Official Review: Intersection Operator by J. Jupes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
ZenaLei7
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Take a Walk with Me by Caroline Street

Official Review: Intersection Operator by J. Jupes

Post by ZenaLei7 » 16 Jan 2019, 13:47

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Intersection Operator" by J. Jupes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Intersection Operator by J. Jupes is a short novel filled with suspense and mystery. Written in the third person perspective, the story is set in a dystopian world where intersection operators are in charge of running the traffic lights. The traffic lights were run by computers until terrorists hacked the systems and caused mayhem. When people were hired to control the traffic lights, another group of terrorists beheaded some of the new hires. Security was increased, and the beheadings were stopped, but no one found out who was behind these attacks.

After working at Melkin’s Plastics for 19 years, Pepper wants out. The incessant jeering and criticisms by his coworkers as well as his demotion propel Pepper to apply for what he considers to be his dream job, to become an Intersection Operator. However, he finds out that the job is highly competitive, and the waiting list can take up to 5 years. After 5 years, a position opens up and he eagerly takes it. The initial excitement slowly turns to dread when a persistent knocking sound starts up during the early morning hours as he is working. Day after day, between 2 to 4 in the morning, the knocking sound begins. As he desperately finds a way to deal with it, he starts to question if it has anything to do with the terrorist attacks years before.

At first, the story started off slowly, but then it got more suspenseful near the end. The author did a wonderful job creating a plot that was intricate and complex. The author doesn’t explicitly say what is going on in the story but provided hints that helped me to deduce the gist of the story. However, there were still parts of the book that left me confused because I had to figure out from the Pepper's viewpoint what was happening. The author left enough clues that helped me to figure out what Pepper was going through, but in the end, I was left wanting more details of the ending.

Moreover, what I liked the most about the book were the characters. I found the characters to be dynamic and interesting, especially Pepper. From the very first page of the book, I found myself questioning if Pepper was sane or not. He seemed to be a stickler for rules, and his way of talking to himself in Morse code often distanced him from his coworkers.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I mainly gave it 3 stars instead of 4 due to the grammatical errors that I came across. Besides the grammatical errors, I found the book to be thought-provoking and intriguing. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy dystopian and mystery books.

Intersection Operator
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Anthony__ » 19 Jan 2019, 04:42

From your view description, the book seems intriguing. Pepper must be a determined person to stay that long for Intersection Operator. I wonder, what was going through Pepper's mind, when he had the Knock? Great review...

Sen_Suzumiya
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sen-suzumiya.html
Latest Review: Painting with Words by Ian Prattis

Post by Sen_Suzumiya » 19 Jan 2019, 07:34

I do love mystery books but I'm not sure about this one, the plot seems a little bit confusing to me. Do you think the author could write this books in a way that the plot would be clearer?
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 19 Jan 2019, 14:21

Well, this sounds terrifying! Pepper certainly leads a suspenseful life.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 20 Jan 2019, 14:42

I enjoy books that come up with unique ideas. This story line about the traffic lights operators stimulates the thinking about something we daily take for granted. Thanks for a great review.

Itskai88
2019 Reading Goal: 61
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 88
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Itskai88 » 21 Jan 2019, 12:40

"Pepper was sane or not. He seemed to be a stickler for rules, and his way of talking to himself in Morse code often distanced him from his coworkers". this part of your review made me laugh, it also made me want to read the book for myself, Pepper's character is a fascinating one. Thank you so much for this amazing review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 21 Jan 2019, 17:57

I saw this one, and it made me very curious. Dystopian books are my forte. Love them. It just seems a bit odd to me. I can't quite get a handle on it. I guess I'll just have to try it. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Faithmwangi
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Faithmwangi » 22 Jan 2019, 07:33

I have to admit this is not my kind of book. It looks so mysterious and exciting at the same time which is a good thing but the ever suspenseful element is a turn off. I will not be giving the read a try but thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”