Review by Melchi Asuma -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Melchi Asuma
2018 Reading Goal: 1000
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Melchi Asuma -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Melchi Asuma » 01 Mar 2019, 01:37

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On your marks, set, Sail! Adrift, by Charlie Sheldon, takes us adrift the Pacific Ocean, where we find the Seattle Express, a ship captained by Steve Procida, on fire. The crew then have no other alternative but to abandon the ship and get into life boats to try and save their lives.

William, the main character, finds himself on the other lifeboat form the captain’s which, unfortunately, gets lost in Haida Gwaii, his birthplace. With no news from him, Myra, Sarah, Tom, Sergei and Travis set out on a mission to save him. During this mission, they learn a lot about William’s past. On the other hand, Larry and Louise, the owners of a sinking business, risk everything to set out and try on their tugboat, Warhorse, to try and salvage the Seattle Express. They are, however, in competition against the powerful Buckhorn corporation who own the ship in the first place. They have to devise a sneaky plan and execute it to the letter. Will they find the ship in time to claim it? On the other hand, time may be running out for William. Will his rescuers find him in time? Only time, and Charlie Sheldon, will tell.

I found Adrift to be a well-written, fast-paced, thrilling novel. I was gripped from the very first page. Charlie Sheldon opens by the description of the fire and, therefore, immediately throwing us into the deep of the conflict. I loved this exposition a lot. The characters are also introduced immediately and it is done so well, that I almost felt like I had known them my entire life. You would not even imagine that this is a sequel to another book. You can read it easily even without ever reading the first book.

There was a lot going on at every stage in the book. This was another aspect that I enjoyed a lot. At all times, someone was in danger, another person was falling in love, another was falling in hate, and another was learning something new. In essence, Adrift has all the hallmarks of a great maritime novel: danger, guilt, love and adventure.

The only thing that I found a little disconcerting was the technicalities of the sailing business. There were some words that I had to look up in the dictionary. It was, however, not that big of a problem as the story flowed extremely well. It was also very professionally edited, as I only managed to spot one grammatical error. For these reasons, I have to give it the highest rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is a novel that will be enjoyed by lovers of adventure novels and sea-based stories.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Melchi Asuma's review? Post a comment saying so!
MA

Festus
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-festus.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Festus » 08 Apr 2019, 18:49

A very good effort here by Melchi. but could have made the review richer by exploring the thematic contents and other salient issues embedded in the work.

Choine
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: Eldest
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine » 11 Apr 2019, 16:44

Thank you for the review. I agree that there was a lot of information about sailing in this book. I found my lack of understanding to be a bit distracting. It was hard for me to keep up with all of the terminologies. This would be a wonderful book for sea-enthusiasts!

Kansas City Teacher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kansas City Teacher » 07 May 2019, 18:44

This was a good review! I also have to look up "technicalities" of several books, but that's what makes it so appealing - you learn a lot about different things. It also makes me realize how much work / research actually goes in to writing a novel.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”