Official Review: Lucifer Gave me to Satan by Marie Bradley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy by George Neumann

Official Review: Lucifer Gave me to Satan by Marie Bradley

Post by SpencerVo » 05 Jan 2019, 12:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lucifer Gave me to Satan" by Marie Bradley.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lucifer Gave me to Satan is Marie Bradley’s short story retelling the tragic life of Demise, a teenage girl suffering from her foster mother’s cruel abuse. She thinks she finally has a chance of happiness when her long-time crush approaches her, but he ends up treating her like a cheap tramp. The one-night stand leads to a scandalous accident which her heartless mother will not tolerate. Desperate and confused, she flees home in an attempt to reconcile with her birth mother and maybe build a proper family. Little does she know that she has just jumped headfirst into a devious trap. This time, she does not only have to endure cruel lashings and venomous words. Something even more sinister is awaiting her fate. Will she be able to survive the situation? Or will she lose her all her hope, her naivety, and eventually herself?

In my opinion, this story is an exploitative tragedy littered with major flaws. The narrative contains piles of cliché-ridden details, and even the tragedies are not that surprising either. The descriptions of underage sexual encounters and profanities are supposed to be shocking. Unfortunately, because we have seen them so often in mainstream media and the way these events are delivered is not different or memorable, the story falls short. Overall, the plot is boring and easy to guess.

The characterization is extremely bad. All characters, no matter how important they are, are hollow and stereotypical. Demise is the worst offender. Although her arc is meant to be heartbreaking and evoke sympathy, for the first half of the story, she appears to be just sad. Even Cinderella has more complexity! She is also ridiculously naive and trusting despite having been treated cruelly and shunted for the whole of her life. Suddenly, at the end of the story, she snaps in the most unrealistic way, and her outbursts come out of nowhere. I had not seen a single hint of intense hatred or violent tendency before. Even worse, her reactions after the outbursts are uncharacteristically level-headed and bizarrely vindictive. Kind people sometimes go bad after undergoing traumatic events, but I didn’t see any reasoning, agony, or anything that could remotely convince me of such a drastic transformation from Demise.

The story has many grammatical and punctuation errors, and there are some awkward expressions. For example, after Demise goes through another tragic incident, the story delivers this metaphor “her soul black and thirsting for blood.” My immediate response was “oh, she has turned into a vampire!” Mind you, I’m not trying to be funny. This is just the proof of how emotionally disconnected I was to the story and the characters. It is a very short story, so I didn’t expect long-winded emotional rants. However, because the author often resorted to banal expressions, the story is devoid of any real emotions. I did experience a few moments of horror and pity, but I felt pained at the events, not for Demise herself. The story’s best use of language is the title, which is a hilarious fact considering how campy the whole story is.

There is nothing positive I can comment on this book except for the relatively straightforward writing style. Therefore, I have to rate it 1 out of 4 stars. Unless you want an example of how not to write a good tragedy, I wouldn’t recommend Lucifer Gave me to Satan to anybody.

Lucifer Gave me to Satan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SpencerVo's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Memory Walker by Carly Marino

Post by kandscreeley » 08 Jan 2019, 10:45

Wow. It definitely sounds like this is a book to be avoided. I don't think with the description that it's one I would go for anyway. However, with all the issues that you mention, and especially with the horrible characterization, I'm just going to skip it. I hope your next book is better.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 09 Jan 2019, 02:07

The Plot and characterization are the main things that appeals in a book. But unfortunately both are bad in it. So I will surely avoid reading this book. Thanks for your honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

esthersamone
2019 Reading Goal: 3
2017 Reading Goal: 2
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 386

Post by esthersamone » 09 Jan 2019, 06:39

The title of this book is itself welcoming. Coupled with this review, It is one thing to make me think of reading the book soon. Thanks.

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: There and Back There Again
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sushan » 09 Jan 2019, 20:04

I would have tried this by just seeing the cover page, if not for your review. Descriptive and very useful. Thank you 👍👍
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sweet Psamy » 11 Jan 2019, 08:13

The title of this book seems to have told the girl's ordeals in full.I admire the author's ingenuity.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”