Official Review: Willy B. Superstar by Dennis N. Ricci

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Willy B. Superstar by Dennis N. Ricci

Post by lesler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Willy B. Superstar" by Dennis N. Ricci.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Willy B. Superstar by Dennis N. Ricci, Willy Beals is unique. There has never been a woman like her. At the start of the book, Beals is a minor league baseball pitcher, clawing her way to get to the Major Leagues. Then, her chance comes. Willy becomes the first female to play Major League Baseball, pitching for the New York Diamonds. A series of unfortunate events quickly lands her back in the minors, and then Beals finds success as a Buffalo Wolf, of the American League. Happy to not bat anymore, Beals seems to have found her calling.

Willy's role in history is not without controversy. With the news media following her every breath, Willy makes enemies in the form of her teammates and coaches, jealous of her opportunities. As the season progresses, Willy's encounters with others and her inner struggle to succeed professionally plagues this young star. Will she stay pitching in the major leagues through the season? Will her teammates accept her? Will the Diamonds reveal Willy's deep secret to the Wolves and the world? Only time will tell in this stunning novel.

I adored this novel. A lover of baseball, I enjoyed the detailed baseball knowledge of the writer. This book reminds me of the TV series "Pitch," which has a similar main storyline. I have not enjoyed a sports-themed book this much in a long time. Willy is a strong main character, with an excellent wit about her. She tries her hardest to be masculine during games, but her sensitive side comes out at times, making this a unique book.

This book appears to be professionally edited, with only one typo that I found. There were some formatting issues in a few places of the book, where the words were vertically juxtaposed to the right and there were only two or three letters on a line. I don't think these issues took away from my interest in the book. The author's choice of fictional names for professional baseball teams amused me, and I also appreciated his knowledge of the city of Buffalo. This is a sports story, with a central focus on the main character's life in and out of baseball.

I give Willy B. Superstar by Dennis N. Ricci 4 out of 4 stars for its excellent storyline, wonderful characters, and vivid imagery. I recommend this book for any sports lover interested in a strong main character breaking the gender barriers of Major League Baseball.

Willy B. Superstar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not a huge lover of baseball. However, I do enjoy the idea of a woman pitching for the big leagues! I might have to read it for that reason and because it got such a high mark from you! Thanks so much for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Sounds like an interesting story with a big focus on baseball! I like that its based on a woman's experience navigating through fame and success in sports. Great review!
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

This is no doubt a good book on sports. I am not a fan of sports so much but I must confess that this review has really impressed me. Thanks.
PleasureToBurn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by PleasureToBurn »

Sounds good, I'm a big fan of baseball but you never really see it in fiction. I'll have to check this out.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I'm already inspired by Willy's pursuit for success. Thanks for the insightful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”