Review by nanny obrien -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
nanny obrien
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanny-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Review by nanny obrien -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by nanny obrien » 03 Feb 2019, 07:49

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

(Adrift by Charlie Sheldon Review)

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon brings readers back to his storytelling in a mythic history in this exciting sequel to Strong Heart. Adrift follows a container ship called the Seattle Express which catches fire in the Gulf of Alaska which sets many scenarios in place for several different characters. Twenty members of the crew board lifeboats and venture unto the unknown sea in front of them.

Warhorse and several other tugs are sent by the owner of the Seattle Express to the burnt ship to salvage the Seattle Express. The person who brings the Seattle Express back home has a claim waiting for them. Warhorse, who is owned by the two characters Larry and Louise, are desperate for this claim because it could save their failing business.

On board this deceased ship is William (which readers from Strong Heart will recognize) may have to counter an unwanted homecoming to his home Haida Gwaii, a remote island of British Colombia. Williams daughter Myra along with her friends Sergei, Tom and Sarah form a plan to rescue her father who has gone adrift in the unknown ocean.

The story is told in both third person and first person from both Captain Steve Procida and Myra. Through these characters, Sheldon uses a large variety of adjectives which describes the setting and situation perfectly to the audience so they can visually see what’s going on in the story. Sheldon uses rich language to make the reader grasp the concept at hand.

The author explores several different themes such as survival, which in this case is survival in the large ocean and wilderness. Sheldon also explores other themes such as financial decline (from characters such as Louise and Larry) as well as the theme of love. Suspense is used throughout the novel in a brilliant way which creates the audience seeking further enjoyment from the novel and wanting to know what will happen next. This also creates a bond with characters as well because it makes a reader concern for the character and wants to know what will happen to the characters well being.

Throughout the novel I didn’t notice any mistakes from what I could tell so I believe the editing for this novel is done professionally and impeccably well. This book was a suspenseful read and had me on the edge of the seat and would commend this a 4 out of 4 stars. If you enjoy a suspenseful adventure with several characters who you’ll learn to love, I would highly recommend this novel.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nanny obrien's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”