Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Carennkemdiala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carennkemdiala.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Post by Carennkemdiala »

I love this book and would recommend it because of the Irish history captured in it coupled with the murder mystery. I love the family (mother and daughter) relationship and how they go along pretty well with much stress. In my opinion, I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
Glamour92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Glamour92 »

I loved this book, it has an intriguing and well developed cast. The storyline was good and has suspense and murder mystery. I loved the way the historical facts and folklore of Ireland was described. Overall I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
Njoxs-19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njoxs-19.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by Njoxs-19 »

About to read this book and out of reviews given, I'm surely going to enjoy reading it.
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

I absolutley loved this book, so much so that I rated it 4 out of 4 stars! I've been to Ireland before, so for me it was fun to feel like a tourist again walking alongside Hillary and her family. The thing that caught my attention in this book is that the characters explore both the fantastic and frightening aspects of Irish history and culture. Combining Dermot's and Bridget's clashing views of the land made the ride for Hillary both equally exciting and suspensful. I'm really glad I found this book and I will definitely be recommending it to anyone who will care to listen to me gush about it.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Positive reviews make me want to read this book so desperately. I'll certainly try to fit it in. Thanks.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

If the plot kept to the Irish heritage theme and skipped the murder mystery aspect altogether, it would have been a remarkable novel.

The subplot of the plight of the Broome family history was thought-provoking. It left me to consider if one’s history is unpleasant and wrought with tribulation and affliction, do we have the prerogative to reframe our story into a more palatable version, or are we obligated to memorialize it, so no one forgets?
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I enjoyed this book, even though it started out a little slow. I would give it 3 out of four stars. I liked Hillary and her family.

However, I feel there were still some unanswered questions in the end. Maybe the rest of the series will cover that.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
namuyong
Currently Reading: Primal Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by namuyong »

i am at the beginning reading this book. i give it a 3 out of 4 rating as it is so slow. coming forward to see more. i love dads relationship with daughter.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I love this book. I liked reading about Ireland, as I know very little about it. My favorite genre is mystery thriller/crime books. The only thing that was a little disappointing was the slow beginning, ut boyi am sure glad I stuck with it because I really liked this book and I definitely recommend it.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I liked the book's amazing writing style and characters. But I felt as if it stared off way too slow. But overall, it was a good book. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
eclecticredhead
Favorite Book: Tweak
Currently Reading: The Red Badge of Courage
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticredhead.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour
Reading Device: iphone

Post by eclecticredhead »

I love all things associated with Ireland, so I really enjoyed reading this book. My husband and I weren't able to afford our honeymoon initially and had to put it off. We were able to finally celebrate our fifth anniversary together on the emerald isle, so of course, I found the similarity between our trip and that of the characters rather splendid.
The writing style was offputting due to a lack of indication by the author that internal dialogue was ever taking place. Did anyone else struggle with that while reading? I got past it, but I felt like the book could have improved immensely had there been an emphasis on the change or something of the sort.
HanWhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanwhite.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by HanWhite »

After reading the review for this book I am so intrigued! I love a good mystery/thriller, and it's even more fun that it incorporates some Irish folklore as well. I think I may start with the first book of the series, even though despite being the third book in the series it sounds like it can still stand alone.
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

I give House of Eire 2 out of 4 stars. I have removed one star due to the lack of proofreading and the other because the conversations were far too long-winded, making the book drag. I would have liked there to have been more depth to what could have been an exciting story, and the ending was disappointing.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I adored Claire in this book, she added so much more to every scene she was in. I like the eclectic mix of genres, but at the end of the day, it is a mystery with a very human element which I enjoyed.
it is what it is ....
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I have been thinking about reading this one for quite a long time. Regarding all the good reviews here I will probably do soon. Thank you!

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”