Official Review: Rebuilding Alden by JR Thompson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Re: Official Review: Rebuilding Alden by JR Thompson

Post by kandscreeley »

Jaime Lync wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 10:47 I enjoyed your review from the get-go. Alden sounds like he needs some serious rebuilding.

Just one thing I wanted to ask concerning the following excerpt -
"The story is told from the third person point of view, which is mostly successful; however, there were a couple of occasions when it seemed like the narrator made an aside to the audience. "

I wasn't too sure what you meant here about an aside to the audience - is it that he addresses the audience in such a way that it breaks the "fourth wall"?
Not necessarily... It's not that a narrator is necessarily "speaking" to the audience. But, we'll be talking about the characters and such, when all of a sudden it will say: "Believe it or not, stop signs aren't there to decorate busy intersections." It wasn't horrible; it just interrupted the story somewhat unnecessarily. Hope that clears things up.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Having been in a position where I needed a second chance, I can very much identify with this book. I probably never and may never get it which means it is not easy at all. I liked this review very much though.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Beatus wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 08:22 Having been in a position where I needed a second chance, I can very much identify with this book. I probably never and may never get it which means it is not easy at all. I liked this review very much though.
Thanks. I think just about everyone deserves a second chance; I'm sorry you may not get yours!
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I know a few teens that are similar to Alden; although, none of them have assaulted their grandmother. A fight or two with peers, yes. They might relate to Alden but I'm not sure they'd be into Christian fiction.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CatInTheHat wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 09:38 I know a few teens that are similar to Alden; although, none of them have assaulted their grandmother. A fight or two with peers, yes. They might relate to Alden but I'm not sure they'd be into Christian fiction.
Well, it's not in your face preaching, but it's definitely faith-based. So, it's going to be for a select audience. Thanks for commenting on my review.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I just finished reading a book with a similar issue: life is too easy for the protagonists. That's common for Christian fiction. Maybe the story of Job is at the extreme end, but somewhere in between would be more relatable.

Thanks for the objective critique, Sarah.

P.S. I also like the word "rebuilding." We are all construction in progress. (I'm an accountant, too, so we speak the same jargon.)
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I wondered about the title "Rebuilding Alden" but after reading the review I understand. It's a very apt way of beginning the story of a troubled youth being given the chance to turn his life around. I love that he found a mentor in his probation officer. I don't really read Christian fiction so I'll probably give this one a pass but it sounds like an inspiring story. Great review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miriam Molina wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 17:28 I just finished reading a book with a similar issue: life is too easy for the protagonists. That's common for Christian fiction. Maybe the story of Job is at the extreme end, but somewhere in between would be more relatable.

Thanks for the objective critique, Sarah.

P.S. I also like the word "rebuilding." We are all construction in progress. (I'm an accountant, too, so we speak the same jargon.)
I agree. I think we all need to be rebuilding our lives from the ashes of our mistakes. :) Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kelyn wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 22:09 I wondered about the title "Rebuilding Alden" but after reading the review I understand. It's a very apt way of beginning the story of a troubled youth being given the chance to turn his life around. I love that he found a mentor in his probation officer. I don't really read Christian fiction so I'll probably give this one a pass but it sounds like an inspiring story. Great review!
It's definitely inspiring; it's one that you hope actually happens in real life. Young people deserve a second chance, and often need a mentor to help them along. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I love that the author would allow their characters to have flaws in Christian fiction. I'm not huge on Christian writing but I appreciate this thorough review!
Spencer Mack
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

spencermack wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 11:39 I love that the author would allow their characters to have flaws in Christian fiction. I'm not huge on Christian writing but I appreciate this thorough review!
It was a fun book. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the compliment.
—Neil Gaiman
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Assaulting a grandmother? Alden must be a troubled character. I am not into Christian fiction, though. Thanks for the excellent review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Yolimari wrote: 15 Mar 2019, 12:10 Assaulting a grandmother? Alden must be a troubled character. I am not into Christian fiction, though. Thanks for the excellent review!
Thank you for your comment. Alden definitely has a temper that needs to be addressed. Hope you find the right book for you.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”