Official Review: Apocalypse TV by Thomas Allbaugh

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Apocalypse TV by Thomas Allbaugh

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Apocalypse TV" by Thomas Allbaugh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Would you ever agree to participate in a reality television show? What if the program was promoted as being centered around faith, but there were glaring discrepancies? Apocalypse TV by author Thomas Allbaugh follows college professor Walter Terry's involvement in a reality show about religion that may have a hidden agenda.

After visiting their dying father in hospice care, Walter and his sister, Melissa, are at a nearby diner when they are approached by a talent scout who works for a reality show. Despite assurances that the siblings are naturals, Walter has strong reservations about becoming involved in the show described as "an investigation into American religious ideas." However, his university teaching job is in jeopardy and in a state of vulnerability, Walter agrees to participate in Race to the Apocalypse. He and Melissa join the other cast members in a series of bizarre challenges that don't appear to have much to do with faith at all. From the onset of filming, Walter feels targeted and misunderstood and becomes increasingly suspicious of the show's creator, David Thorndike, and his motives. As production of the show continues, Walter's reputation, marriage, and even his life are threatened by the public's perception of so-called reality.

I have occasionally experienced love-hate relationships with reality shows which is one of the reasons I rarely watch them and prefer to read instead. Though I was immediately intrigued by the premise of the plot, the book encompassed so much more than I expected. The author's evocative writing style challenges readers to consider conflicting perspectives related to social issues and faith. Equally admirable is his ability to convey spiritual principles through fiction revolving around reality television and the potential havoc it creates. The result is a book that leaves an impression that lingers long after the last page is read.

The character development is another strength of the book. Though not particularly likable, Walter is relatable. Deeply flawed and ever the academic and skeptic, he is the type of character readers can picture debating controversial issues. However, I grew impatient with Walter's incessant self-analysis which slowed the pace of the book. I felt the author sufficiently established this particular character trait of the protagonist eliminating the need for frequent reminders. Even so, this was only a minor distraction in an overall enjoyable read. Additionally, the book was professionally edited.

Therefore, without reservation, I rate this thought-provoking read 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy books about faith and how it relates to social issues. It will also appeal to fans of reality shows. On the other hand, readers who dislike the debate of controversial topics or an introspective writing style may prefer to pass on this one.

Apocalypse TV
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I like reality shows but I am also aware that some of them are scripted but I have not watched a reality show based on faith so this seems intriguing.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

nonamer_miss wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 06:20 I like reality shows but I am also aware that some of them are scripted but I have not watched a reality show based on faith so this seems intriguing.
Yes, the concept is what attracted me to the book. Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love a premise that allows for lots of exploration of human nature and makes the reader really "think about what they think," so to speak. Thanks for another great review and an exciting recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Although the plot seems intriguing, I see nothing but red flags. I have a hard time imagining anything good coming from a faith-based reality show. I feel as if the show would make a mockery of religion. Nonetheless, because of your rating, I am curious about this book.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

I read a sample of the book and really struggled to connect with the premise. I just wanted to take a look at another person's perspective of the book and I must say that you summed it up nicely. I was also annoyed by the introspective writing style used in some parts of the book. Great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

SamSim wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 09:11 I love a premise that allows for lots of exploration of human nature and makes the reader really "think about what they think," so to speak. Thanks for another great review and an exciting recommendation!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jessacardinal wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 11:12 Although the plot seems intriguing, I see nothing but red flags. I have a hard time imagining anything good coming from a faith-based reality show. I feel as if the show would make a mockery of religion. Nonetheless, because of your rating, I am curious about this book.
Jessa, I agree, and the protagonist in the story had the same concerns. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Darlynn_Tebogo wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 13:23 I read a sample of the book and really struggled to connect with the premise. I just wanted to take a look at another person's perspective of the book and I must say that you summed it up nicely. I was also annoyed by the introspective writing style used in some parts of the book. Great review.
I understand what you mean Darlynn. I was slightly hesitant when I selected the book myself. Thanks for your kind comment. :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm kind of curious about the angle that the author comes from in regards to religion. That might make a difference as far as whether I read it or not. It sounds interesting for sure. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 18:33 I'm kind of curious about the angle that the author comes from in regards to religion. That might make a difference as far as whether I read it or not. It sounds interesting for sure. Thanks.
Thanks for your comment.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I empathise with Walter.Being misjudged in the name of 'reality' is quite a tough one. How did he get out of it?
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with you - books over tv! You have written an intriguing review and this sounds like an interesting story line. I will happily add this one to my list of books TBR! Thanks.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Onyinye Excel wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 06:31 I empathise with Walter.Being misjudged in the name of 'reality' is quite a tough one. How did he get out of it?
Thanks for your comment, but answering your questions would be revealing a plot spoiler! :no-spoil:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 09:52 I agree with you - books over tv! You have written an intriguing review and this sounds like an interesting story line. I will happily add this one to my list of books TBR! Thanks.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment. :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”