What Was Your Favorite Moment or Feature of this Novel? What Was the Worst?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Re: What Was Your Favorite Moment or Feature of this Novel? What Was the Worst?

Post by Namaste23 »

My favorite part was ed and Hillary's marriage. It seemed so genuine. I also was thinking about Claire being unattended when they were tending to Sarah. The first thing I would do was find my child and keep them with me every second.
Reny94
Currently Reading: The Undeparted
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Reny94 »

What I loved about this book is how detailed every thing was. The places, the scenes. I'm a very sensitive person and dramatic scenes get to me so it made me tear up a little. I don't thing there was a "worst" moment.. maybe the incident. :)
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

My favorite aspect of this book is definitely the Irish history depiction. It painted a very eye opening picture of some of the history. I didn't care much for the characters.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Wyland wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 06:12 I liked best the historical descriptions of the monuments, religious artifacts, and various tragedies such as the great famine that has befallen the country.
Didn't she do a great job with that? I learned so much from reading a book that was supposedly fiction. That's the great part about reading..you just never know what you might find when you pick up a mystery novel! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate it! :)
Everything happens for a reason...
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

praise+anyi wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 14:41 I truly loved the relationship Hilliary built & shared with her daughter. I also loved the fusion of the myths & history of Ireland to the story. It opened my eyes to a lot of things.
Me too! I didn't know all of that about Ireland, and I was astonished by the fact that I learned so much from a book that was a murder mystery. Usually, the setting takes a back seat in this type of book, but she is a skilled writer with making sure the setting was a priority. Thank you for sharing your thought with me on this. I appreciate it. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

En+kay wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:37 I love the beautiful scenic description of the Ireland country settings, the mom- daughter relationship between Hillary and claire, the put offs is the unwarranted murders
The murders surprised me too! I won't say here who that happened to so it won't spoil it in case someone takes a peek at this, but wow..I couldn't believe that those who were victims were the ones! The description of the setting was fantastic I thought. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate it. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 16:35 The history lessons in this book were everything! The author did a great deal of justice in relying such vital pieces of information about Ireland.
The murder mystery was my least liked.
I think you are in good company with what you liked and what was least liked. That seems to be a common message from the readers I have seen comments from. I thought the author did a fantastic job on the setting and I learned so much from that about Ireland. The murders were not my favorite just because of the way it happened. I know it was to be a shock factor, but I didn't like it. This isn't my normal genre, so it could just be that too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts here with me. I appreciate it. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Namaste23 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 20:48 My favorite part was ed and Hillary's marriage. It seemed so genuine. I also was thinking about Claire being unattended when they were tending to Sarah. The first thing I would do was find my child and keep them with me every second.
Absolutely to both statements here. I thought Ed was supportive and very caring toward his wife. The part where Claire was left alone freaked me out. I read faster to make sure she was safe. I could not understand that. But, I guess it was a foreshadowing perhaps? I appreciate your sharing your comments with me. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Reny94 wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 03:06 What I loved about this book is how detailed every thing was. The places, the scenes. I'm a very sensitive person and dramatic scenes get to me so it made me tear up a little. I don't thing there was a "worst" moment.. maybe the incident. :)
I agree with you. There were such beautiful descriptions of things, and this author has a great talent for translating words to visual mental images for a reader. The murders were shocking to me. And, I am not sure how I feel about all that yet. Thank you for commenting and sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate it. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

tsh1001 wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 10:52 My favorite aspect of this book is definitely the Irish history depiction. It painted a very eye opening picture of some of the history. I didn't care much for the characters.
I learned a lot about Ireland! I had no idea what the full history of that place was and I walked away from this book a much more knowledgable person. I struggled too with some of the characters. There were a couple who didn't feel so 'real' to me, but maybe this author's strength is more for description vs. character development? Thank you for sharing your thoughts here with me. I appreciate it. :)
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

For me I really liked the description of Ireland, it was quite appealing. I also liked the mother and child relationship between Hilary and Claire. I was worried for Claire when her hair got caught on the plane. As someone who protects her mane, I know how bad she would feel if anything happens to her hair.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Laurina_Olowo wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 09:21 For me I really liked the description of Ireland, it was quite appealing. I also liked the mother and child relationship between Hilary and Claire. I was worried for Claire when her hair got caught on the plane. As someone who protects her mane, I know how bad she would feel if anything happens to her hair.
I think the strongest suit of this author was her description of the setting of Ireland. I dream of going there now someday when the world is less in a panic. :) I got my hair caught in a fan one time when I was little (I am super old now) and I still remember my sister getting the scissors. Yikes! So, I totally get the emotional feelings of the scene. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts here with me. I appreciate it. :)
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

I enjoyed the descriptions as well, but the trip to the Guinness Storehouse was a favorite. I can't think of Guinness without thinking about my art teacher that was more than willing to try new things. Even if this new thing was a joke, the students didn't know and carried out the request anyway*.

Least favorite moment was how Hillary found her friend. It was strange how no one thought anything was off when she could be contacted by Skype, but not by landline; even more so when it wasn't brought to her attention during those video calls. I didn't like the Claire part either, but then I remembered that she was actually in the room with Sarah.

Couldn't help to think that maybe the killer moved her out of the room after dealing with Sarah; especially since she was known to be a light sleeper.

*The Guinness Incident: My art teacher told of a time when he jokingly told a past group of students that he would give them extra credit if they brought him a bottle of Guinness. To his surprise, several students showed up with cases of Guinness for him. The teacher got his Guinness and the students got extra credit.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Wamakima wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 00:50
AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 08:51 I liked the setting of the story in Ireland and all the inclusion of myths and history. My least favorite was the murder mystery I guess it just wasn't something that I enjoyed in this book as much I thought I would.
I haven't read it but I think I would enjoy it. It seems to add more flavor to the narrative.
I hope you enjoy it. There is certainly an interesting narrative. Happy reading!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

TopaAzul062 wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 20:38 I enjoyed the descriptions as well, but the trip to the Guinness Storehouse was a favorite. I can't think of Guinness without thinking about my art teacher that was more than willing to try new things. Even if this new thing was a joke, the students didn't know and carried out the request anyway*.

Least favorite moment was how Hillary found her friend. It was strange how no one thought anything was off when she could be contacted by Skype, but not by landline; even more so when it wasn't brought to her attention during those video calls. I didn't like the Claire part either, but then I remembered that she was actually in the room with Sarah.

Couldn't help to think that maybe the killer moved her out of the room after dealing with Sarah; especially since she was known to be a light sleeper.

*The Guinness Incident: My art teacher told of a time when he jokingly told a past group of students that he would give them extra credit if they brought him a bottle of Guinness. To his surprise, several students showed up with cases of Guinness for him. The teacher got his Guinness and the students got extra credit.
That art teacher sounds like he made out like a bandit! Wow! So funny! I didn't like the part where Hilary found her friend dead either. It was not shocking to me, but more like..why? I didn't know why it had to happen vs. be an ominous threat...I didn't understand, but I continued on anyway. I just think this author's strength really is in her descriptions vs. some of the other parts of the book. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me! :)

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”