Official Review: Fifty, Four Ways by Katherine Cobb

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Fifty, Four Ways by Katherine Cobb

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fifty, Four Ways" by Katherine Cobb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fifty, Four Ways by Katherine Cobb travels back to the time when Fifty Shades of Grey was just starting to take off and make waves. The story follows four women, all mothers with sons on the baseball team, and how their experiences with the book make them question their desires and satisfaction in their marriages. Kelli is a librarian whose husband is more focused on prepping for doomsday than he is on their love life. Mel is overly conscious of her body and doesn't feel able to ask for more in the bedroom. Lynn wants to try some kinky things, but her husband is resistant to change. And Candy is a trophy wife who can't get along with her stepson and suspects her plastic surgeon husband of cheating.

I'll be honest. I've only been married for a few months, but I can see bits and pieces of myself in all four of these women. I was so bored at work that I downloaded the book during my lunch break and finished it just four hours later! (I know, I'm blessed to have such a free job.) I was so sucked into the novel that I didn't care bother with switching tabs when people passed behind me. Not even during the steamy bits. I'm shameless, but that's how good this book was.

I usually have a hard time telling characters apart at the beginning of books, but the author helpfully started each chapter with a little picture related to that character's life. For example, the chapters in Candy's point of view, the plastic surgeon's wife, always started with a picture of two cantaloupes. I'll let you guess why.

Not only did the pictures help me straighten out the characters and their families quickly, but I felt a little jolt every time I saw the pictures and thought, "Finally! I was wondering what would happen next with her!" I loved all the characters but the four main women were true stars, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Also, I loved how they each started reading the series with the same expectations, but they took away different lessons. There was a lot of character growth, with a touch of drama.

Not to mention, I found two whole typos in the entire book. Honestly, it was one of the best books I've read in a long, long time. I have absolutely no complaints, although I do wish it could have been longer! Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be made into a movie, just like with Fifty Shades of Grey. Katherine Cobb is a wonderful, funny author. I can't wait to read more of her work!

Fifty, Four Ways is more interesting than Sex and the City and ten times more interesting than the series that inspired it! I felt emotionally moved and lifted by these women and have learned so much that I plan on implementing in my own marriage. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and would highly recommend it to any woman of marrying age, whether she enjoyed Fifty Shades of Grey or not. There are some steamy scenes, but as I mentioned earlier, I read this in my office on my computer screen, so nothing too scandalous. Or maybe my shamelessness truly knows no bounds.

Fifty, Four Ways
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Your review is intriguing, but this isn't a book I would normally read. More power to you, though, for reading this one at work! I'm still going to pass, but your review was a pleasure to read.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

Lol, that was a great review. Your passion for the book is infectious. I haven't read 50 Shades of Grey and I'm obviously not the target. However, your enjoyment alone made me intrigued enough to check it out on Amazon. :)
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by melissah30 »

Oh! This actually sounds like something I would like to read! I liked how you said that you were excited every time it switched points of view, because there's so many books or movies I've seen where one person's point of view is way more interesting and I get bored by the other stories. I'll definitely be adding this to my "to read" list! :techie-studyingbrown:
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I too sometimes fret a bit when I realize I have chosen a book with several main characters which inevitably cause a book to jump all over the place. I am intrigued by your description of the authors solution to keeping up with the characters and look forward to reading this book.
Clei
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Clei »

After the review, i think i am going to set a date to read this book without any disturbance😊. The fact that the reviewer is very passionate, is understandable enough that this book has a very great storyline.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Congrats on your new marriage! (: Kudos to you for reading this at work, definitely! The books sounds right up my alley, and I would love a chance to read this, especially with the well-developed character cast and plot. Thanks for the review!!
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This is going to be so much fun to read, I bet it felt like watching a reality series. I can’t even guess why there is always a picture of two cantaloupe introducing the trophy wife and I am curious.

Thanks for this funny review, congratulations on getting married and I am glad you were not sanctioned for reading a book with steamy bits at work.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

A story that examines the marital experience of different couples is quite enthralling. I want to read this book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”