Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Post by Tonika632 »

I am yet to read this book. Reviews seem promising, I am sure I'll love it!
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by jhunt »

I would rate it a 2/4 stars because it really didn't grip me from the beginning. The slow start made it harder to get into the book, personally.
Estrellah254
Currently Reading: Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estrellah254.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Estrellah254 »

I am yet to read this book but the reviews are amazing. This book seems interesting and captivating.
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

I gave this book two stars. I found it to be boring and too heavy on description. The book didn’t build any tension until way past the middle of the book. And even though it was supposed to be crime and international crime, I found the plot a bit boring.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I enjoyed this book but I felt that it got off to a slow start. I really enjoyed it when they got to Ireland. I didn’t so much care for the ghost stories but that’s probably just personal preference. Overall a very interesting story.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

wendilou49 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 04:57 Ii enjoyed reading this book. I loved the intermingling of Irish history and folklore with a good mystery! I loved the relationships in this book, especially Hillary's with her daughter Claire. They were so sweet and honest with each other. The beginning of this book was a little slow. Too much time getting ready to go instead of going and doing. I rated House of Eire 3 it of 4 stars because of the slow take off. I liked to get pulled into a story right away!
Just like you, I find the intermingling of Irish history and folklore with a good mystery interesting. I also prefer to be pulled in right away. A slow take off is synonymous with torture.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

The slow start of the book was very difficult to overlook but as the story wore on, things began to piece together perfectly to make a very great story.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

I would rate it a 3 out of 4 stars.What I loved most was the relationship between Hillary and Clare and what I disliked most was the slow start, it wasn't a good start for me, also there was no suspense.
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

Judging from the replies, it seems like this book will be a perfect read.
I can't wait to add up to my bookshelf already. Though the genre isn't my pick, but i believe this one will change my concept.
Pstodumeje
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pstodumeje.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Pstodumeje »

History books are my favorite genre of books. House of Eire, A Hillary Broome Novel, by June Gillam has to do with a dark family secrete. Hillary has to find a way to pertain with her family and keep the one's she hold dearest safe. I enjoyed how the plot was set. The author did a very good job writing such an interesting novel.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

I haven't read this book yet but it sounds interesting as per the comments. Planning to read it and when I'm done I will rate it.
Books are beautiful.
gracedivine
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by gracedivine »

I like the book. Unlike the character development. I like the plot organization too. What I dislike the straight forward nature of the events. There wasn't any real mystery or twist. But overall, Ms June did a great job.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

This book is filled with lots of suspense and intrigue. I enjoyed getting to learn the history of Irish people. Although it started with a slow pace at the beginning but kudos to Claire for bringing light to the book.
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

I would give this novel 4 out of 4 stars. It is a great example of a cozy mystery novel! Gillam's style is so good about providing details. This painted a beautiful picture of the Irish setting and made it easy to get to know the characters. Another strength of the novel is the way it is easy to understand. The reader is left guessing in regards to the mystery aspect. It isn't confusing, however, as a standalone novel, despite being part of a series.
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

Nujudee wrote: 14 May 2020, 18:14 Judging from the replies, it seems like this book will be a perfect read.
I can't wait to add up to my bookshelf already. Though the genre isn't my pick, but i believe this one will change my concept.
Like Nudjee mentioned, I think this mystery novel is great even for people who aren't big fans of the genre. While certainly present, the mystery aspect isn't overly sensational or overbearing. The novel still displays good relationships between characters and makes a great casual read. Gillam is detailed in her descriptions and definitely worth giving a try!

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”