Official Review: A Promise to Azfal by Peter Teixeira

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
ayoomisope
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 84
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: A Promise to Azfal by Peter Teixeira

Official Review: A Promise to Azfal by Peter Teixeira

Post by ayoomisope » 07 Feb 2019, 01:38

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Promise to Azfal" by Peter Teixeira.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Promise to Azfal by Peter Teixeira is a fictional piece centered on the life of Jassim, an intelligent man who is trying to fulfill the promise he made to his paternal grandfather, Azfal, while on his dying bed.

The book contains twenty-seven chapters, and it begins by exploring Azfal’s family living in Baghdad. Azfal has two sons: Ibrahim and Saady. Ibrahim is married to Nadje, and they give birth to a son named Jassim. Ibrahim and Saady argue frequently because of their differences in the way Saddam oppressively rules the country, Iraq. Ibrahim eventually moves out after one of their fights.

During the extensive bombings of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Azfal tragically loses both sons. He develops a heart condition after some time, and while on his deathbed, he makes Jassim promise to convert to Catholicism to ultimately cause a jihad when he attains a prominent position. Jassim, however, has personal dreams: he dearly hopes to play soccer professionally and stay with the love of his life, Sabatina. Will Jassim carry out his grandfather's wish or chase after his own dreams?

I appreciate the use of scriptures from both the Bible and the Quran in the novel. Verses from both books are carefully inserted and weaved into the story line. Furthermore, I enjoyed the elegance in the writing and description of some of the plot points—the plot points are remarkably similar to real-life historical events. I equally enjoyed the general theme of peace throughout the book, especially of both religions. In addition, the book provides some historical details and insights related to both Christianity and Islam. However, there are several tragical elements in the book. (Personally, I prefer "happy" fictions.) For instance, I did not appreciate the idea of a young child being burdened by his dying grandfather’s wish. It seemed unfair for him to abandon his dreams of playing soccer professionally and having a family to focus on fulfilling his promise, even though he wanted to be a good grandson and uphold the family name.

Notwithstanding, I award A Promise to Azfal a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is professionally edited, and it does not contain any noticeable grammatical, syntactic, or punctuation error. I would recommend this book to anyone who naturally loves fictions with historical and family elements; however, anyone who does not appreciate novels with religious aspects or connotations may skip this one.

A Promise to Azfal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ayoomisope's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 10 Feb 2019, 13:15

It would be interesting to read a fictional piece centered on this historical time period from the point of view of the main characters in this book.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Feb 2019, 15:04

I just don't think this is one I would enjoy. The characters and the plot aren't speaking to me. So inspite of the glowing review, I'll pass. Glad you enjoyed it.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 10 Feb 2019, 18:37

It seems hard to find a book that tackles both religions harmoniously so I am truly enticed by this book. I wonder what Jassim chose to fulfill. Thanks for the review!

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 10 Feb 2019, 18:50

I like books with religious, historical, and cultural themes, so perhaps I will enjoy this. The issues here seem particularly relevant to issues people are grappling with in the social and religious spheres right now. Thanks for the review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 10 Feb 2019, 20:05

The idea of infiltrating the Catholic Church to eventually provoke a jihad is a unique story line. It would be interesting to see how the author developed that theme. Thanks for your interesting review.

HRichards
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Forensic Foraging by William C. Crawford and Jim Provencher

Post by HRichards » 17 Feb 2019, 21:21

I like happy fiction too, so I might stay away from this one.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”