The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Post by Scott »

Have any of you read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak? I have not, but I have been told that it is very good.

The book is apparently written from the perspective of death. Interesting, huh? I think I may read it.

If you have read it, what did you think of it? (Please, no spoilers.)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
blushingmilk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blushingmilk »

Scott Hughes wrote:Have any of you read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak? I have not, but I have been told that it is very good.

The book is apparently written from the perspective of death. Interesting, huh? I think I may read it.

If you have read it, what did you think of it? (Please, no spoilers.)
Hi Scott - I read it semi-recently...I found it interesting that it is considered a children's book considering the subject matter, but also the language. I mean its not that the language is crazy-difficult - it just seems geared towards an adult perspective.
It IS from the perspective of Death but also really of the main character Liesl, because Death likes to talk about her, and I found it really interesting cos I love that sort of stuff about angels and devils and stuff, and also its got a sense of 'magic realism' about it - Death's quite poetic really when he (she?) talks about his (her?) 'job'. Its a really beautiful story and some gorgeous imagery flits in and out of a quite sweet German tale set in very dark times. I wont spoil it but I think that the book a character makes in 'The Book Thief' deserves a special mention because it is starkly beautiful and strange and quite frankly moved me to tears. I dont often cry in books. Amazing ending too.

:) In short, I really recommend it as its one of my favourites.
"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world."
*~ C. S. Lewis
deasy

Post by deasy »

I was in Book Club in school and it was one of the books recommended to read by the librarian. We didn't get a chance to read it, but one club member who did really liked it.

I'll put that on my 'To Read' list. :)
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

I thought it was a great read..I just love it! I found Liesel Meminger character to be very interesting. I love the impact that literature..(reading) has on her, and just the overall emphasis it has throughout the book. This is an amazing tale...very touching. Beautifully written.

I hope you enjoy it :)
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

I haven't read it either, but I've heard good things.

I think I'll also add it to my ever-growing 'to read' list.
Abagayle

Post by Abagayle »

the book did a beautiful job of tying in the more ignored aspects of that time in history. it doesn't take you through a typical jewish route, instead we get to see the hitler youth, jesse owens and almost an outside view of the destruction of the holocaust.
i found "death" very witty and entertaining.
i know of a lot of adult folk who loved it,
very accurate and well writ for sure.
=]
Stunt Penguin

Post by Stunt Penguin »

KaeMartyndale wrote:I haven't read it either, but I've heard good things.

I think I'll also add it to my ever-growing 'to read' list.

Me too!!!
KateM

Post by KateM »

I read this book last month and really enjoyed it... The story was fabulous and never faulted my interest... I'd highly recommend it.
Biblioklept

Post by Biblioklept »

This has been on my wish list at a swapping site for a looong time. I am almost excited enough to actually purchase it :O
Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
P. J. O'Rourke
Wordsgood

Post by Wordsgood »

Well gee, thanks folks now I have another one on my "must read" list. I had a large list before joining, and do read quickly, but come on...stop making these reviews so tempting! Kidding of of course. :lol:
wellywadey

Post by wellywadey »

This book is absolutely amazing!! his other novels are for young readers...and you can tell this by his style of writing....BUT his style is so different! this book made me laugh out loud and cry like i have never cried reading a booK!!!!!!!!!! and the drawings in the book!!!! it is beautiful!! im finding it hard to like other books after reading this!! and i read this over 6 months ago!
every present i give now is this book!! that is how much i loved it!!!!
AmandaB

Post by AmandaB »

I enjoyed this book immensely, as it put a different perspective on a very bleak period in history. I also was a little surprised that this book is recommended for pre-teens, as I am an elementary school teacher and am not sure that it is suitable for those students below grade 8 or 9. However, that is my personal opinion. All in all, the book was an enjoyable read.
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

I have only just caught up with this book but found it just superb. He has a beautiful style of writing which fires up your own imagination. You can actually see the clouds turning their backs because they are upset by what they can see. You get so involved that approaching death would hold no fears if you were going to be received by the version of Death who it the narrator of this book. Take time to wallow in this book.
Bailey.booklover

Post by Bailey.booklover »

This book is awesome! My book club read it and we had a great discussion, emotional. It is so powerful - with an interesting narrator. The use of colors by the 'death' narrator is amazing. I highly recommend this book (probably not for a December book club :)).
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

The Book Thief seems very interesting to me. . .

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”