Official Review: The Cell by Parker T. Pettus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: The Cell by Parker T. Pettus

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cell" by Parker T. Pettus.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Cell by Parker T. Pettus is a fictional story that revolves around a sleeper cell of 3 terrorists, Firuzeh, Muhammad, and Abdul, who had been hiding in plain sight for years in America after their attack on the World Trade Center. Through the years, they took on normal jobs and tried to fit into American society as much as possible, while awaiting instructions from Al Qaeda for their next mission. However, after years of endlessly scanning cable television and keeping their ears to the ground for any instructions on their next mission, it seemed as though the instructions would never come. How would they handle staying in a foreign country for so long, especially when the war against terrorism was at its peak at that point?

Picking up this book, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. After reading the book's description, I hoped that there would be elements of action and suspense in the story. My expectations weren't met, and I was further disappointed by the general content of the book, which is why making the decision to rate The Cell 1 out of 4 stars is a very easy one.

The author kicks off the story by giving the reader a quick introduction to the 3 terrorists. We follow their movement from Newark to New Jersey, their jobs, and tactics they employ to avoid any suspicion. However, the author doesn't reveal any details at all about their likes, dislikes, fears, and motivations. This was the same for all the characters in the story, and it made it impossible for me to connect to any of the characters, as I didn't know how they felt at any point of the story.

I hoped that what the story lacked in character development would be made up for in an interesting plot. However, the consistency of plot holes throughout the story ensured my disappointment in that aspect. For people that were considered as trained terrorists, I didn't expect the main characters to be as clueless as they were. On more than one occasion, they didn't understand important secret codes that may have passed on important information about their next mission. The author also failed to explain why they couldn't leave America, especially after not hearing from their colleagues for years. The story contained many more unanswered questions and situations that didn't make sense, which I will not include here to avoid giving any spoilers.

Furthermore, I didn't like the author's writing style. It was not descriptive at all and left too much work to my imagination. The author included illustrations in the book, which helped lift the burden off my imagination a bit, but these illustrations were few and far between.

In addition, The Cell is poorly edited. It seemed like some effort was put into editing the beginning part of the book, but as the story went halfway, I noticed more grammatical errors. Most of the errors were missed commas, run-on sentences, and misspelled words. The book was also poorly organized. Sentences and paragraphs weren't arranged properly. There were also a lot of unnecessary empty pages within chapters.

Overall, there wasn't much to like about The Cell. The only thing I enjoyed was how humorous some of the characters were. I would not recommend The Cell to anyone, as I didn't enjoy reading it and still can't decide on which genre to place it.

The Cell
View: on Bookshelves

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Just from the cover, I'm left wondering at exactly who this book is trying to reach. The drawing definitely doesn't seem like it's geared toward adults, but it's obviously not a children's book. In addition, the plot really doesn't sound like something I would be interested in. It's just not enough. I'm sorry you had to trudge through this one. Hope your next book is better.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 08:29 Just from the cover, I'm left wondering at exactly who this book is trying to reach. The drawing definitely doesn't seem like it's geared toward adults, but it's obviously not a children's book.
At first, I also thought this was a children's book, and although the summary surprised me, it sounded interesting and promising. Too bad the author could not build up a proper story with engaging characters and a sensible plot. Thank you for your review, and I hope you will find a more enjoyable book next time!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

Oh dear, lol, that's too bad. It would have been interesting to read about a terrorist cell. I guess that's why our reviews are so useful. We can tell which are winners and which are bombs. Thanks for being the man on point.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

However, the author doesn't reveal any details at all about their likes, dislikes, fears, and motivations. This was the same for all the characters in the story, and it made it impossible for me to connect to any of the characters, as I didn't know how they felt at any point of the story.
Too bad, this can be a downfall of self-published authors.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

An ineffective plot can render an author's work unenjoyable. I can definitely imagine the agony you had to put yourself through by forcing yourself to get through the book. Hopefully your next read will be enjoyable.
Standor96
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Standor96 »

Looking at the cover of this book is even confusing. It looks as if it's a children's book even though it's not. I can imagine how difficult it was for you to read through this.
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

When I saw your low rating for the book, I was interested in knowing why it got rated so low. Having read your review, I'll say you were a bit generous. Nice review and hope your next book is a much better one.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

The struggle you had to go through to read this book is evident in your review and that is amazing, even if I haven’t read the book, I can almost feel what you felt reading.

A book like this would be difficult to pull off so proper research by the author on how character development should go would have made it a lot better and the presentation starting from the cover says nothing about terror or crime. They say a book should not be judged by it’s cover but I am judging this one pretty hard from your review. Thanks for this awesome review, the book is a no for me.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I would love to look into the life of a terrorist. Sounds like an adventurous tale.Thanks for the insightful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”