Official Review: The Brass Rail by Luther Robison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Brass Rail by Luther Robison

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Brass Rail" by Luther Robison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in Japan during the Korean War, Luther Robison's The Brass Rail refers to the small tavern where an ensemble of Air Force and Army patrons blow off steam. The story follows Andy Anderson and the relationships he forms during his time enlisted.

For the past year, Andy has been stationed at the nearby base, and the tavern has become his second home. Run by the elegant and efficient Mama-san and the young female locals she employs, the hangout is frequented by both recently enlisted men as well as a group of older WWII soldiers whose ranks have been reduced due to various misdemeanors. One of them, Sargeant Butler, is a former captain with a tendency to drink too much. When he goes missing, Andy and his friend, Mel, are assigned the task of finding him. As the story unfolds, Andy learns more about the different people he's met. Friendships and bonds are forged that transcend the end of the war.

The book is well-written and fast-paced. I must confess that plots that are primarily war-related are not usually my cup of tea. In this instance, though the story is set during the Korean War with the expected wartime references, the plot is mostly relationship-driven by the strong characters the author skillfully weaves throughout the multilayered storyline.

In fact, what I like most about this book is its cast of complex characters that drive the plot. The protagonist, Andy, is a Colorado farm boy who joined the Air Force to avoid being drafted by the Army. His side-kick, Mel, comes from a wealthy family in Philadelphia, though he doesn't receive any financial help from home. Their first impression of Sargeant Butler is that of a washed-up reservist who drinks too much. However, they soon learn the older soldier has an impressive history. Likewise, the owner of the tavern, Mama-san, has a secret past as well. Then, there's Remmey, the first friend Andy made traveling to Japan on the USNS General Howze; Remmey may be the biggest mystery of them all. Though all of the characters are not as likable as Andy, they are well-developed and relatable.

The book is exceptionally edited as I didn't note any errors. Also, considering that there were multiple characters with backstories, the plot flows smoothly without the inconsistencies or gaps in the timeline that sometimes result with plural storylines. Additionally, I found no other area to highlight for improvement. Therefore, I am pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy war-related historical fiction. However, since the plot is more focused on relationships than the actual war, it may also appeal to a wider audience including those interested in the Japanese culture and customs.

View Bookshelves page for The Brass Rail

View author's website (authorlutherrobinson.com)

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. Fast paced. Exceptionally edited. Complex characters. I'm not sure what more you could ask for. I'm still not sure I would enjoy it, but I'm glad you did. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 22 Dec 2018, 10:48 Wow. Fast paced. Exceptionally edited. Complex characters. I'm not sure what more you could ask for. I'm still not sure I would enjoy it, but I'm glad you did. Thanks.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm also not huge on war books - so what a refreshing change to have this one more character driven.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"The book is well-written and fast-paced. I must confess that plots that are primarily war-related are not usually my cup of tea. In this instance, though the story is set during the Korean War with the expected wartime references, the plot is mostly relationship-driven by the strong characters the author skillfully weaves throughout the multilayered storyline."
I, too, usually avoid war-related books, but your review has me very interested in reading this one.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 13:39 I'm also not huge on war books - so what a refreshing change to have this one more character driven.
Great review!
I agree. Thanks for your comment, Bianka!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

SamSim wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 16:39
"The book is well-written and fast-paced. I must confess that plots that are primarily war-related are not usually my cup of tea. In this instance, though the story is set during the Korean War with the expected wartime references, the plot is mostly relationship-driven by the strong characters the author skillfully weaves throughout the multilayered storyline."
I, too, usually avoid war-related books, but your review has me very interested in reading this one.
Thank you, I appreciate your comment.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Historical fiction is a favorite genre of mine. This sounds like a particularly intriguing story. Thinking it's going on my "To Read" list.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Service in the Airforce or Army can be quite adventurous. I think I might learn some new things from this story.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A historical fiction novel that takes place during the Korean War and follows a military man's experiences sounds good. It seems the book has all the ingredients of a good book: well-written, well-edited, fast-paced, strong characters, and a good plot. A smooth transition between plural storylines is a plus. The focus on Japanese culture and customs another bonus. I am not sure it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I know some family members of mine that would enjoy this book!
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I've only read a few pages since downloading it, but already I like it. Your review makes it sound like a good read as well, so I'm looking forward to it.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

This Korean war novel is set in a small bar in Japan where the enlisted men hang out. It has well-developed characters and a multi-layered plot that flows seamlessly together. Congratulations to the author for his excellent story that was chosen as BOTD. Thanks to the reviewer for bringing this book to my attention.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an historical fiction novel on the Korean War, Japan, and new relationships formed by WWII veterans. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Phikim
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phikim.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Phikim »

I love this review. It arouses my curiosity to take on this book and see the resemblance of the juicy story. Through the sample, the book seems professionally written in an average grammar that one has to be keen on to grasp everything. I would have loved and appreciated better if I would see much of character conversations. Congrats on being BOTD.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”