Review by Kemunto lucy -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Kemunto lucy
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 205
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Kemunto lucy -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Kemunto lucy » 22 Feb 2019, 21:09

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sea accidents usually occur sometimes and how to handle yourself in the situation matters. Adrift is the second book in this series and covers a lot about the sea. Although I haven't read Strong Heart (the first installation) yet, I clearly understood this book therefore, it is wise to say that it is a stand-alone.

A container ship called the Seattle Express catches fire in a storm in December. This happens at the Gulf of Alaska. There are people on board and they need to get to safety. Their only way out is to abandon the ship. They split into two lifeboats and each group runs for survival. One lifeboat which has William (who i later learnt that he is from the first book) goes missing and it raises concern. This calls for another plan and further adventure. Myra and her friends set on a journey to find William while Larry and Louise set on a mission to salvage what is left of the Seattle Express. Will they survive the dangerous sea and fulfill their goals? This is where the fun begins.

Adrift is narrated from multiple points of view. The characters are well portrayed and organized. I loved how Captain Steve runs the ship and when tragedy strikes, he alerts all the crew members and they run to safety. The book talks about a lot of relatable issues one being a falling family business. Larry and Louise have to save the remnants of the Seattle Express in order to save their family business which is threatened.

There is a theme of friendship and teamwork which give us a lot of lessons. Myra is accompanied by her friends who include Sara and Tom when she embarks on a journey to save William. They face a lot in this journey and it takes courage, tough decisions, unity and optimism to complete their mission.

This book is well researched with all the maritime vocabulary and activities in place and I learnt a few things which I could grasp. The events are detailed and vividly described which help you experience the moment. The book has an amazing plot full of action and suspense.

The writing is flawless and twist of events create a banger ending. The author does a remarkable job in keeping the reader focused and enthralled, I couldn't put the book down.

There is nothing I didn't like about this book. I therefore give it a 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who wants new adventure.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kemunto lucy's review? Post a comment saying so!

shaz1994
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 23
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 19
Favorite Book: In Your Dreams
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by shaz1994 » 09 Apr 2019, 16:13

Wow you have given a great summary of the events in the book. I was scared of the sea terminology and the size of the book but after reading this review I look forward to getting the whole book.

Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nerea » 09 Apr 2019, 23:57

Solid review. I agree the book is well researched and the themes are quite appealing.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

IamShing
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing » 10 Apr 2019, 00:00

You have clearly read the book with enjoyment. thanks
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

Choine
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: Eldest
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine » 10 Apr 2019, 19:32

Thank you for the review. This was one of the few books I have read that used the sea as its main setting. The author includes so much detail that the reader feels like he/she is next to each character as each scene takes place.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”