Review by ChristeenaP -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ChristeenaP
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christeenap.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by ChristeenaP -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChristeenaP » 01 Mar 2019, 18:10

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]

[rbc=4:]id323955-125[/rbc:]Adrift by Charlie Sheldon begins aboard the Seattle Express. The alarms are going off and the ship is on fire. The captain, Steve, ultimately makes the decision to abandon the ship. The crew must board the two lifeboats to escape.

This book has multiple viewpoints that switch between the Seattle Express crew, those who head out to bring the Seattle Express back, and those who embark on a search for the missing crew members. Throughout the story, the reader gains an understanding of how one ship’s misfortune affected many people.

The part I liked most was when Myra, Sarah, and Tom followed the tribe’s tradition and went to a lodge to pray. Charlie Sheldon did a great job showing the reader how the tribe’s people connected spiritually. I also enjoyed how William told the crew about Sarah’s vision quest. My least favorite part was the boating terminology. “Breaking ice using mallets, they made their way up the port side stairway. In front of the row of containers closest to the bow loomed a tall, braced bulkhead, the breakwater. Beyond was the bow, exposed to the wind and sea, white beneath ice.” The previous sentence is just one example. I had to look up what “port side” and “bow” was. I also had to research what a “bulkhead” and a “breakwater” were. These boating terms were used a lot throughout this book. I struggled with remembering what each one meant. Other than that, there was not a part of the story that I disliked.

I rate Adrift 4 out of 4 stars. This was a catchy story filled with mystery. Charlie Sheldon writes in a way that keeps the reader guessing. There were a lot of parts where I felt like I knew what was coming until something else happened. I also enjoyed how Charlie Sheldon used different viewpoints to break up some of the slower parts throughout the story. One individual may have been in a lifeboat without much activity while the next person was in a more active scene. I feel this book was very well-edited. I only found four errors. One was a math error, and the other three were words that were missing the “s” after an apostrophe. I did not feel those errors were significant enough to reduce the rating to 3 stars.

I would recommend this book to any reader looking for a good adventure. It would best fit individuals who are familiar with boating terminology. However, I urge others to give this book a read as well. Although it was necessary for me to research the terminology, it did not negatively affect my enjoyment of the story as a whole.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | [amazon=B07HFPL1GH:]on Amazon[/amazon:]

Like ChristeenaP's review? Post a comment saying so!

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: A Cossack's House by Marie Washtag

Post by InStoree » 05 Mar 2019, 04:20

Like you, I'm not familiar with nautical terms, but it seems good research to enrich my dictionary in this area too. Thank you for your review!

diana lowery
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: Jello Girls
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery » 05 Mar 2019, 13:32

I enjoyed your review. I like that you were very specific in following the guidelines on what to include.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”