Official Review: Ramrod by Steven Athanas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Ramrod by Steven Athanas

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ramrod" by Steven Athanas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Ramrod by Steven Athanas, Maxwell Hugo finds himself back in a war zone as an aviation contractor, after replying to a job advertisement. Years have passed and his idealism has waned. The complexities of war, however, are still the same. He is teamed up with a troublesome team of former Soviet pilots whose professionalism is questionable. The Taliban are relentless and ruthless and the locals are not friendly. Hugo tries to balance between NATO officers’ demands and an employer’s actions that are focused on reducing expenses. This becomes a dangerous task while combined with the provision of leadership to a team with communication hurdles and whose members have an unquenchable thirst for alcohol.

Told with subtle humor, Ramrod is both engaging and entertaining. I liked that the dialogues are funny and they reveal the characters’ attitudes. They also portray the conflict that aviation contractors have to deal with while trying to please both their employer and the customer. In the story, Hugo serves as an observer and even though he does not explicitly state his thoughts in the conversations, his hidden opinions of the characters are included which makes the book even more entertaining.

I also liked that the characters appear real. Athanas does not sugar-coat situations and more importantly, he does not try to paint an idealistic picture of war. As someone who has witnessed similar circumstances as those in the book, the author’s experience comes in handy in shaping a real and relatable story. In the book, the team members in Hugo’s group have flaws that comprise the team’s efficiency. The circumstances reflect real issues which make the plot unpredictable. This made me even more curious to see how the team would manage to carry out their missions. I was also eager to learn about Hugo’s tactics in leading his problematic team.

The Afghans’ culture also features in the book. This is another aspect of the book which I appreciated since it adds to the story’s authenticity. Athanas includes details of the people’s attitude and struggles. He provides details of what living in a war zone is like. Editing of the book is also done expertly and I did not identify any errors. I only wish the book would have included more action scenes.

Ramrod by Steven Athanas is an entertaining and eye-opening read. It is suitable for readers who are interested in reading about the true dynamics of a war zone environment and the different parties involved. Readers with an idealistic perception on war may not enjoy this book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Ramrod
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm very glad you enjoyed this book, but it just doesn't appeal to me. It would be interesting to learn about the Afghan culture, and the characters seem very realistic. However, I just don't think the story line would keep me engaged. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:

Post by EmunahAn »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 11:01 I'm very glad you enjoyed this book, but it just doesn't appeal to me. It would be interesting to learn about the Afghan culture, and the characters seem very realistic. However, I just don't think the story line would keep me engaged. Thanks, though.
I understand. Different readers prefer different genres. I was intrigued by the direction the author took. His narration is unique.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Having Hugo’s hidden opinions expressed throughout the book was a wonderful idea and decision by the author. Do you think combat Marines battling PTSD would be able to enjoy reading this book?
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

That this book is told in some humor is one reason which I may want to read it. Thanks for this comprehensive review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your writing. I'm glad you enjoyed this book and rated it so highly. It's wonderful when a book is well edited. Thanks for your excellent review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I really enjoyed reading your review. It sounds like a well-thought-out book by the author. I also find Jessacardinal's question valid too. However, this is a book I'd like to read. Your review has piqued my interest in it. Thanks
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:

Post by EmunahAn »

Jessacardinal wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 15:40 Having Hugo’s hidden opinions expressed throughout the book was a wonderful idea and decision by the author. Do you think combat Marines battling PTSD would be able to enjoy reading this book?
Thank you for your response. The story is told with a touch of humor and does not place too much focus on the horrific side of battle which I think makes it a good read.
― Nora Ephron
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I love the fact that the dialogues are funny because I like a good laugh whenever I'might reading any story.nice one.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”