Official Review: Gracie’s Gone by Carol Soloway

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Gracie’s Gone by Carol Soloway

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gracie’s Gone" by Carol Soloway.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Carol Soloway weaves together a dramatic tale of romance, estranged family dynamics, and abduction in her book entitled Gracie’s Gone. Family secrets come to light after six-year-old Gracie is kidnapped at the mall. The story is told from the perspective of Gracie’s stepmother, Alexandra Rose. Determined to harmonize her and her husband’s families, Alexandra tries to juggle motherhood, her career, and her own issues related to her last marriage. Meanwhile, a sinister mystery cloaks the truth surrounding the death of her husband’s late wife. Gracie’s kidnapping unravels the fabric of familial stability that Alexandra has painstakingly tried to create. Lies, betrayal, and unpleasant family surprises arise as the motives behind Gracie’s kidnapping becomes clear.

What I liked most about this book was the unpredictability of the story. From the beginning, it contained subtle yet sinister undertones. Many insignificant details concealed deeper meanings. These clues kept me interested because I was constantly trying to figure out how they were all connected. Furthermore, my suspicions as to who kidnapped Gracie were always being challenged. In the end, I was as surprised as Alexandra when the truth was revealed. The family secrets surrounding Gracie’s mother were also astounding. I was impressed that the author wrote such a captivating story.

Another thing which I liked was that the characters each had distinct features. For instance, Gracie was portrayed as an opinionated child whose favorite toy was a stuffed chicken. Alexandra’s friend, Meredith, really stood out in the book because she loved to flaunt her beauty and possessions. Expressive traits such as these greatly enhanced the individuality of the characters and made them more realistic.

What I enjoyed the least was the avalanche of information that was unleashed at the end of the story. The majority of the book was about Gracie’s family, but another character in the book had a side-story that seemed to overwhelm the main story right at the very end. I felt as if the author rushed the real ending of the book and added another tragic event which was completely unnecessary.

I also disliked the numerous associations and agencies that were included in the book. The book mentioned NCMEC, ERASE Child Trafficking Organization, Child Rescue, The Child Abduction Response Team, The FBI, SEALS, and Bikers Against Child Abuse. I got the feeling that they were probably only included in the book to increase publicity. In my opinion, including only a couple of these would have been more useful to the story’s development.

In conclusion, the story was riveting, unpredictable, and the characters were portrayed realistically. However, I did not like the rushed ending and the inclusion of so many agencies and associations. For these reasons, I am rating Gracie’s Gone 3 out of 4 stars. I think the book was edited professionally. There were only a couple of minor errors in the book. These did not ruin my reading experience. One was an unnecessary preposition and the other was a minor issue regarding the inconsistency of the font size in a paragraph. Adult readers who like drama and suspense will enjoy this story. However, I would not recommend this book to people who don’t like reading about intense themes like death, violence, child trafficking, and abduction.

Gracie’s Gone
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

The book seems to contain an interesting plot. I also like the fact that it's unpredictable with realistic characters. Nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that the ending is so rushed, as I love a book where you aren't quite sure about who the perpetrator is until the very end! It sounds wonderful, right up until the last part. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that this book talks about some very intense themes. They are some of the highest on the stress inventory. I am a bit hesitant about reading this book due to the strong themes, but your high praise for the ending intrigues me! Thanks for your riveting review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Your recap of the plot has me on the edge of my seat! I find a lot of books seem to have rushed endings. Although this always leaves me feeling a bit cheated, I remain quite interested in reading this book. Thanks for the information!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

This looks good. Although I disagree with what you said about the organizations mentioned in this book, I think its good to mention them so that readers with the same situation may know where to get help, the more the better.
Cleis
Favorite Book: Garments Against Women
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indepaintence.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Cleis »

This book sounds really interesting! Though, maybe hard to stomach. I wonder why there were so many organizations involved in the book? Maybe simply to raise awareness about them - though I can see it getting a little clunky because of that. Thank you for your review! :techie-studyingbrown:
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

indepaintence wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 20:24 This book sounds really interesting! Though, maybe hard to stomach. I wonder why there were so many organizations involved in the book? Maybe simply to raise awareness about them - though I can see it getting a little clunky because of that. Thank you for your review! :techie-studyingbrown:
I think its probably for awareness. Thanks for commenting :D
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Jessacardinal wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 14:35 Your recap of the plot has me on the edge of my seat! I find a lot of books seem to have rushed endings. Although this always leaves me feeling a bit cheated, I remain quite interested in reading this book. Thanks for the information!
I hope you get a chance to read it! You will surely enjoy the twists and turns. Thank you so much for sharing a thought on my review :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”