Official Review: Letters by Paul Tick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Letters by Paul Tick

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Letters" by Paul Tick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Letters by Paul Tick, a couple supposedly commits suicide. Alan and Elizabeth shared a relationship that many envied. Each of them seemed to have found the one person that they could not live without. They had raised children, become a part of the community where they had lived and had many friends. Why then did they kill themselves? Paul Tick tells an unsure story in an interesting way. He explores the relationships shared by Alan and Elizabeth with their family members and friends and each link reveals many relatable truths.

One of the aspects that I appreciated about the book was the way the sub-plots are organized. Each chapter focuses on one specific character and explores the person’s relationship with the main characters. The suicide letters incorporated in each section provide an in-depth look into each relationship since they are written in the first person. This way of writing ensured clarity as they are many characters in the book. It also provided a more detailed description of each relationship as both the hard and lovely moments are included.

I also liked that the characters had flaws not only strengths. Alan and Elizabeth’s marriage is not perfect. At some point, they have to deal with some trying marital issues. They also have strained relationships with their children at different points in time. This makes the story authentic. Other supportive characters are developed in the same way, each having gone through their own share of hard times and good times.

Another great aspect of the book was its development. The pace is consistent and the story unfolds gradually. The plot does not feel rushed as each scene and character is given their space in the storyline. There are also many surprises along the way which kept me alert all through.

The themes that are explored in Letters consist of family relationships and their reaction to adversity. I found the storyline to be interesting and the themes were relatable. The story sheds light on why different people in family set-ups act the way they do. This provides important learning points within the plot. However, I would have liked to read more about the settings of the scenes in the book.

I rate Letters by Paul Tick 4 out of 4 stars. It is eye-opening and expertly written. I only identified a few grammatical errors. For readers who prefer books that explore family dynamics, this book is written for them. Readers who prefer fast-paced plots with fewer characters may not enjoy the book.

Letters
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Thank you for the warning regarding the slow plot and numerous characters.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

With flaws mixed with strenghts, Alan and Elizabeth's relationship sounds real. The plot is indeed appealing. Nice review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the author's story line that offers insights into people's motivations for certain behaviors. This sounds like a good book to help understand other people. This is really intriguing. Great review! Thanks.
cap5
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by cap5 »

I realy appreciiate your nice review about the contents of the books it shows exactly how addicted you are in the art of literature and how serious you are from chapter one to the end .Hope every person who gonna take this book will have a fantastic pleasures in mind and nice moments when reading letters by Paul Tick
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

Now I wonder about that many relatable truths. That was a nice review, thanks!
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinsemoyin-adeola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Akinsemoyin Adeola »

The title of this book got me curious and I am glad you did justice to the review of the book. Great job!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”