Official Review: The Speed of Life by James Victor Jordan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Official Review: The Speed of Life by James Victor Jordan

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Speed of Life" by James Victor Jordan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Follow your own star and you cannot fail to reach your destination,” Inferno by Dante. Translated and paraphrased by James Victor Jordan.

James Victor Jordan’s debut novel, The Speed of Life is a mix of more than one genre, for it entwines astrophysics, philosophy, psychology, mysticism, and thrill.

Oscillating between the first and the third person narrative, and moving forward and backward in time, Jordan starts out with the story of Estella Verus, who is part Seminole, part black, and part white. She works as a federal prosecutor in South Florida and has a 20-year-old son. Andrew, her son, has trouble with the law, having already faced charges of LSD possession. What does Andrew have to do with what happened to her? Does this threaten her love for him? Will Estella have the ability to make amends to him?

With a rich cast of characters, the author does a terrific job bringing them to life and giving them diversity, depth, and believability. I related the most to the character of Hailey, whom I thought was authentic, and true to herself albeit flawed. Here’s a glimpse, “He looks at TV the way he used to look at me, and he looks at me as if I were the furniture. That’s when he bothers to look at me when he isn’t looking at his smartphone.”

I could identify with Georges Bohem, the lawyer, whose vulnerability added genuineness and transparency to the text. Here’s an example, “Even if I agreed to represent you on your own dime, hoping you’d pay me after you’re found not guilty, you still couldn’t afford me. Hell, I couldn’t afford me.”

The first few chapters read like short stories. Despite having different lines in life, the stories are related, one way or the other, and they revolve in the orbit of Estella’s story. As you proceed through the book, the intricate plot unravels, the characters’ paths cross, and it all comes together in a well-structured and smooth narrative.

I found this book beautifully written, fast-paced, and engaging. I was particularly impressed by the intelligent dialogue, which acted as a vessel to convey messages of tolerance and love. Blending astronomy with mysticism, and seasoning with just the right amount of philosophical queries on faith and life, the book is a feast of wisdom. The details of the court proceedings and the insider’s look into the frustrating legal system that the author provided are a testament to his legal finesse, being an attorney himself.

Of a special appeal is the vivid description of the Seminole culture and mythology. As a descendant of Eastern European shamans, Jordan integrates shamanic practices into the story and touches on how these impact the characters’ contemporary lives. Moreover, Jordan has the tools of putting you in Florida’s Southeast coast, where you can marvel at the sights and smells of the Everglades.

If I were pressed to state what I liked least about the book, I would pick the momentary need to reorient the characters in my mind because of the flashbacks. That said, I unreservedly recommend The Speed of Life, to a vast array of readers. The amalgamation of thrill, philosophy, spirituality, science, nature, and multiculturalism renders this book appealing to fans of all these genres. If you’re looking for a riveting, unique, and thought-provoking read, then this is a perfect match. Having a bit of everything for everyone, I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t find in it something to identify with.

I fell under the impression that the book is professionally edited, as I only came across a handful of trivial errors, like an extra letter or a missing pronoun, which by no means took away from my overall enjoyment of the book. Far from mundane, The Speed of Life is a recipe for the inquisitive mind, for it delves into a myriad of topics astutely and candidly. It is, therefore, my utmost pleasure to rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Jordan said it eloquently, “After all, what is consciousness if not a dialogue between the past, the present, and the future? What are memories and dreams if not an expression of the speed of life?”

The Speed of Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ruba Abu Ali's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do love a good fast-paced book. Plus, the rich characters always draw me in. This sounds very well done with the ability to learn more about the Seminole culture as well. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ruba Abu Ali
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

A highly-recommended read, indeed! Thank you for stopping by and for the comment.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The fast-paced story and well-developed characters really appeal to me. Thanks for the excellent review, Ruba!
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Cecilia_L wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 18:57 The fast-paced story and well-developed characters really appeal to me. Thanks for the excellent review, Ruba!
It's a unique book that has it all. Thanks for dropping by and for the comment, Cecilia! :techie-studyingbrown:
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Your choice of words amaze me. What a thorough review!
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

C-Extra22 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 08:01 Your choice of words amaze me. What a thorough review!
Thank you so much. I appreciate it. :tiphat:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I enjoy fast paced books. I'll have to add this one to my tbr. Thanks for reviewing it!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Vscholz wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 01:59 I enjoy fast paced books. I'll have to add this one to my tbr. Thanks for reviewing it!
Thanks for the comment. Hope you enjoy reading it.
Sirolbat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sirolbat »

The topic itself is a real message to all human kind because it acted as a channel to convince people on how tolerance and love what is deposited in someone's life
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Sirolbat wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 06:50 The topic itself is a real message to all human kind because it acted as a channel to convince people on how tolerance and love what is deposited in someone's life
Absolutely! The premise behind the book and the messages it conveys are noble and humane. Thanks for dropping by and for the comment.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”