Official Review: Let the Holy Spirit Lead

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Let the Holy Spirit Lead

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Let the Holy Spirit Lead" by Johnese Puckett.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let the Holy Spirit Lead: Spirit-filled Book of Poems is a short volume of Christian-themed poetry written by Johnese Puckett.

The book of 50 poems is divided into three sections, “Who is Jesus,” “Stay Free,” and “Going Higher and Higher.” The poems are very conversational, with the narrator speaking directly to the reader. This approach makes the poems seem extremely personal and allows the narrator to come across as a friend who cares about the reader. Throughout the poems, the narrator provides advice about steps to Christian salvation, being strong in difficult times, developing a relationship with God, and more. Some of the poems begin with a rhyme scheme that then gives way to free verse. The majority of the poems, however, are written completely in free verse, and all are one stanza each. The shortest is 15 lines, and the longest is 43 lines. Instead of using poetic devices like imagery or symbolism, the author uses questions and discussion as the primary structure of her poetry. This fits well with the free-verse construction and non-stilted language.

The author’s caring heart shows all throughout this book. Puckett makes up for what might be considered a lack of poetic variety and craft with her honest desire that the reader learns to have a stronger Christian faith. This book could be used as a devotional tool for Christians interested in self-examination or for those who may want encouragement from these poems. Note, though, that unlike most devotionals, this book does not contain any scriptures.

I have some issues with a few of Puckett’s poems. For instance, “Speak to the Bones” offers encouragement to readers who may be undergoing trials. However, there is no background reference concerning the title, and neither is there is a scripture reference. If readers are unfamiliar with Ezekiel 37, they miss the Biblical meaning of “speaking to the bones.” There is also a poem entitled “the Testimony (part 2),” which I found confusing because I couldn’t find a part 1.

With consideration of poetic license, the only punctuation and grammar I scrutinized were in the Acknowledgements, Introduction, and Table of Contents. Unfortunately, I found several errors there, most of those being capitalization errors in the Table of Contents.

I give Let the Holy Spirit Lead 2 out of 4 stars. Because of the obvious enthusiasm of the author for her topic, I wanted to rate this book higher. Unfortunately, the lapses in content and the lack of professional editing prevented a 3-star rating. I considered giving only 1 star, but there is a great deal of feeling that comes through these pages, and that is much of what poetry is about. I am truly disappointed to say that I cannot recommend it.

Let the Holy Spirit Lead
View: on Bookshelves

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not big into poetry, but this does sound intriguing. It sounds like the author needs to have a few more references to some of her poems or a bit more background or something. Still, I like that she has a caring heart and that there is advice and encouragement here as well. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like an inspirational collection of poems. It's a shame the book wasn't better edited.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

It's a pity that the anthology was not properly edited because I like the concept of Christian poetry. I hope the author gets help and gives it another go. Thanks for the review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk

Post by Manang Muyang »

I believe Scripture references will make this book infinitely better. Christians are notorious (at least I am) for not knowing the Bible by heart, so a little reminder will be most welcome.
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

The book seems to hold inspiring poems. Too bad there were lapses in content and a lack of editing. Thanks for the helpful review. Might consider reading this book once edited. Nice review.
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

kandscreeley wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 09:01 I'm not big into poetry, but this does sound intriguing. It sounds like the author needs to have a few more references to some of her poems or a bit more background or something. Still, I like that she has a caring heart and that there is advice and encouragement here as well. Thanks.
Yes. I would love to see her revisit this collection and expand on it. Her love certainly shows through her work. Thank you for stopping by! :greetings-waveyellow:
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Cecilia_L wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 10:51 This sounds like an inspirational collection of poems. It's a shame the book wasn't better edited.
Exactly. I would love for her to take the time to revisit this work. It has the potential to be a great read.

Thank you for stopping by! :greetings-waveyellow:
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Ever_Reading wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 11:53 It's a pity that the anthology was not properly edited because I like the concept of Christian poetry. I hope the author gets help and gives it another go. Thanks for the review.
I agree completely. I would love to see her revisit this work and bring it to its full potential.

sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Miriam Molina wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 19:45 I believe Scripture references will make this book infinitely better. Christians are notorious (at least I am) for not knowing the Bible by heart, so a little reminder will be most welcome.
Oh, yes. I would love to see this author revisit this work. This could be a wonderful devotional.

sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Rose Harebate wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 07:52 The book seems to hold inspiring poems. Too bad there were lapses in content and a lack of editing. Thanks for the helpful review. Might consider reading this book once edited. Nice review.
Yes. I would love to see the author revisit this work for revision and editing!

sarahmarlowe

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”