Official Review: Snow Sometimes Falls by Brian Ming

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Snow Sometimes Falls by Brian Ming

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Snow Sometimes Falls" by Brian Ming.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Snow Sometimes Falls by Brian Ming is a novel about a Baptist pastor and his family. Together, they face difficult times in their lives with strength and faith. The question is, will Dave’s faith be strong enough to get him through the secrets that are trying to bubble back to the surface?

When Dave is a little boy, he has a frightening experience in a backyard tree swing. Thunder cracks as lightning hits the tree above him, throwing Dave into the snow. Lying on the ground, he hears a message from God that sticks in his memory for years. Now, as an adult, he is still looking for the meaning of the words.

His family moves from Texas to Montana, where Dave takes a job as new pastor of a church. The church is run down and some of the people are critical, causing Dave to wonder whether or not they made the right decision to relocate. This church also puts a lot of emphasis on the Christmas production, making Dave wonder what the big deal is. He wants to make a difference in this church and the community, and he asks God to work a miracle through him, dusty buildings and Christmas pageantry aside.

The book describes Dave’s journey as a man maturing as an adult. Readers follow his relationship with his older parents, with church members, and with his wife and children. We see the family reach out to others, including a young couple who can use some friends. One of the themes in the story is that people don’t have to stop growing after becoming adults.

During the first year of the family’s tenure at the church, we also see how the oldest son, Josh, connects with new friends. One of these adolescent friends is Buddy, a young man with autism who has a gift for technology. I enjoyed seeing him used in the plot. Autism is becoming more and more common, and I like that this author included an autistic character in the book.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The plot is solid with no extraneous subplots. Everything comes together, including both common and mysterious mentions in the plot. The characters are well-drawn, the dialogue is believable, and the narrative is smooth. It is much better than just a 3-star book because I can find no glaring issues with it. I listened to this book on Audible, and it sounded well-edited. I heard one mistake where some characters’ names were swapped, but that is certainly not enough to take away a star.

Snow Sometimes Falls would be a good read for Christians or for anyone interested in reading an uplifting story of a family who survives heartbreaks and trials. People preferring to read religious-free novels will want to stay away from this one, as the characters’ beliefs are more than undercurrents in the story.

Snow Sometimes Falls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

His family moves from Texas to Montana, where Dave takes a job as new pastor of a church. The church is run down and some of the people are critical, causing Dave to wonder whether or not they made the right decision to relocate. This church also puts a lot of emphasis on the Christmas production, making Dave wonder what the big deal is. He wants to make a difference in this church and the community, and he asks God to work a miracle through him, dusty buildings and Christmas pageantry aside.

The book describes Dave’s journey as a man maturing as an adult. Readers follow his relationship with his older parents, with church members, and with his wife and children. We see the family reach out to others, including a young couple who can use some friends. One of the themes in the story is that people don’t have to stop growing after becoming adults.
This sounds like my kind of read. Thanks for the excellent review and recommendation!
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

Learning and growing is definitely not only for children, one must continue to evolve in knowledge and experiences throughout ones life. This is a book i will love. A pastor might have the mind to bless the lives of the people around him but they have to avail him the opportunity to do it. Thanks for the amazing review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds almost like Jan Karon's series. I enjoy reading realistic Christan fiction. I always hope I can walk away having learned something. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I like that this book has a moral of the story behind it. That you can still grow and learn as an adult is something many people overlook. I also like that this is faith themed, I am sure I will enjoy it immensely. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Cecilia_L wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 12:06

This sounds like my kind of read. Thanks for the excellent review and recommendation!
I was very excited to find a good, clean read! I think you'll like it. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Itskai88 wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 12:06 Learning and growing is definitely not only for children, one must continue to evolve in knowledge and experiences throughout ones life. This is a book i will love. A pastor might have the mind to bless the lives of the people around him but they have to avail him the opportunity to do it. Thanks for the amazing review.
Yes, I think you will like this book! I wish there were more out there like this. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 18:34 This sounds almost like Jan Karon's series. I enjoy reading realistic Christan fiction. I always hope I can walk away having learned something. Thanks.
Yes! I haven't read any of Karon's books, but I have coworkers who love her. Maybe I will check her out. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Faithmwangi wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 03:01 I like that this book has a moral of the story behind it. That you can still grow and learn as an adult is something many people overlook. I also like that this is faith themed, I am sure I will enjoy it immensely. Thanks for the review.

Yes, I was very excited to find a good, clean read with a good message! I think you'll like it. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a heartwarming religious fiction novel that follows Christian faith and how to hold on to it despite hardships. The book as a free sample on Amazon Kindle. This is a detailed and informative OnlineBookClub review.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A Christian Fiction about a Baptist pastor and his family sounds inspiring, but it isn't my genre. A solid plot, uplifting story, and well-drawn characters make it a good read for fans of the genre. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Sometimes we need an uplifting, "feel-good" read and this seems like the kind of story that keeps you engaged while delivering a nice, inspirational message. It's important to be aware that even as adults we never stop learning.
Thank you for your review!
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Spiritually strong, I like the man. He sounds more of Jesus.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a must read for me. As a believer, I appreciate reading about such people who can show by their deeds that faith works indeed. I hope he was able to overcome. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Hearing a message from God as a small child and spending many years waiting, knowing you'll eventually understand what the point is? That seems to be a theme lately; I like it.
Since the saying is usually about rain falling, it makes me wonder why the word snow is used. I think I'll like this.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”