What Was Your Favorite Moment or Feature of this Novel? What Was the Worst?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
camwilliams
Currently Reading: Triple Zero
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camwilliams.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: What Was Your Favorite Moment or Feature of this Novel? What Was the Worst?

Post by camwilliams »

My favorite part of the book was getting to watch Hillary's development as a mother. She goes from worrying about her own trustworthiness and dark past with her own mother to finally accepting her role and her ability to care for and protect Clair. My least favorite part was when Seamus kidnapped Claire. It was unexpected and I especially didn't like the scene when he was holding her out of a window suspended by her hair. It was just seemed so overly dark compared to the rest of the book.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

camwilliams wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 12:18 My favorite part of the book was getting to watch Hillary's development as a mother. She goes from worrying about her own trustworthiness and dark past with her own mother to finally accepting her role and her ability to care for and protect Clair. My least favorite part was when Seamus kidnapped Claire. It was unexpected and I especially didn't like the scene when he was holding her out of a window suspended by her hair. It was just seemed so overly dark compared to the rest of the book.
I think that is why I didn’t like the scene where Claire was left alone. There was dangerous stuff going on, and it made me uncomfortable, so I guess that was a foreshadowing of the kidnapping. I didn’t care for any of that. I think Hillary’s insecurities as a mom were diminishing, and she seemed to want to include Claire in all the family history. I found that to be a nice way to create a mother and daughter bond which Hillary was lacking. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! :)
Everything happens for a reason...
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

My favorite aspect of this book was the way descriptions of Irish history, folklore, and places were woven throughout the story. One of my cousins visited "the old country" recently and he can't stop talking about it.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

Helene_2008 wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 21:30 I enjoyed reading about the different bed and breakfast places they stayed at. I thought the haunted hotel was kinda cool, although unfortunate that Sarah died there. I least liked some of the odd behavior of Seamus. It was strange how he almost seemed to be hitting on Hillary at one point and also his behavior to try to get them to go home was a little extreme to me.
I liked the different places they stayed at too! It made me want to go on vacation.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Juliet+1 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 12:35 My favorite aspect of this book was the way descriptions of Irish history, folklore, and places were woven throughout the story. One of my cousins visited "the old country" recently and he can't stop talking about it.
It’s on my bucket list of places to go, much inspired by reading the descriptions of it in this book. For now as the world has limited its movement, I’m okay waiting a bit. But, someday....thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Kaylee123 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 13:08
Helene_2008 wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 21:30 I enjoyed reading about the different bed and breakfast places they stayed at. I thought the haunted hotel was kinda cool, although unfortunate that Sarah died there. I least liked some of the odd behavior of Seamus. It was strange how he almost seemed to be hitting on Hillary at one point and also his behavior to try to get them to go home was a little extreme to me.
I liked the different places they stayed at too! It made me want to go on vacation.
I love vacations too! But right now with all that is going on...it may be a wait for awhile. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

My favorite part of the story was the history that was woven throughout the book without the book becoming a history book as well as the storyline of the relationship of Claire and Hillary. My least favorite moment was the end where Seamus has Claire in the tower. She truly loved Rapunzel and how sad it would have been if he played on that to lead her to her death.
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 08:51 I liked the setting of the story in Ireland and all the inclusion of myths and history. My least favorite was the murder mystery I guess it just wasn't something that I enjoyed in this book as much I though I would.
I haven't read it but I think I would enjoy it. It seems to add more flavor to the narrative.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I found it quite exciting when Hillary was investigating Bridget's computer and learning the truth she'd uncovered. As for the negatives, the plot really took its sweet time getting started, and there were lots of scenes and even entire chapters that could've been left out, in my opinion. I don't mind the pace so much if we take the story as a drama, but as a mystery, I expected something else.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I liked best the historical descriptions of the monuments, religious artifacts, and various tragedies such as the great famine that has befallen the country.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

I truly loved the relationship Hilliary built & shared with her daughter. I also loved the fusion of the myths & history of Ireland to the story. It opened my eyes to a lot of things.
En+kay
Currently Reading: The Hit
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by En+kay »

I love the beautiful scenic description of the Ireland country settings, the mom- daughter relationship between Hillary and claire, the put offs is the unwarranted murders
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

The history lessons in this book were everything! The author did a great deal of justice in relying such vital pieces of information about Ireland.
The murder mystery was my least liked.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Carolreads30 wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 16:13 My favorite part of the story was the history that was woven throughout the book without the book becoming a history book as well as the storyline of the relationship of Claire and Hillary. My least favorite moment was the end where Seamus has Claire in the tower. She truly loved Rapunzel and how sad it would have been if he played on that to lead her to her death.

I agree with you on both points. I loved the history of Ireland a lot. The Seamus and Claire incident shocked me. I didn't see that one coming. Thank you for commenting here and sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate it. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Wamakima wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 00:50
AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 08:51 I liked the setting of the story in Ireland and all the inclusion of myths and history. My least favorite was the murder mystery I guess it just wasn't something that I enjoyed in this book as much I though I would.
I haven't read it but I think I would enjoy it. It seems to add more flavor to the narrative.

Give it a try, and then come on back and tell us how you liked it. This genre isn't the usual one that I gravitate toward, but it was fun to be a part of the book of the month! :)

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”