Official Review: Shattered Moon by Renata Lanzoni

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Official Review: Shattered Moon by Renata Lanzoni

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shattered Moon" by Renata Lanzoni.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At this dismal time of year, we might dream of a holiday somewhere warm, with moonlit beaches and romance. What if you meet someone so special you move to an exotic location, only to have paradise become hell?

The novel Shattered Moon by Renata Lanzoni tells the true story of a woman whose holiday romance takes her to terrifying places. Maddy Jones, the 42-year-old protagonist, takes a break from a gloomy life in England and finds a new lease of life in Sri Lanka. When she first meets Kiri, he seems attentive and caring. The pair have only known each other for a matter of days, however, when the red flags start to rise. Maddy is blindsided the first time Kiri turns from Jekyll into Hyde. He is irrationally jealous and possessive, accusing Maddy of being interested in his friend Sanka and of lusting after surfers. Even at this early stage, she becomes trained to keep her eyes on the empty parts of the beach.

Why does she put up with this? The following is an example of her thought processes: “I feel sorry for this young man, who seems to have grown so fond of me so quickly. I feel responsible for upsetting him. I feel important, valued by his outburst. If he was so upset, he must care a lot more than I thought possible.” After a Hyde episode, Kiri hunts Maddy down to apologise. Is he really sorry? He has told her how hard his childhood was. Ignoring her gut, Maddy decides that Kiri’s hostility arises from a need to protect himself from being hurt. Can she heal him with her love, ensuring that he stays in Jekyll mode?

Lanzoni does an excellent job of portraying the heroine's emotions and confusion. Maybe because Maddy narrates with the benefit of hindsight, her mistakes seem understandable. Indeed, I found myself deeply immersed in the character and the story. This may have been partly because I have had experiences similar to Maddy’s, but it could also be credited to the immediacy of the writing. The fast-paced action is interspersed with more leisurely passages. Sometimes the book reads like travel writing. The style is plain but descriptive nevertheless. We contemplate the blues and purples of the sky as the tropical night falls quickly, dodge oncoming buses on the chaotic roads, and dance on the beach under a full moon.

I enjoyed both the descriptions and a story that read increasingly like a thriller. I was compelled to see how the relationship developed and how Maddy would cope. There were early hints that there was something Maddy didn't know about Kiri; I was keen to learn what secrets might be revealed.

On a more negative note, this book doesn’t appear to have been professionally edited. I repeatedly came across missing periods and other punctuation errors. I was irritated by misspellings, such as “my flash” instead of “my flesh” at a dramatic point.

This book would appeal to those who appreciate true-life stories. It would be good for a book club because it contains a lot of material for discussion. It could also be validating for survivors of abusive relationships, provided they aren't triggered by it - discretion is advised. There are a few graphic descriptions of sex and violence, so this is suitable for a mature audience.

I recommend this book both for its compelling story and vital message. Perhaps it could even prevent someone from having to learn about abusive relationships the hard way. It is an engrossing read, but because of the lack of editing, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Shattered Moon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ButterscotchCherrie's review? Post a comment saying so!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm flushed, and I'm not exactly sure what to say, but at first, Kiri isn't a name for a male and I don't no why the author found it appropriate to use that name. Secondly, thank you for your input, and I would like to know has he visited Sri Lanka to write a story revolving that island?
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 00:17 I'm flushed, and I'm not exactly sure what to say, but at first, Kiri isn't a name for a male and I don't no why the author found it appropriate to use that name. Secondly, thank you for your input, and I would like to know has he visited Sri Lanka to write a story revolving that island?
I really value your input! I did find the name odd. I don't know if it's short for something? I guess the names have been changed as the author says this is a true story, so my understanding is that all this happened to her. I don't believe she meant to single out the island of Sri Lanka particularly; partner abuse can happen everywhere (I have experienced it from an English man).
Many thanks for commenting.
Mod
Sahani Nimandra

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 02:07
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 00:17 I'm flushed, and I'm not exactly sure what to say, but at first, Kiri isn't a name for a male and I don't no why the author found it appropriate to use that name. Secondly, thank you for your input, and I would like to know has he visited Sri Lanka to write a story revolving that island?
I really value your input! I did find the name odd. I don't know if it's short for something? I guess the names have been changed as the author says this is a true story, so my understanding is that all this happened to her. I don't believe she meant to single out the island of Sri Lanka particularly; partner abuse can happen everywhere (I have experienced it from an English man).
Many thanks for commenting.
The word "Kiri" is the Sinhala term for curd and milk. No, singling out isn't the issue in here, but I was wondering since this is based on true events, which happened to the author, did she mention an area of particular interest? Such as a location within the country? Your welcome :tiphat: and Thank you again!

