Official Review: the lord peter sluggly chronicles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: the lord peter sluggly chronicles

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "the lord peter sluggly chronicles" by Simon. A. Gallimore.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lord Peter Sluggly Chronicles is the second installment of the Jamie Ballard books. In this work of fiction, author Simon A. Gallimore captures the reader's attention with a compelling adventure set in high society England.

Peter invites Jamie, H, and Vinny to the annual Sluggly manor summer ball. The weekend takes an unexpected turn when a treasure hunt begins after Peter discovers a two-hundred-year-old cylinder lodged inside an oak tree. While brainstorming and following a series of clues, the friends make a few enemies because someone else is after the alleged treasure. The quartet must work fast because Peter Sluggly risks losing his birthright.

The book has well-developed characters with distinct personalities that shine through the madness. Jamie, Vinny, and H's practical jokes though entertaining were a little out of hand. Their actions will leave readers pondering about appropriate behavior, especially what's befitting of guests. The author also highlights classism as some of the upper-class individuals were entitled and deemed themselves superior. The extent to which people will go to acquire wealth and power is shocking and reflects the rot within society. The author wove these themes to create a cohesive work with unfolding mysteries at every turn.

I was surprised that some of the high society women acted unladylike behind closed doors but put on a facade for public approval. Their actions were astonishing, but the drama kept me flipping the pages. Through them, the author tackled sexuality in an open and non-judgmental manner without diverting attention from the main plot. At the heart of the story is the strong friendship between Jamie, Vinny, Peter, and H. The good times bring joy and laughter but the trying times draw them closer. Their friendship will instill in readers the value of loyalty. It's worth mentioning that most of the story takes place throughout three days. I applaud the author for piecing together enough material to fill an entire book while leaving the reader yearning for more.

The slow pace at which the story moved is what I didn't like about the book. It was disheartening, but I felt relief when the pace picked up as the story progressed. Since this is the second book in a series, I can attest that it reads as a stand-alone and those who haven't read the first installment need not shy away. Because I spotted multiple errors, mostly misplaced commas and misspelled words, I'll award this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars and recommend that it undergo a round of editing to eliminate the typos. The Lord Peter Sluggly Chronicles is an entertaining read that I will recommend to lovers of treasure hunts, fans of puzzles, and lovers of fiction stories. I will, however, not recommend it to underage readers because it contains mature content.

the lord peter sluggly chronicles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds interesting. A treasure hunt? I'm just not sure if I would enjoy it or not. The slow beginning is a bit of a turn off as are some of the themes. I'll think on it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like your clear definition of the main themes of this book. I also appreciate your high praise for the author's writing style. The pacing and the setting, though, give me second thoughts about this book. Two pros and two cons - will have to thing about it! Thanks for your interesting review.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

That People would grow to great lengths to acquire wealth in today's society is true. What happened to the treasure? Who finally found it and how?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”