heritage & mothers

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

heritage & mothers

Post by AntonelaMaria »

How do you think that Hillary’s mother leaving her reflected on her own relationship with her daughter? How often do we fight our past experiences trying to be free of repeating same old mistakes?

This book gained depth trough the theme of heritage and family. It made Hillary more real and relatable character to me. Her struggles are realistic. I could understand her issues with being hesitant about more children and feeling inadequate. Those are such human doubts and especially with mothers.
It made her even better mother in my eyes because she tries so much with everything she knows.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Hillary is especially cautious and often doubts herself because of the way her own mother abandoned her as a child. Maternal abandonment must be one of the hardest situations to come to terms with.

Sometimes we are too critical of ourselves and are constantly trying not to repeat the mistakes our parents made.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

Hillary's insecurities as a mother were often highlighted in the novel. Initially I wondered if I was missing something from the first books of the series, but then the various mentions of Hillary's mother offered a bigger picture that made her attitude easier to understand.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Hillary's ability to deal with her abandonment by her mother, made her a better mother in my opinion. It was interesting that she was afraid of repeating her mother's behavior when she had not been influenced by her for most of her childhood. I admired the way she made up her mind not to repeat her own mothers mistakes.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

There was one part that Hillary leaves sleeping Claire to go check on another character. I just felt so apprehensive about her doing that. And, with a murderer running about, I felt it was a irresponsible move. Yet, Hillary was an abandoned child, so she may not have good parenting skills. Yet, I would think this would have made her more protective.
Everything happens for a reason...
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

I often felt inadequate add a mother and I had a happy childhood for the most part. Fear of not being a good mother makes us try harder in my thoughts. Hillary was a great mom, I think her dysfunctional non relationship with her own mother helped her to b that s way.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

We sre a product of our upbringing. Hilary hadn't had a Mom to learn from. Naturally that was going to affect her confidence in herself as a mother. She also had no Mom to call for advice and support her as a mother. I know from experience (my Mom died when my first was very young) that your confidence in yourself and how your doing things is negatively affected by that. Hillary was a good parent to Claire, but it's easy to understand her insecurities.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Hillary's baggage connected to her motherly heritage is something I can relate to, albeit in a different context. My mother died young, and I have faced fears of feeling like I would also die young; that somehow I was cursed and history was doomed to repeat itself. Hillary seems to fear that she is doomed to repeat her mother's actions. In reality, she has a choice as to whether or not she abandons her daughter, but she feels like she doesn't have a choice.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

cpru68 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 12:20 There was one part that Hillary leaves sleeping Claire to go check on another character. I just felt so apprehensive about her doing that. And, with a murderer running about, I felt it was a irresponsible move. Yet, Hillary was an abandoned child, so she may not have good parenting skills. Yet, I would think this would have made her more protective.
I felt very anxious about that part also. I was wondering if Claire would be there or gone when Hillary returned!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I felt Hillary was a good mom to Claire. I do believe her own mother's abandonment played a huge role in her insecurities about herself. She was a good mom, a successful writer, and had a super husband yet she had low self-esteem which I think was a product of her childhood and not having her mom.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I thought Hillary was a great mom to Claire despite her mother leaving her at a young age. Though she did have doubts about herself, it was evident throughout the book that she was a caring mother.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Her abandonment issues did not seem to impact her ability to be an excellent mother. Her nurturing care for her daughter were evident throughout the book. I think she balanced her insecurities with her need to provide what she missed in her own upbringing, The author did a fine job of offsetting the two.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 06:07 Hillary's insecurities as a mother were often highlighted in the novel. Initially I wondered if I was missing something from the first books of the series, but then the various mentions of Hillary's mother offered a bigger picture that made her attitude easier to understand.
I felt that I missed something for not reading first two books. It was definitely a slower start and it took time to connect with Hilary. But her inner struggles very real and made that possible.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Twylla wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 09:14 Hillary's ability to deal with her abandonment by her mother, made her a better mother in my opinion. It was interesting that she was afraid of repeating her mother's behavior when she had not been influenced by her for most of her childhood. I admired the way she made up her mind not to repeat her own mothers mistakes.
It definitely took strength not to fall into familiar patterns of behavior. I admire that too.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

cpru68 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 12:20 There was one part that Hillary leaves sleeping Claire to go check on another character. I just felt so apprehensive about her doing that. And, with a murderer running about, I felt it was a irresponsible move. Yet, Hillary was an abandoned child, so she may not have good parenting skills. Yet, I would think this would have made her more protective.
Good point. I was more thinking overall of the book and her inner struggles but this is great example. I don't think that is the first of last mistake she will ever make.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”