P.s. sorry about your abuse. For what it's worth, he doesn't deserve you, and you can do way much better. 😉
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

I see what you mean about that not being someone's name! Places that were mentioned were Mirissa and Weligama, also Galle as a bigger place for shopping and visiting the fort.
Thanks for your supportive comment! I think few women would put up with that behaviour if it happened all the time at the beginning of the relationship - but when they are wonderful to start with and you bond with them, it's so confusing when they suddenly switch. The author described this kind of thing very well.
Mod
Sahani Nimandra

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 03:04 I see what you mean about that not being someone's name! Places that were mentioned were Mirissa and Weligama, also Galle as a bigger place for shopping and visiting the fort.
Thanks for your supportive comment! I think few women would put up with that behaviour if it happened all the time at the beginning of the relationship - but when they are wonderful to start with and you bond with them, it's so confusing when they suddenly switch. The author described this kind of thing very well.
Oh Dear Lord! These locations are all related to south. (You have to be careful when you go to breach areas. All sort of people come there specially, I'm So Sorry to say this, cheep third class waste bags. Never go to breach side alone. My parents always say that to me especially in evening) The guy she had this sort of connections with must have been a Beach Boy. I'm not surprised by this behaviour. They are all like that trying to catch a rich fish from the sea since Beach Boys are from poor families. Abusive and then apologetic to show the good face.

I understand. I too was in a crappie relationship for past two years and got it of it last year. Honestly, I'm much happy now. You really can't let people abuse you for your silence and innocence. Life isn't about that. I understand that well :tiphat:
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Oh Dear Lord! These locations are all related to south. (You have to be careful when you go to breach areas. All sort of people come there specially, I'm So Sorry to say this, cheep third class waste bags. Never go to breach side alone. My parents always say that to me especially in evening) The guy she had this sort of connections with must have been a Beach Boy. I'm not surprised by this behaviour. They are all like that trying to catch a rich fish from the sea since Beach Boys are from poor families. Abusive and then apologetic to show the good face.

I understand. I too was in a crappie relationship for past two years and got it of it last year. Honestly, I'm much happy now. You really can't let people abuse you for your silence and innocence. Life isn't about that. I understand that well :tiphat:
[/quote]

The book did have a strong flavour of this kind of Beach Boy culture. "Kiri" was described as coming from a very poor background, although he didn't actually exploit Maddy financially. The things you mention do come across in the book, but the tourists seem pretty clueless. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but thank goodness you're out of that situation now.
Mod
Sahani Nimandra

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 03:30 Oh Dear Lord! These locations are all related to south. (You have to be careful when you go to breach areas. All sort of people come there specially, I'm So Sorry to say this, cheep third class waste bags. Never go to breach side alone. My parents always say that to me especially in evening) The guy she had this sort of connections with must have been a Beach Boy. I'm not surprised by this behaviour. They are all like that trying to catch a rich fish from the sea since Beach Boys are from poor families. Abusive and then apologetic to show the good face.

The book did have a strong flavour of this kind of Beach Boy culture. "Kiri" was described as coming from a very poor background, although he didn't actually exploit Maddy financially. The things you mention do come across in the book, but the tourists seem pretty clueless. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but thank goodness you're out of that situation now.
[/quote]

Of coz it does. I know about my country better than the author. I guessed where she was going according to your review. My dear, he may not extract her financially, but what better way to get a foreign citizenship by having a relationship with one. That's just plain common sense.

Tourists are clueless that's why they need know about these thing. If you are ever visiting any Asian country. Please stay in a good reputed hotel not in a cheep one. Safety is more important. ALSO, Not every asian is bad.

P.s. my ex is from Bangladesh, certainly not a beach boy. My parents would have killed me. :shifty:
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Great review. I guess one just have to be more careful in relationship, do your Maths well with your head before getting too committed. That's my sincere advice.
Will Wilson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Will Wilson »

Nice review . Seems interesting that Maddy chooses to ignore Kiri's actions . Get to learn your partner first . Great read
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Tourists are clueless that's why they need know about these thing. If you are ever visiting any Asian country. Please stay in a good reputed hotel not in a cheep one. Safety is more important. ALSO, Not every asian is bad.

[/quote]

Thanks, it's really good to know this stuff. Local knowledge is priceless. I would never want to have stereotyped views about all Asians!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Anthony__ wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 03:45 Great review. I guess one just have to be more careful in relationship, do your Maths well with your head before getting too committed. That's my sincere advice.
Yes, indeed. It is confusing when someone's SO nice to start with though ... btdt.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mod
Sahani Nimandra

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 04:18 Tourists are clueless that's why they need know about these thing. If you are ever visiting any Asian country. Please stay in a good reputed hotel not in a cheep one. Safety is more important. ALSO, Not every asian is bad.

Thanks, it's really good to know this stuff. Local knowledge is priceless. I would never want to have stereotyped views about all Asians!
[/quote]

:tiphat:
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Will Wilson wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 04:03 Nice review . Seems interesting that Maddy chooses to ignore Kiri's actions . Get to learn your partner first . Great read
Yes, though the author does a good job of conveying how much easier said than done this is when you're in the thick of a situation. Thanks for leaving a comment!
Mod
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Great review! I read and reviewed this one a few weeks ago and I rated it 3/4 as well because of the errors. It liked the unique location she chose for the book. Also glad that the sale of the book is going towards a worthy cause.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”