Official Review: Lucifer Gave me to Satan by Marie Bradley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Official Review: Lucifer Gave me to Satan by Marie Bradley

Post by SpencerVo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lucifer Gave me to Satan" by Marie Bradley.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lucifer Gave me to Satan is Marie Bradley’s short story retelling the tragic life of Demise, a teenage girl suffering from her foster mother’s cruel abuse. She thinks she finally has a chance of happiness when her long-time crush approaches her, but he ends up treating her like a cheap tramp. The one-night stand leads to a scandalous accident which her heartless mother will not tolerate. Desperate and confused, she flees home in an attempt to reconcile with her birth mother and maybe build a proper family. Little does she know that she has just jumped headfirst into a devious trap. This time, she does not only have to endure cruel lashings and venomous words. Something even more sinister is awaiting her fate. Will she be able to survive the situation? Or will she lose her all her hope, her naivety, and eventually herself?

In my opinion, this story is an exploitative tragedy littered with major flaws. The narrative contains piles of cliché-ridden details, and even the tragedies are not that surprising either. The descriptions of underage sexual encounters and profanities are supposed to be shocking. Unfortunately, because we have seen them so often in mainstream media and the way these events are delivered is not different or memorable, the story falls short. Overall, the plot is boring and easy to guess.

The characterization is extremely bad. All characters, no matter how important they are, are hollow and stereotypical. Demise is the worst offender. Although her arc is meant to be heartbreaking and evoke sympathy, for the first half of the story, she appears to be just sad. Even Cinderella has more complexity! She is also ridiculously naive and trusting despite having been treated cruelly and shunted for the whole of her life. Suddenly, at the end of the story, she snaps in the most unrealistic way, and her outbursts come out of nowhere. I had not seen a single hint of intense hatred or violent tendency before. Even worse, her reactions after the outbursts are uncharacteristically level-headed and bizarrely vindictive. Kind people sometimes go bad after undergoing traumatic events, but I didn’t see any reasoning, agony, or anything that could remotely convince me of such a drastic transformation from Demise.

The story has many grammatical and punctuation errors, and there are some awkward expressions. For example, after Demise goes through another tragic incident, the story delivers this metaphor “her soul black and thirsting for blood.” My immediate response was “oh, she has turned into a vampire!” Mind you, I’m not trying to be funny. This is just the proof of how emotionally disconnected I was to the story and the characters. It is a very short story, so I didn’t expect long-winded emotional rants. However, because the author often resorted to banal expressions, the story is devoid of any real emotions. I did experience a few moments of horror and pity, but I felt pained at the events, not for Demise herself. The story’s best use of language is the title, which is a hilarious fact considering how campy the whole story is.

There is nothing positive I can comment on this book except for the relatively straightforward writing style. Therefore, I have to rate it 1 out of 4 stars. Unless you want an example of how not to write a good tragedy, I wouldn’t recommend Lucifer Gave me to Satan to anybody.

Lucifer Gave me to Satan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SpencerVo's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. It definitely sounds like this is a book to be avoided. I don't think with the description that it's one I would go for anyway. However, with all the issues that you mention, and especially with the horrible characterization, I'm just going to skip it. I hope your next book is better.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The Plot and characterization are the main things that appeals in a book. But unfortunately both are bad in it. So I will surely avoid reading this book. Thanks for your honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

The title of this book is itself welcoming. Coupled with this review, It is one thing to make me think of reading the book soon. Thanks.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I would have tried this by just seeing the cover page, if not for your review. Descriptive and very useful. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

The title of this book seems to have told the girl's ordeals in full.I admire the author's ingenuity.
JanetLe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JanetLe »

Hahahaha I like your honesty and sense of humor. I will definitely choose this book because of its cover and title. I really appreciate your honest review :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”