Review by leanne_brown17 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
leanne_brown17
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanne-brown17.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Review by leanne_brown17 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by leanne_brown17 » 27 Feb 2019, 14:41

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is a story that begins with a crew abandoning a burning ship. Escaping in lifeboats, the crew now faces the task of surviving in the icy and tumultuous waters. As it turns out, they are not the only ones who must face the dangers of nature. A tug crew sets out to bring the ship to shore and faces their own troubles against a December storm. Back on land, we learn of the emotional struggles of those who are affected by the emergency. The challenges do not stop there, as we are thrown into a series of adventures that most of us hope never to have to face in our lives.

Overall, I found this book very engaging. It is written with precise detail and imagery, making it obvious that Sheldon knows something about life at sea. He takes you on different adventures through the eyes of several different characters, and makes you feel like you are experiencing things right along side them. The many points of view make for a comprehensive picture surrounding the main drama. There is also an element of suspense to his writing, and I liked how each chapter focused on a different person because it made me very eager to keep reading.

There were only a few details of the book that I didn’t like. Since I have spent very minimal time on boats in my life, some of the terminology was foreign to me. However, this was only a minor issue that quickly dissipated as I continued through the story. In the beginning, I also found it somewhat difficult to keep all of the characters and the details of their lives straight. I felt a bit overwhelmed with the amount of detail, but as I read on it actually made me feel more connected to the characters.

I loved the ending of this book. Without mentioning details, suffice it to say that I did not expect the book to end where it did. I also did not want to book to end where it did. I was left practically begging for the story to go on. I hadn’t realized how emotionally involved with everyone’s lives I had become, and felt sad once there were no more pages left to read. I hope that Sheldon continues to write because he is a great storyteller!

Despite the fact that I have virtually no experience at sea, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Even if you have never been in a similar situation as the characters, Sheldon masterfully brings out their human nature, which we can all relate to. If you enjoy feeling like you are in survival mode, you will definitely enjoy this book. It is very well written, professionally edited, and I am gladly giving it 4 out of 4 stars.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like leanne_brown17's review? Post a comment saying so!
"If you are not willing to be a fool, you can't become a master." - Jordan B. Peterson

Reader Robin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Reader Robin » 28 Feb 2019, 22:36

I love immersive experiences and am happy that the author seems to really know his way around a boat at sea. I just hope that the surprise ending doesn't mean that the book is a cliffhanger!

Wyattio34
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wyattio34 » 28 Feb 2019, 22:54

This book has a deeper meaning to what we know to be a ship out to sea, or so to speak. Sheldon does an awesome job of holding our attention onto a boat while the world around the entire crew is being defiled, being destroyed. The only negative to this read is the odds are so far stacked against the protagonist, and their adventure, so do they find what they were looking for?

leanne_brown17
Currently Reading:

Post by leanne_brown17 » 02 Mar 2019, 17:19

Reader Robin wrote: ↑
28 Feb 2019, 22:36
I love immersive experiences and am happy that the author seems to really know his way around a boat at sea. I just hope that the surprise ending doesn't mean that the book is a cliffhanger!
He definitely knows how to immerse you in the characters’ world. You will have to check the ending out for yourself! :)
Thanks for the comment.

leanne_brown17
Currently Reading:

Post by leanne_brown17 » 02 Mar 2019, 18:14

Wyattio34 wrote: ↑
28 Feb 2019, 22:54
This book has a deeper meaning to what we know to be a ship out to sea, or so to speak. Sheldon does an awesome job of holding our attention onto a boat while the world around the entire crew is being defiled, being destroyed. The only negative to this read is the odds are so far stacked against the protagonist, and their adventure, so do they find what they were looking for?
I would say they did, yes! Thanks for the comment.
"If you are not willing to be a fool, you can't become a master." - Jordan B. Peterson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”