. The clear descriptions the author made given how vividly they were done, brought Ireland to life before our eyes. Thanks so much for dropping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
blessing_bona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-bona.html
Latest Review: Oh Daddy Chronicles by Barry Robbins

Post by blessing_bona »

Sometimes, books like this make you want to experience a place firsthand. I'm not in a position to access her accuracy at the time because I haven't been to Ireland.
I can only depend on the report of those familiar with the land.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

blessing_bona wrote: 25 Apr 2020, 00:48 Sometimes, books like this make you want to experience a place firsthand. I'm not in a position to access her accuracy at the time because I haven't been to Ireland.
I can only depend on the report of those familiar with the land.
I haven't visited Ireland (yet) either, but I've read a lot about it over the years. The author's information about and vivid descriptions of the country match up perfectly to what I've read about the beauty of the country and its fascinating lore. Thanks for dropping by and commenting!
blessing_bona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-bona.html
Latest Review: Oh Daddy Chronicles by Barry Robbins

Post by blessing_bona »

That's quite impressive
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I have never been to Ireland, neither do I know much about it but the author did a very good job giving me an idea of what the country is like.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

blessing_bona wrote: 25 Apr 2020, 14:36 That's quite impressive
Jajachris wrote: 14 May 2020, 11:27 I have never been to Ireland, neither do I know much about it but the author did a very good job giving me an idea of what the country is like.
I haven't been yet either, though I do intend to go in the future. The author did do a wonderful job at her research so that she was able to describe the country in such vivid detail. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

Adedayo+23 wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 19:10
ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 10:16 I have never been to Ireland, so I don't know how accurate of a judge I am. However, after reading this book I felt like I had gotten a glimpse of the country. The places that the author described felt real. Castles, cliffs, a Catholic church service, bed and breakfasts with twin beds and no air conditioning... All of these details made the setting feel real.
I quite agree. The vividly detailed portrayal of places and events in the book gave it a realistic feel that went far beyond just imagined fiction.
I felt the exact same way when reading this novel! Gillam uses such beautiful language when she describes the Irish landscape and settings. The inclusion of a map at the beginning also helped me get into what I was reading as I could easily locate major places in the story. The contrast of a lush landscape with an intriguing mystery made this such an entertaining book.
talloyd01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talloyd01.html
Latest Review: Inside the Mind of a Successful CEO by David V. Mastran

Post by talloyd01 »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 10:16 I have never been to Ireland, so I don't know how accurate of a judge I am. However, after reading this book I felt like I had gotten a glimpse of the country. The places that the author described felt real. Castles, cliffs, a Catholic church service, bed and breakfasts with twin beds and no air conditioning... All of these details made the setting feel real.
Castles, cliffs and churches is a very accurate way to describe Ireland!
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

I have read plenty of books that use Ireland as the setting, and the language used to describe the landscape is usually quite similar. This book is no exception, though having never visited Ireland myself, I cannot speak to this novel's authenticity.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I've never been to Ireland, so I can't be categorical, but the author did sound like she'd put in a lot of work with research and asking questions to deliver a convincing background setting.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Mehwish Qaiser
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehwish-qaiser.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Mehwish Qaiser »

The author did a wonderful job with the setting and context, though I have never been to Ireland, I could imagine images such as buildings, statues, the arrangement of settlements and beautiful landscape, thanks to the authors amazing descriptions.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

Kelyn wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 23:20 As a long time student of every aspect of Ireland, I have read anything and everything I could get my hands on about the country. I was delighted with the authenticity the author displayed when describing the country. I was equally as pleased with the way she was able to work in the mystery aspect while still staying respectfully true to Irish history and tragedies. She really seems to have done her homework! Based on what you read in the book, do you think (as I do) the author was successful in her realistic depiction of Ireland and its history? Why or why not? What parts of the book made you feel that way?
I am also quite interested in Ireland and am actually attempting to teach myself Irish Gaelic right now (and mostly failing). I love when an author uses Ireland as a setting and I think the author did do well in this aspect. They seemed to really know what they are talking about.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

AmyMarie2171 wrote: 18 May 2020, 18:09 I have read plenty of books that use Ireland as the setting, and the language used to describe the landscape is usually quite similar. This book is no exception, though having never visited Ireland myself, I cannot speak to this novel's authenticity.
Vickie Noel wrote: 21 May 2020, 04:57 I've never been to Ireland, so I can't be categorical, but the author did sound like she'd put in a lot of work with research and asking questions to deliver a convincing background setting.
Mehwish Qaiser wrote: 21 May 2020, 08:34 The author did a wonderful job with the setting and context, though I have never been to Ireland, I could imagine images such as buildings, statues, the arrangement of settlements and beautiful landscape, thanks to the authors amazing descriptions.
The author did her research well. I haven't been to Ireland either (yet), but from all I've read, she seems to have given realistic descriptions of the landscape, buildings, settlements, and communities. Not having seen it for myself means that I can't categorically say that she did it perfectly, but I can say that she did far more than an adequate job! Thanks to all of you for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

History and mystery both combined always get the readers.
MorganKnightOfficial
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganknightofficial.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by MorganKnightOfficial »

I loved the accurate way in which the author approached this! I also found it amazing that the history was fresh and new: not cliched at all!!

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”