Official Review: corporate house by Columbus daniel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: corporate house by Columbus daniel

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "corporate house" by Columbus daniel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Corporate House by Columbus Daniel is classified as other fiction. It is the autobiography of Danny from his earliest childhood memory of falling into a well until his retirement.

Danny’s father died in the war. He lived with his mother and stepfather. After participating in a dangerous prank, he was shipped off to his grandparents’ home in South Carolina. They raised him for six years. When Grandma Wheeler became sick, Danny returned to his mother and stepfather’s home. Moving to new cities became a regular part of his childhood as his stepfather continually lost his job and needed to move to find employment. This meant Danny had to attend a different school every time the family relocated. There were times when the family situation became so precarious that Danny had to miss school to stay home and care for his siblings.

As an adult, Danny got work as a splicer for the telephone company. He moved across the country and even to Canada to find work. Danny invented several methods to improve the splicing process. His experience and innovations helped him gain a reputation and status in the company. After many years, he was able to found his own company. Will the “poor hick” from the South be able to run a business? Can he keep his business afloat when his partner takes him to court?

I enjoyed all the family pictures that the author included in the book. I liked the author’s honesty and sincerity in presenting painful and unfavorable situations. He did not shy away from covering up personal temptations, mistakes and weaknesses. He often reflects on the lessons his grandparents taught him when he lived on the farm on the red dirt road. His faith in God also sustained and guided him, and Danny shares his prayer life and several premonitions he experienced.

My interest waned when the author would explain the details of Danny’s splicing jobs. His inventions contributed to his rise in his field of work. Nevertheless, they occasionally became too technical for my level of interest.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There are some misspelled words and missing commas. I also thought it became too specialized in places for readers with little or no knowledge of splicing and telephone connections. The impact of Danny’s childhood experiences and how these influenced his drive to succeed made it an inspiring story. The importance given to family over material possessions was uplifting and motivating.

This book tells the story of Danny, from his impoverished childhood to his incredible accomplishments as an adult. People who dislike books that focus on the life of one character will not enjoy this book. Readers who find inspiration and motivation from reading how others triumphed over difficult situations will find this book to be satisfying and informative. Entrepreneurs would also enjoy reading about Danny’s experiences starting a business, growing it, and dealing with sabotage and lawsuits along the way.

corporate house
View: on Bookshelves

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

My heart breaks for the dealings of Danny's young years. I am curious about the time between Danny bouncing around the States and the ultimate successes of his career.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Jessacardinal wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 14:31 My heart breaks for the dealings of Danny's young years. I am curious about the time between Danny bouncing around the States and the ultimate successes of his career.
This is what impressed me also about this life. It is an interesting and amazing story. I felt inspired! Thanks for commenting.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a generally successful mix of diverse elements. I learned something about splicing from your review alone! I guess writers need some skill to incorporate highly technical details in a reader-friendly way.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

In this era of entrepreneurship were every body wants to own his or her company, I think this book will help many youths, especial those who wants to dabble into the author's field of study. Great review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 04:03 This sounds like a generally successful mix of diverse elements. I learned something about splicing from your review alone! I guess writers need some skill to incorporate highly technical details in a reader-friendly way.
The writer did a good job of explaining his work and even included photos. I just do not have high interest in this area. But - I, too, learned quite a bit about splicing! He took his skills and eventually started his own company. His example is motivating! Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Anthony__ wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 06:20 In this era of entrepreneurship were every body wants to own his or her company, I think this book will help many youths, especial those who wants to dabble into the author's field of study. Great review!
The author's experiences will help people who read this book to be aware of the steps that go into starting a business and possible obstacles along the way. His life was an inspiration for me. Hope it will be for you too! Thanks for commenting.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I have admiration for those who overcome the types of obstacles Danny experienced. My attention would probably wane in the technical portions of the book as you described, too. Thanks for the interesting review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cecilia_L wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 11:41 I have admiration for those who overcome the types of obstacles Danny experienced. My attention would probably wane in the technical portions of the book as you described, too. Thanks for the interesting review.
I admired that he took what interested him and became an expert in his field. Even though his field of work differs from my personal interests, he gives others a good example of how mindset affects productivity. I'm glad I read this book. It was uplifting and inspiring. Thanks for commenting!
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

Starting a business is not an easy task and Danny's experiences dealing with sabotage and lawsuits along the way are important points that readers can learn from. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Itskai88 wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 12:15 Starting a business is not an easy task and Danny's experiences dealing with sabotage and lawsuits along the way are important points that readers can learn from. Thanks for the review.
These are not the first things you think of when you are opening a business. I am glad he included these experiences in the book. I felt these sections were especially enlightening. Thanks for commenting.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Successful business people reveal mostly the glow. The ugly beforehand is less shared. Danny's experiences prepare whoever wishes to venture into the business world. Good job with the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This seems a bit odd. It's an autobiography classified as other fiction? With the pictures, it seems real enough, so what's the fiction part? In any case, I don't think it's something I'd enjoy, enjoy with the technical details. Thanks anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 18:29 This seems a bit odd. It's an autobiography classified as other fiction? With the pictures, it seems real enough, so what's the fiction part? In any case, I don't think it's something I'd enjoy, enjoy with the technical details. Thanks anyway.
I found that odd too. It even has a dedication from his daughter. I did enjoy it and found it inspiring. Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

DogoMulla wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 14:47 Successful business people reveal mostly the glow. The ugly beforehand is less shared. Danny's experiences prepare whoever wishes to venture into the business world. Good job with the review.
That's what made me respect this author. His life was relatable. Some of his problems were caused by his own hand. He shares so much that others can learn from. Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”