Review by svhsexcheerldr -- Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
svhsexcheerldr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-svhsexcheerldr.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Review by svhsexcheerldr -- Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by svhsexcheerldr »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna is an intriguing satire that makes light of serious matters connected to political scenarios, and the disgust that arises from the public regarding uncertain times/government policies. Set in modern day, the book focuses on Pomeroy (a crude-talking parolee, womanizer, and free-spirited traveler with an upbeat personality) who bounces around from place to place hoping to score a music deal for his hit single “Ants in My Pants;” he never misses the chance to perform this ditty in front of an unsuspecting audience. Unfortunately, these patrons are often gathered to violently protest what they believe is unjust in the economy. Naive Pomeroy habitually succumbs to his rebel-like demeanor, leading to his inevitable arrests time and time again. Nevertheless, Pomeroy (never deterred by a few slaps-on-the-wrist) continues his quest for musical fame, fortune, and of course, “groupies” every time bail is granted, and the open road is once again his for the taking.

Although a rather controversial read (and not amongst the genres of books I’d pick for my personal enjoyment), this novel had many aspects I found amusing. I can appreciate the comedic approach Hanna portrayed throughout the book, even though many of the situations discussed are not only relatable to the times, but also very serious. My attention was focused more on Pomeroy’s ambition for stardom, his ridiculous song, and constant attempts to dodge the law than the tumultuous times within the nation. Despite Pomeroy’s notorious past, I found myself hoping this character would finally achieve the fame he so much desired.

Nevertheless, I will say I did not care for the profanity permeated throughout the entire book, nor did I like the countless sexual references towards the opposite sex. Many of Pomeroy’s thoughts regarding women contain blunt language which leaves nothing to the imagination and are enhanced with a strong dose of innuendo.

Individuals who may enjoy reading Call Me Pomeroy are those who find interest in political satires that focus on primary events in a contemporary world. Keep in mind that this book does have a good amount of humor and one must be able to appreciate the frivolity which intertwines with uneasy circumstances. Additionally (and very importantly), Hanna’s literary work is (I assume) intended for an adult audience. Open-minded contemporary readers might be able to deal nonchalantly with the language, and Pomeroy’s sexually explicit thoughts/words. Read with caution!

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The word choice and profuse sexual connotations were not my favorite and impossible to ignore. I also am not a huge fan of literature that references politics and government standpoints, especially when the times reflect tangible issues within the world. Nevertheless, Pomeroy’s rather informal vocabulary (beginning sentences with prepositions/conjunctions) made this character relatable and made the book a smooth/easy-flowing read. This satire is sure to keep the reader engaged from beginning to end.

Call Me Pomeroy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like svhsexcheerldr's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”